Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: $3000 cable using stock Home Depot wire...  (Read 12147 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: $3000 cable using stock Home Depot wire...
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 06:10:03 PM »
good luck :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 07:16:05 PM »
fwiw - I'll never use straight copper in my stereo again. Copper has a low end bloom that does not sit well with my ears, perhaps it's the fact that I run tubes but the lowend color and warmth that copper brings is just too much for me. I much prefer the clarity and balance of silver-clad cables.

on a bright system though they may do better

also those HD cables still have thrown the widest soundstage I've ever heard on my system, so they've got that going for them.... which is nice
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 12:25:02 PM »
so they've got that going for them.... which is nice

Nice point Carl.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Tim

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 12:30:23 PM »
;D

Offline Tim

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 06:59:49 PM »
trust your ears

and your wallet

the HD's served me fine, just wanted to point out some sonic issues to keep in mind :)

Offline Evil Taper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 02:47:44 AM »
So you are making speaker wires from extension cords?  Or am I totally confused here?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2005, 03:52:43 AM »
werd

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 08:27:18 PM »
>>Where else can you find an HDMI cable though?  I was looking around everywhere and the only other option to Monster Cable was RCA for about $30 less.  I did end up buying a used Monster HDMI for $50 shipped on ebay though ... so not too bad.<<

i went to Coconuts and found an acoustic research 6 foot hdmi cable for 19.99.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 06:41:22 AM »
WTF is Coconuts?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2005, 03:20:42 PM »
Coconuts is a music store...

And I use these HD extension cord speaker cables...  I bought a 50' piece and chopped myslef 2x 10' cables.  I sent the extra to NicksPicks, but never heard back about any comps or anything...  NP, where are you???  What do you think???

Big honking cables for cheap.  Sounds good to me, I need to improve my playback system before I think to upgrade my cable from copper extension cord to silver cable...  Need new speakers first...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2005, 03:52:05 PM »
remember that silver is not the end all, and copper is not necessarily bad... both have their own sound and may work better in certain systems than others

Offline Burnt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 10:52:45 AM »
This thread has got my interest and am thinking about checking out the Home Depot cables.  Is this the one that everyone is talking about:
http://www.homedepot.ca/escalate/store/DetailPage?pls=hd_canada_gift&bc=hd_canada_gift&pc=212538&tab=desc&clist=0189803237ff:018980323811
Just asking so I know excatly what I want when I walk in to a store near me.   ;D
AKG C4000 > P-mod UA-5 > NJB3 (48KHz) > SVU-2
DPA 4061 (x1, hat mounted) > MPS 6010 > P-mod UA-5 >  NJB3 (48KHz)

Looking for another 4061 or even a pair of 406x mics to replace my single.  Please help me stealth in stereo.

Offline Burnt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 08:49:20 AM »
This thread has got my interest and am thinking about checking out the Home Depot cables.  Is this the one that everyone is talking about:
http://www.homedepot.ca/escalate/store/DetailPage?pls=hd_canada_gift&bc=hd_canada_gift&pc=212538&tab=desc&clist=0189803237ff:018980323811
Just asking so I know excatly what I want when I walk in to a store near me.   ;D

Bump.  Again just wondering if this is the cable that everyone is talking about in this thread.
Later
AKG C4000 > P-mod UA-5 > NJB3 (48KHz) > SVU-2
DPA 4061 (x1, hat mounted) > MPS 6010 > P-mod UA-5 >  NJB3 (48KHz)

Looking for another 4061 or even a pair of 406x mics to replace my single.  Please help me stealth in stereo.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 10:01:45 AM »
As always Mike, I think you get what you pay for...unless you are in the world that believes cables do not make a differnce, then buy all the extension cable you want :P

I do use home depot cable on my subwoofer where I wanted all copper cable anyway, so it works fairl well though it sounds a bit wooly to me.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2005, 03:58:18 PM »
I don't buy that someone was rebranding hd cable and asking 3 grand for a second, at least not anyone with the slightest amount of integrity. 
quoted for...ahh fuck it
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com