Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: home computer help  (Read 4097 times)

Offline tmfraley2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • FOB is where I want to be....
home computer help
« on: August 11, 2003, 12:04:47 PM »
alright, so i just bought a house and i have no computer, since the one I had before was the  ex's.  Anyone have any suggestions on what I should get, and wher efrom, i am kind alimiting the system to around a grand, but could go a little higher/lower, any ideas?  Thanks
"Even jesus couldn't pull a good tape from the lawn" - Nick Gregory 6/28/05

KM140>V2>722

DaryanLenz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:home computer help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 12:07:59 PM »
I would say look for one with good specs and that should just about do it!  The higher the processor, the better!   More ram, dvd-rw/cd-rw combo drive.  I personally don't give two shits about name brands when it comes to computers, as parts are arts.  You pretty much are paying for customer service, which quite frankly you could aliviate by giving me a call if you ever have problems.  I have broken and fixed enough computers to fix just about anything!  Post some links to stuff you are looking at...and I will probably suggest some later when I have a little more time after lunch!

Also, ebay is a great way to pick up an absolute steal on desktops!

Daryan

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 12:57:10 PM »
If you need a monitor/keyboard/mouse and everything else besides the "box" then it is probably best to just get one from Dell or a similar competitor.  Piecing it out might save you a small amount of money but with shipping and the limited (in comparison) warrenties (which can be confusing w/multiple sources) it's probably not worth it, especially if your not computer savvy.

I'd like to stress this point.  You DO NOT need a 3ghz Pentium 4 to read e-mail, make a word document, and burn CD's.  Hell you don't need a 3ghz machine for anything past some extreme gaming or editing a big ass movie.

As such, you can save a good deal by not buying the "fastest thing out there" as you won't need it.  I stress this... people have gotten so wrapped up in the numbers game they don't even realize that software/technology hasn't caughten up to the processor so it ends up being underutilized.  E-mail doesn't require it, internet doesn't, CD's / downloading doesn't, etc. etc.

So I have to ask, what do you want to do with this PC?

The things I would look at when purchasing a PC in order of importance to me:
 - The motherboard
    - what is the front side bus speed (most important- 300, 333, 400mhz?)
    - what chipset does it use
    - enough slots for everything I want
    - does it have slots I need for existing hardware
    - any features I wouldn't use (onboard audio/video)
    - any features I want (DDR ram, Serial ATA maybe, RAID, USB2, Firewire)
    - how fast is the ATA (133mhz, etc.)

- The processor
     * First decide if you want Pentium or AMD.  Pentium is the "industry standard" but more expensive then AMD.  I am a big AMD fan for their price, technology, and "non big monster corp" feel.
     -  L1 and L2 cache size (bigger the better)
     - Processor speed
     - Front side bus speed it supports

Those are the biggest issues for me personally.  I pick the mobo and the processor, all the rest falls into place....

You can find great deals at Dell's "Outlet" which is used to sell used systems (most with part of warrenty left!).. or even in todays market there are *super* deals on desktops, check their "Home User" and "Small Business" sites, you can probably walk away with a schweet PC for less the $600.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfb/default.htm

Any more questions be sure and ask, this beats work  anyday :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 12:57:33 PM by npsinboro »
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 01:05:07 PM »
I think a "very good" system for a home user right now would be something along the lines of this:

AMD 1700+ XP Processor (1.47ghz) @ 133 FSB
or
Pentium III 1.40ghz @ 133 FSB
 - I would stay away from first run Pentium 4's and any Celerons.

Two 256 meg DDR 2100 ram chips for 512megs of RAM
 - might up for peformance but can be done later

Two 80 gig hard drives @ 7200 RPM and with ATA100 or higher

Also forgot to mention above I'd recommend AVOIDING any system which uses RAMBUS (RDRAM) memory.  IMHO it's a dying technology, and is much more expensive then the DDR counterpart w/out much in return in terms of performance.

Offline the magoo

• better off dead
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 01:35:33 PM »
DELL rulz man  ;Dim completely happy w/ mine and u can get some nice upgrades for $1000
"if u see me comin' better step aside, alot of men didn't and alot of men died. one fist of iron, the other of steel, and if the right one don't get ya then the left one will"

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 02:04:25 PM »
DELL rulz man

Just don't tell Rabhan that.....
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline tmfraley2

• Taperssection All-Star
  • FOB is where I want to be....
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 02:05:06 PM »
thanks for the advice, so i am looking at the dell webpages, anytype fo system that others have they recommend from dell, just to know whatto look for?  I want to be able to eventually use it to edit digital movies from a digital video camera, also wold like it to be able torun fast enuff to surf the net and burn discs at the same time, what are basics needed there, i know a good amount about recording music, just not much about computers, thanks for the ehlp +T
"Even jesus couldn't pull a good tape from the lawn" - Nick Gregory 6/28/05

KM140>V2>722

Offline mirth

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 02:09:15 PM »
Realistically, whatever Dell's current sub-$1000 deal would be sufficient for doing whatever you please.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline the magoo

• better off dead
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 02:29:10 PM »
mine origanally $750 after winXP,memory upgrade,audio upgrade(sub-woofer,roxio5)and a couple others....dont have the book in front of me or i would be more specific....came to $1100...not to mention my scanner-printer-copier ;)make sure u get a free cd-burner they should still be offering it
and i have  pentiium 4 seems golden to me so far
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 02:31:02 PM by the magoo »
"if u see me comin' better step aside, alot of men didn't and alot of men died. one fist of iron, the other of steel, and if the right one don't get ya then the left one will"

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 02:31:25 PM »
DIY
npsinboro's system above would work fine. you could build that athlon system for $600 or less.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 02:40:53 PM »
Here's some Dell links.. I agree with Rokpunk that if your comfortable around PC's and know what you want, building them is best.  But remember no tech support, no big warrenty and you need all sorts of little components (vid cards, sound card, etc.), which could mean big shipping if you order from seperate places.

These come from www.techbargains.com a great site ;D
Save $203 over regular config.

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=QwwmKliEDWo&subid=1&offerid=34197.1&type=10&tmpid=442&RD_PARM1=http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/topics/segtopic_bts_main.htm&u1=999

Dell has the Inspiron 1100 Notebook Celeron 2Ghz, 14.1" XGA Screen, 256MB RAM/30GB HD, CDRW/DVD, 56K modem, Ethernet, XP Home for a low $949 - $250 rebate - $25 off coupon: B036FDAB63CA = $674 shipped free. No tax in most areas. (Thanks Rick)  
$250 rebate Exp 8/12/03  

Budget Desktop $349
http://www.techbargains.com/jump.cfm?id=9

Dimension 2400 Celeron 2.2Ghz Desktop 128MB/40GB CD, Ethernet, 6 months ISP, XP Home $349, no rebates. Free shipping. Get $150 off 18" LCD 1800FP, only +$400

Select Desktops, Choose Dimension, Featured Systems under 2400, Customize it on leftmost.  

I just tried that last deal and even with a 15" monitor it's only $429, helluva steal.  I'd recommend not doing the "upgrades" through the Dell site (ram, bigger hard drive, printers, etc.) as you can buy them aftermarker for a LOT cheaper in most cases.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 02:42:57 PM by npsinboro »

Offline mirth

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 02:44:41 PM »
Here's some Dell links.. I agree with Rokpunk that if your comfortable around PC's and know what you want, building them is best.  But remember no tech support, no big warrenty and you need all sorts of little components (vid cards, sound card, etc.), which could mean big shipping if you order from seperate places.

The only thing I'd add about the DIY route is software licensing... Some people care about that, some don't. If you care, buy new from an OEM like Dell. If you could care less about having your OS and other apps licensed, then building your own box (or having a friend do it for ya) could end up saving you a little bit.

rabhan

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2003, 04:36:52 PM »
DELL rulz man

Just don't tell Rabhan that.....

just get the warranty, you will need it.

i will always build my own, unless its a laptop and it sucks you cant build your own laptop.

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2003, 05:09:10 PM »
build your owwwwwwwwwwwn...........

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com