Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicroTrack 24/96 Statement from M-Audio  (Read 26292 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MicroTrack 24/96 Statement from M-Audio
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2005, 05:32:22 PM »
I have a question. 

Has anyone heard anything from the M-Audio rep that started this thread?

Is he still around?  Lots of questions still going unanswered.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2005, 05:41:50 PM »
I have a question. 

Looks like he is lurking every now and again.

Last Active:     October 20, 2005, 12:51:14 PM
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2005, 12:00:45 PM »
Bump.  I'm interested in this too.

I have some comments and questions, having just bought a Micro Track 24/96.

I wonder if anyone encountered this issue - I have drives mapped to "a", "c", "d", "e", "f", and a network external hard drive mapped to "g". When I plugged my micro track into the computer to install the upgrade, it was apparent thaqt the system recognized the microtrack, but I could not see it or find it. I could  eject it, and I could look at properties, but it would not show up under "my computer". I cannot remember exactly where I was finding the properties (somewhere in the control panel), but I found it was showing that the Micro Track was also mapped to drive "g". It was almost as if the Micro Track was stuck behind the other external drive. I then re-mapped the hard drive (to "m"), and intantly the Micro Track showed up and I was able to do the firmware upgrade. I have no idea if anyone has experienced anything like this or if it has anything to do with the latest firmware upgrade, but I throw it out there in case any one else has any problems.

I have one big burning question that does not exactly get answered in the manual. (or it does and I do not like the answer). It involves the L/M/H button and exactly what it does. What I want to know is if I use a 1/8 input, for my mics, can I put the switch in the "L" (line) position. Willl it then act as a "line in" and not a "mic in". From my NJB3 days (going all the way back a week or so), I always plugged my mics 1/8 cable into a battery box, and that into a "line in" connection and that yielded superior sound than the "mic in" connection. The manual seems to imply that the "L" (Line in) position is only for the 1/4 mic inputs. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!!
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2005, 03:36:54 PM »

I wonder if anyone encountered this issue - I have drives mapped to "a", "c", "d", "e", "f", and a network external hard drive mapped to "g". When I plugged my micro track into the computer to install the upgrade, it was apparent thaqt the system recognized the microtrack, but I could not see it or find it. I could  eject it, and I could look at properties, but it would not show up under "my computer". I cannot remember exactly where I was finding the properties (somewhere in the control panel), but I found it was showing that the Micro Track was also mapped to drive "g". It was almost as if the Micro Track was stuck behind the other external drive. I then re-mapped the hard drive (to "m"), and intantly the Micro Track showed up and I was able to do the firmware upgrade. I have no idea if anyone has experienced anything like this or if it has anything to do with the latest firmware upgrade, but I throw it out there in case any one else has any problems.

I've run into this same problem using thumb USB drives at work. I assume you are on PC. For some stupid reason, the PC tries to place drive into slot that is already mapped, and this is not a MT-specific problem. This is how I fixed it:

- Right-click "My Computer" on desktop and choose "Manage"
- Go to "Disk Management" under "Storage"
- The MT should show up on the screen
- Right-click on the section for the MT in the bottom right pane, and choose "Change Drive Letters & Paths"
- Change drive letter to something you never use for anything else
- DONE!

I've never done that with an MT, because I don't own one, but I bet it works, and I bet it'll fix it for good even after you plug-unplug the MT. Let me know if it worked...

-- Taint
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2005, 03:51:11 PM »

I've run into this same problem using thumb USB drives at work. I assume you are on PC. For some stupid reason, the PC tries to place drive into slot that is already mapped, and this is not a MT-specific problem. This is how I fixed it:

- Right-click "My Computer" on desktop and choose "Manage"
- Go to "Disk Management" under "Storage"
- The MT should show up on the screen
- Right-click on the section for the MT in the bottom right pane, and choose "Change Drive Letters & Paths"
- Change drive letter to something you never use for anything else
- DONE!

I've never done that with an MT, because I don't own one, but I bet it works, and I bet it'll fix it for good even after you plug-unplug the MT. Let me know if it worked...

-- Taint

Good to know the mapping problem is more a PC quirk than a Micro Track issue. Your suggestion is exactly what I did to solve the problem.

Now....Can anyone supply an answer about the L/M/H button?? and exactly what it does. What I want to know is if I use a 1/8 input, for my mics, can I put the switch in the "L" (line) position. Willl it then act as a "line in" and not a "mic in". From my NJB3 days (going all the way back a week or so), I always plugged my mics 1/8 cable into a battery box, and that into a "line in" connection and that yielded superior sound than the "mic in" connection. The manual seems to imply that the "L" (Line in) position is only for the 1/4 mic inputs. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2005, 04:10:34 PM »
2 samples -

one with errors, one without.

does this sound like a write speed problem?
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2005, 06:00:29 PM »
Now....Can anyone supply an answer about the L/M/H button?? and exactly what it does. What I want to know is if I use a 1/8 input, for my mics, can I put the switch in the "L" (line) position. Willl it then act as a "line in" and not a "mic in". From my NJB3 days (going all the way back a week or so), I always plugged my mics 1/8 cable into a battery box, and that into a "line in" connection and that yielded superior sound than the "mic in" connection. The manual seems to imply that the "L" (Line in) position is only for the 1/4 mic inputs. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!!

I found this discussed a little in a separate thread.

Edit:  I forgot the URL to the discussion  :-)
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=52968.0

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 10:29:15 PM by rodeen »
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2005, 07:02:40 PM »
2 samples -

Yeah, that's definitely dropped samples...probably caused from write speed. What media are you using and at what bitrate/sample rate were you running at the time?

Gearin' up for Yonder. You should make the drive. ;)
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2005, 12:25:20 PM »
2 samples -

Yeah, that's definitely dropped samples...probably caused from write speed. What media are you using and at what bitrate/sample rate were you running at the time?

Dane-Elec CF card at 24/48.  It happened occassionally throughout the 2nd half of the show, not at all in the first half.

I won't make ymsb - i kind of wish there wasn't so much going on in life right now.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2005, 09:30:37 AM »

Actually, a lot of vendors have their own message boards for customers (even vendors whose products are not released while still in beta).

freelunch, fyi, beta refers to something 'still in development' possibly released for further testing.  if the vendor you're referring to in the above statement is indeed m-audio, i think it is inapropriate to do so in their own thread.  the device has been released for everyday use, and is being used by many without fail.  m-audio has addressed many of the issues in the bug report and are replacing defective units(like mine) if necessary.  no need to be biting the hand that feeds us.
we all live downstream.

Offline mhibbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2005, 07:36:21 PM »
I seem to remember a rumor that said one of the delays of this product was the fact that the switching supply to create 48v put noise on the inputs at a guess I would say thats your story and 30v is the compromise fix to get this product to market.
That said this is a fantastic product at the right price and if your going to use mics that need 48v at 10ma then you are going to be useing an esoteric pre-amp as well i think a lot of you expect to much for too little money.
To put this in perspective, i am useing a Sound Devices mix-pre as my font end and that cost over $600 dollers just for 2 mic pre,s and no a2d.
No firmware is going to fix this and you can whine as much as you like it is what it is, only a revision to the hardware or maybe a version 2 will fix this, remember the JB3 did not come close for taping untill version 3 and this thing is almost there.

Large difference here.  The JB3 was never promoted as a taping device.  It took several versions to iron out the taper specific issues.  The M-Audio was very much designed to be a field recorder from the outset.  Claiming to be a "pro recorder" lands your product in a critical circle.

From their website...
"2-channel WAV and MP3 recording and playback for pro recording, meetings, training, education and worship"

It was promoted as having 48v phantom and now doesn't?  Just a quick glance through the list of compatible mics is enough to indicate it wasn't intentional.  Not to mention it makes little business sense to deviate from the 48v "standard". 

Now I'd agree that I wouldn't expect the pre to be very good at that price point, but if I were a stealth taper intending to use it as an all in one solution w/ some 48v mics I'd be upset.  Nobody expects it to be perfect out of the box, but I wouldn't consider this issue in particular to be a minor oversight or bug they didn't catch. 

To their credit, they're making an effort to address it, and I'm glad they did it here as well.

Mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2005, 07:41:57 PM »
the device has been released for everyday use, and is being used by many without fail

The firmware is still described as Beta.  Beta firmware = beta product.

Roving Sign

« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2005, 07:52:45 PM »
I have a question. 

If he ever comes back -  maybe he can clear up some the CO2 bashing that goes on around here...

Offline L Ron Hoover

• "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2005, 10:34:58 PM »

Actually, a lot of vendors have their own message boards for customers (even vendors whose products are not released while still in beta).

freelunch, fyi, beta refers to something 'still in development' possibly released for further testing.  if the vendor you're referring to in the above statement is indeed m-audio, i think it is inapropriate to do so in their own thread.  the device has been released for everyday use, and is being used by many without fail.  m-audio has addressed many of the issues in the bug report and are replacing defective units(like mine) if necessary.  no need to be biting the hand that feeds us.

I'm just curious John, why did you need to send yours back? At this point, I'm wondering if mine is defective.

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2005, 11:49:05 PM »
2 samples -

Dane-Elec CF card at 24/48.  It happened occassionally throughout the 2nd half of the show, not at all in the first half.

I won't make ymsb - i kind of wish there wasn't so much going on in life right now.

Your problems stems from the Dane-Elec card.  Supposedly the MT2496 does not work well with it.  As i listed in a previous post in a statement i got from MAudio, you need a 45x or greater card.
I ditched my Dane-Elec card after finding this out.  $170 on ebay it was sold for
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com