Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Listening to shows on the way home advice

(1/4) > >>

ThePiedPiper:
I mainly travel fair distances to attend a show since I live in the land where time has forgotten (not complaining). What I would "like" to do is take the microSD card out of my recorder (Zoom F1) and plop it into a nice portable player like the Sony NW-A45 (or a FiiO) and listen to it on the way home or in the hotel. My questions are :

-- Will the Portable Player somehow try to format the MicroSD card for compatibility and I lose the recording?
-- Would I be better off just using the recorder as the playback unit and using a headphone pre-amp?

I like the idea of the portable player as it's BlueTooth and I can play it through the car system as well. I know some recorders have BlueTooth, like the new Roland R7, but then I would be purchasing a new recorder and the whole setup changes. Some help here from people who actually have done this would be VERY helpful. I would hate for someone to guess wrong and I lose a recording.

The portable player I have in mind is this one if that info helps ...

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-NW-A45-Walkman-Hi-Res-Grayish/dp/B0765ZVM6Y

noahbickart:

--- Quote from: ThePiedPiper on November 30, 2018, 12:46:02 AM ---I mainly travel fair distances to attend a show since I live in the land where time has forgotten (not complaining). What I would "like" to do is take the microSD card out of my recorder (Zoom F1) and plop it into a nice portable player like the Sony NW-A45 (or a FiiO) and listen to it on the way home or in the hotel. My questions are :

-- Will the Portable Player somehow try to format the MicroSD card for compatibility and I lose the recording?
-- Would I be better off just using the recorder as the playback unit and using a headphone pre-amp?

I like the idea of the portable player as it's BlueTooth and I can play it through the car system as well. I know some recorders have BlueTooth, like the new Roland R7, but then I would be purchasing a new recorder and the whole setup changes. Some help here from people who actually have done this would be VERY helpful. I would hate for someone to guess wrong and I lose a recording.

The portable player I have in mind is this one if that info helps ...

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-NW-A45-Walkman-Hi-Res-Grayish/dp/B0765ZVM6Y

--- End quote ---

why not just use the 1/8 inch analog audio out of the Zoom?

ThePiedPiper:

--- Quote ---why not just use the 1/8 inch analog audio out of the Zoom?

--- End quote ---

Hello! Thanks for the reply.

As I mentioned above, that is an option, but not really my question. My question is, will the MicroSD card be reformatted if I take it from the Zoom and install into a media player like the Sony or FiiO? I like the ease of use and some other features (BlueTooth) of the nicer audio players.

--- Quote from: ThePiedPiper on November 30, 2018, 12:46:02 AM ----- Will the Portable Player somehow try to format the MicroSD card for compatibility and I lose the recording?

--- End quote ---

vanark:
You could try it out at home AFTER you have pulled your recording off the card.

Gutbucket:
^ that, to be sure. Prior to losing a recording.  And as regular practice, it would be good if you could make a backup copy to a laptop, tablet or phone after the show and before moving the card to the player for travel listening.

Your question is dependant on the playback device.  Most will play existing files on the card as long as they recognize the file format.  Some may need the files in a particular directory.  If the device needs to reformat the card to recognize it, it should ask permission first, upon which you can cancel the operation.

I usually play the files using the same recorder.  That's pretty safe, such that I don't worry about backing up the file prior to listening while traveling home.  Sometimes I need to use a different recorder as playback device- for instance, I record 4 channels using a Tascam DR2d, but the DR2d can only playback one of the two stereo pairs at a time.  If I want to hear the full 4 channel recording I use a laptop to backup the files, and rename them on the card to conform to the file name / directory structure used by the Roland R-44, which I then use for 4-channel playback. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version