Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Help! Me recover a missing file on Roland R-07

(1/3) > >>

down2earthlandscaper:
Tommy Emmanuel and Jerry Douglas were soooo good last night! With stricter bag policies and wands at this venue now, I relied on only one rig... :facepalm:
All looked great but when the show ended and I went to power down the R-07 it was already off - I had lost battery power at some point very close to the end of the show :'( :'( :'( :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
 (I'm not familiar with Roland recorders, this is really my first one. Most of my other decks will save the file if they lose power.

Is there any way to recover the missing file?

daspyknows:
Its likely a corrupted file header.  Do a search on here.  Many threads on how to do it.  Just don't write to the card before you try to recover.

Sebastian:
It might also be wise to make a block-based backup of the card. On Mac or Unix systems, you can use the dd command. I have no idea if there are alternatives on Windows, though.

If you don't see the file, then your card's partition table might not have been updated with the file info. However, your file might still have been written to the card. Think of it as a chapter in a book without an entry in the table of contents. The content is there in the book, but you can't easily find it without the missing entry in the table of contents.

I actually wrote myself a little program some time ago that searches a disk (or disk image created with dd) for all data that looks like a WAVE file. It then backs up that data to new files on another disk. I was able to restore files that I deleted with this method.

Which operating system are you running?

down2earthlandscaper:

--- Quote from: Sebastian on December 07, 2018, 04:15:52 AM ---It might also be wise to make a block-based backup of the card. On Mac or Unix systems, you can use the dd command. I have no idea if there are alternatives on Windows, though.

If you don't see the file, then your card's partition table might not have been updated with the file info. However, your file might still have been written to the card. Think of it as a chapter in a book without an entry in the table of contents. The content is there in the book, but you can't easily find it without the missing entry in the table of contents.

I actually wrote myself a little program some time ago that searches a disk (or disk image created with dd) for all data that looks like a WAVE file. It then backs up that data to new files on another disk. I was able to restore files that I deleted with this method.

Which operating system are you running?

--- End quote ---

Mac OS Sierra. I opened the card on my computer and can now see a file that wasn't visible to me at all on the R-07, but it's showing up here. It has a little padlock icon next to it, where all the other files look normal and play.

down2earthlandscaper:
I can actually see the file in the "finder" on the R-07. It also has a padlock icon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version