Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Drop out problems during last recording - need help

(1/3) > >>

StPatric:
Does anybody have any idea what this is cause by (see image attach)?
I just use the same gear a month ago and had no problems at all.
Nor ever had with any of this gear with other gear.
Did a 3 hour recording this pass Saturday,
and had this kind of drop out about half through for only 7 minutes.
I was sitting and doing nothing different than I was for the rest of the gig.
I did stand for the last few tunes and no problem there.
As you can see from the screen shot it is totally clean drop out.
No static or noise to speak of.

Equipment Used :  CA CAFS > CA Ugly 2 > Mogami cable gold Neutrik 1/8″ > Sony pcm-m10
All of the above equipment is relatively new and shows no sign of wear.

daspyknows:
Check the stereo cables, I would bet one of them is bad.

seethreepo:
Did you format  your sd card ?

nassau73:
To me it looks like you have 4 dropouts each one with some sort of artifact. Kinda hard to tell from your screen shot but the spectral color in the dropout (blue) appears to be different from the material that was recorded without any problems.

Whatever it is - it looks consistent. As stated in a previous post, one of the cables or connectors somewhere in your chain could be the culprit.

As an example, I recently ran into a problem with my PCM-M10 and the line input jack and like in your situation it all started one day out of the clear blue sky.

Using several sets of mics and caps > battery box > line in - I was getting distortion and dropouts. When I switched to using the mic input with the same chain of mics and bbox, everything was fine. My M10 is about 5 years old but I only get to use it around 10 times a year (not too many shows here on Maui).

As I was researching various possibilities of why this was happening, I came across an article or post somewhere that said the metal that some companies use in their internal jacks can get "stretched" after repeated insertion and removal of mic plugs, etc. leading to performance issues.

StPatric:

--- Quote from: daspyknows on September 25, 2018, 09:28:26 AM ---Check the stereo cables, I would bet one of them is bad.

--- End quote ---

That's what I was planning to do today, when I find some free time, HA !

I going to a show tomorrow night, hoping to figure this out soon .....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version