Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 12v SLA + JB3 Problem  (Read 5896 times)

Offline aberg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Canada
12v SLA + JB3 Problem
« on: July 27, 2004, 11:06:09 PM »
Ok, so I've rigged up a 12v 7.5aH SLA batt to a UA-5 and my JB3 using cigarette adapters and a splitter... i have a 9v adapter for the UA-5 and a 4.5v adapter for the JB3.. the problem is that they're rated only at 1A. This is fine for the UA-5 but I've heard the JB3 is known to draw more than 1 amp sometimes... I tested it out a while ago before I rigged it up with the UA-5 as well and it ran solid for 30 hours without problem... so I figured 1amp was fine.. now that i'm testing it with the full rig, it didn't even reach 10 hours... I checked and the JB3 was dead... I powered back up and it worked so the battery isn't dead.. the UA-5 was still running... is this likely that it locked up due to needing more current or could there be another problem?

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
Re: 12v SLA + JB3 Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 11:17:11 PM »
The only other possible issue might be that the JB3 was kept in a tight pocket in a bag throughout the 10 hour test, and I felt it was getting warm at times but didn't think to take it out and leave it in the open... do you guys always give your JB3 tons of air when taping? Maybe that was the problem...

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 11:22:43 PM »
Ok, testing is resuming... the JB3 is out in the open now. If it still freezes up, I guess I should invest in a higher output car adapter ... thing is, they're damn hard to find here in Canada above 1A... and I'm sick of spending so much damn money on duties and shipping to get stuff online from the US.... any suggestions? Would you feel comfortable sticking with a 1A if the test actually works?

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 12:24:22 AM »
I think 1amp might be cutting it close, I made my own homebrew box for it and regulated it around 1 amp and it blew the fuse.  If you need a better charger try wal mart, and if there is no wal mart near you I can try and find one an work out a way to ship it to you if you need.
mics & cameras

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 12:48:55 AM »
Ok, so I've rigged up a 12v 7.5aH SLA batt to a UA-5 and my JB3 using cigarette adapters and a splitter... i have a 9v adapter for the UA-5 and a 4.5v adapter for the JB3.. the problem is that they're rated only at 1A. This is fine for the UA-5 but I've heard the JB3 is known to draw more than 1 amp sometimes... I tested it out a while ago before I rigged it up with the UA-5 as well and it ran solid for 30 hours without problem... so I figured 1amp was fine.. now that i'm testing it with the full rig, it didn't even reach 10 hours... I checked and the JB3 was dead... I powered back up and it worked so the battery isn't dead.. the UA-5 was still running... is this likely that it locked up due to needing more current or could there be another problem?

The UA-5 will take 12v, so you can cut out that adapter. Creative's car adapter might be your soloution. It's made for the jb3, so if it is a power issue that will fix it.

PS make sure you take the jb3 batteries out when running on sla.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 12:57:55 AM »
Actually, I think the problem was that the battery just died... does it make sense that a 7.5aH SLA would only last appx. 10 hours powering the UA-5 and JB3 together? I've heard people run this for twice that.... I'd be dissappointed if that were the case. Also, why should I take the batteries out while running on SLA.

Offline bhtoque

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 01:02:02 AM »
If the internals are in, the jb3 will try to charge them off the external battery. The charging process is not 100% efficient, so you lose power and shorten your run time.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
>AM Hyper-Conductors
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 01:12:33 AM »
What if the internal is already fully charged and the charging indicator isn't on?

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 02:55:41 AM »
I think even if the battery indicator isn't on it is still trickle charging them, or so I've read that is what it does.   Don't think it'd be using up too much juice to do that but I guess technically it would be a little bit of waste.   I think if I ever use my external power I'd keep fully charged internals in just to be safe cause they are there for backup if your external source got turned off/unplugged/etc.   

I think you definately are gonna have to upgrade from the 1 amp adapter.  I'd say 1.5 amp at least...maybe even 2 amp like the wallmart one is I feel very safe with that.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline bhtoque

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 11:46:53 AM »
I think even if the battery indicator isn't on it is still trickle charging them, or so I've read that is what it does.   Don't think it'd be using up too much juice to do that but I guess technically it would be a little bit of waste.   I think if I ever use my external power I'd keep fully charged internals in just to be safe cause they are there for backup if your external source got turned off/unplugged/etc.   

If you are running on external, and pull the plug expecting the internals to kick in there's a 90% chance it will lock up. Did it to me every time I tried switching from internal to external (and vice versa) on the fly when I was testing it out. ymmv

JAson
MG 200/210/270
>AM Hyper-Conductors
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 11:58:05 AM »
Doesn't the charging circuit on the jb3 also result in a power-draw surge when started up. I agree, leave out the internals and see how the test goes.

Also, cut the 9 volt adaptor out for the ua5 (since it runs fine on 12 volts) the 12>9 adaptor will "eat" power as well and cutting it out could save you some energy.

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 04:06:11 PM »
The walmarts here in Canada don't seem to stock that 2 amp adapter... anyone wanna do me a favour and pick one up and send it? I'll pay shipping etc... I will work out the battery setup a little better and do a few more tests.. I wanna get it closer to 15-20 hours off the 7.5ah but I might be dreaming.. I dunno.

Offline bhtoque

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 04:09:41 PM »
The walmarts here in Canada don't seem to stock that 2 amp adapter... anyone wanna do me a favour and pick one up and send it? I'll pay shipping etc... I will work out the battery setup a little better and do a few more tests.. I wanna get it closer to 15-20 hours off the 7.5ah but I might be dreaming.. I dunno.

I was able to get 18 hours of record on a 7.5ah 12v>creative's adapter>jb3 no internals with headphones and occasional backlight use.

I'd have to say tossing the ua-5 into the picture is going to bring you down to around 10-12 hours (rough guess)

JAson
MG 200/210/270
>AM Hyper-Conductors
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 04:20:39 PM »
Yeah, I guess for taping a 3 day festival, my best bet would be to buy another 12v... maybe I'll grab a bigger one... 12ah. I'm not overly concerned with the weight.

Offline bhtoque

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 04:32:10 PM »
I've got two 7ah 12v's. It works well because one lasts longer than the other takes to charge.

I also recharged the jb3's internals in the car overnight.

a bat sled for 8 aa's with an adaptaplug socket is my emergency back-up plan.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
>AM Hyper-Conductors
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com