Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Von Schweikert Repair?

(1/4) > >>

rigpimp:
Well, my wife was away so the stereo was cranking this weekend.  I messed up one of my Von Schweikert VR-4jr's playing a Matisyahu show I recorded back in November.

Anyone have any insight on repair?  I really don't want to empty lead, or ship. 

I am also in the market to have the veneer redone as they came kind of beat up when I bought them.  I imagine that I can have this done anywhere?

Thanks for any insight.

raymonda:
Usually the speaker manufacturer will send you a replacement driver and you can replace it yourself. Also, it probably is an OEM, that you can buy from the manufacturer off the shelf, obtain cheaper and, again, replace yourself.

rigpimp:

--- Quote from: raymonda on June 05, 2018, 03:08:57 PM ---Usually the speaker manufacturer will send you a replacement driver and you can replace it yourself. Also, it probably is an OEM, that you can buy from the manufacturer off the shelf, obtain cheaper and, again, replace yourself.

--- End quote ---

I pulled it out last night as I know the "upgrades" are made by scanspeak in Denmark.  (Not cheaply I might add).  The driver was completely unlabeled other than a VSA and a serial number on the sticker.  I'll call VSA today.

rigpimp:
So I called VSA and spoke to Leif.  He wants me to ship him all four bass module drivers.  They cost $250 each to replace and they don't have very many left as the VR 4JR was discontinued in 2005.  I told him how much I paid for mine pair and the only thing he said was "You have to be shitting me!"

I am going though a troubleshooting process tonight.  I am going to pull the offending left, lower driver and swap it out with one of the good ones from the right side.  I need to make sure that it isn't just a errant piece of lead shot or something.

Chilly Brioschi:

--- Quote from: rigpimp on June 05, 2018, 05:09:09 PM ---
I need to make sure that it isn't just a errant piece of lead shot or something.

--- End quote ---

A wise move
Bright flashlight, a small mirror, and some careful inspection.
I also have a very soft horsehair paint brush, but be sure to not leave bristles behind.
Sadly, warpage from coil heat is the #1 cause.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version