Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Win 2000 v. XP Pro for laptop taping  (Read 8615 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Win 2000 v. XP Pro for laptop taping
« on: August 29, 2003, 10:05:28 AM »
can someone please explain to me why Win2000 is a better OS for laptop taping?  i have searched but can't find a thread that discusses it.  I thought i remembered seeing some discussion but didn't pay attention to it.

rabhan

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:Win 2000 v. XP Pro for laptop taping
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2003, 10:27:00 AM »
http://24bitfaq.org/

" 1.1.1.1.2        What operating system works best for 24-bit recording?

A: Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 Professional have shown to be very stable, reliable performers when used for digital audio. They are the only Intel based Microsoft OS’s that should be considered for recording use. While many sound card manufacturers are striving for compatibility with Windows 95/98/ME, these operating systems are poor platforms for audio recording. The lack of true multitasking in these OS’s puts the recordist at high risk of dropping samples while recording. From experience, samples can be lost very easily by merely moving the mouse, closing the display lid, causing power management events (e.g. plugging in an A/C adapter while running) and otherwise changing the focus from one window to another. Program stalls for unknown reasons have been known to occur, sending streaming bits of digital audio data into the abyss. Additionally, because of the architecture of these “home user” OS’s, an errant or poorly written driver or program can cause total system instabilities without a moment’s notice, leaving the recordist staring at a blue screen. Windows NT and 2000 Professional employ a true multitasking and multithreaded architecture, and programs and drivers are generally well protected from stepping on each other in ways that frequently occur on 95/98machines. Still, the importance of a cleanly installed, properly patched and upgraded OS cannot be understated. The use of something as simple as a mismatched or outdated driver can easily cause system instability. In any case, an OS installation should be thoroughly tested before relying on it in the field. Users who insist on avoiding Microsoft OS’s by using Linux instead will undoubtedly run into the driver (or lack thereof) support issue for at least the soundcard. Yes sir, Billy Gates certainly does have us PC guys by the short hairs. "
« Last Edit: August 29, 2003, 10:28:36 AM by Rabhan »

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2003, 10:29:59 AM »
thanks jon...so do the positive things said about win2k not apply to XP Pro?

rabhan

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2003, 10:33:40 AM »
however, i am not sure that this page excludes XP. XP is based on the 2k kernal, but it has a lot more features and stuff that you dont need for taping. win2k is very barebones and more stabile. damon, i have win2k and winxp on my laptop. i use win2k for only recording, and winxp for daily use. the win2k partition is stripped down with no software but wavelab. this reduces the load on the os compared to my xp partition which has antivirus, MS office, and a whole host of applications ans services that run, which cause more of a burden if i try to also record with it. can a machine with a 1+GHz cpu and over 512M ram handle it, probably, but why try when i got the stable 2k OS that is bulletproof.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2003, 10:37:57 AM »
thanks, jon, that makes sense. +t.  i've noticed just how much dumb shit is always running in the background of my xp machine at home, like 40 processes and all i'm doing is surfing the net.  i'll probably end up going with 2k cause when i get whatever machine i get, it's gonna be used pretty much exclusively for taping and maybe some web stuff and watching dvd's on airplanes  8)  but that's about it.

rabhan

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2003, 10:39:17 AM »
well, when you get your laptop, PM me, i can help you get it setup.

"someone set us up the laptop" hehe

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2003, 10:40:18 AM »
ok, thanks...not sure if i'll need to do a dual boot setup, but it probably can't hurt right?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 10:41:40 AM »
ok, thanks...not sure if i'll need to do a dual boot setup, but it probably can't hurt right?

IMO, you should definitely dual boot.  At some point, you're going to want to install non-audio s/w on your laptop.  I figure, why risk screwing everything up?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

rabhan

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2003, 10:42:26 AM »
dual boot and ghost! ghost is the shit!

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2003, 10:42:37 AM »

IMO, you should definitely dual boot.  At some point, you're going to want to install non-audio s/w on your laptop.  I figure, why risk screwing everything up?

is there a downside to a dual boot?  does it take up substantially more of the HD?

rabhan

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2003, 10:45:52 AM »
thats the only issue. hdd space. so get a larger hdd and you have no issues.

here is my layout for my 30 gig drive:

win2k 6gigs total 4available

winkxp 10gigs total 4available

data 12total 10available

rabhan

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2003, 10:47:18 AM »
so with 10gig available, i can record a couple shows. also wink2 takes up 2gigs and xp takes up 6gigs. xp is more of a hog but also bc of all that apps i got installed on it.

rabhan

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2003, 10:48:37 AM »
but i also have a 120 gig ext hdd which i can dump shows onto if i am doing more than a couple, and i can edit them, track them, flac them, etc. and still have space to record the next night.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2003, 10:50:16 AM »
i'm gonna end up with something in the 30-40 gig range, i think.  if it's 40, i'll probably dual boot, but if 30, i'm not sure.  10 gigs of storage space isn't that much, especially for like a 3night run...i can always add reformat and add a dual boot later on if i decide i want to put other apps on the pc.

rabhan

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2003, 10:52:07 AM »
3 nights of 24/48 is what 6 or 9 gigs of wav data?

rabhan

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2003, 10:53:34 AM »
also, i have close to 4gigs available on each partition. you could take 2gigs from each, and then you would have 14-16 available on the data partition... more than enough for a 3 night run from a 30g drive.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2003, 10:54:53 AM »
i'm gonna be doing 24/96...3 nights of 3 hour shows in wav is about 15 gigs.  i can convert to flac after the show, but still.  and in austin, the first time that i'll run the lappy at a big weekend...there will be 3 nights plus openers plus some kind of dj set i think.  weekends like that will require a lot of space.  plus my suck-ass friends are gonna insist i burn them a copy immediately, so i'll have to creat 16/44 versions as well.

rabhan

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2003, 11:00:02 AM »
u will definately need to consider an external drive for dumping data each night if you want to store 24/96 wav, 24/96 flac, 16/44 wav, 16/44 flac, and 16/44 tracked wav, etc.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2003, 11:01:13 AM »
yeah i've got one that i've got to get replaced or fixed or whatever, but i don't really want to have to travel with it if at all possible.  i'm gonna network with my home box to dump shit.

rabhan

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2003, 11:03:45 AM »
i strongly recommend that you test your shit b4 austin. even tho there will be other rigs there, if yours shits the bed or you run out of space, it will def kill your buzz for the weekend.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2003, 11:05:31 AM »
oh definitely...there are a couple shows in dc i'll tape before then...i should be able to have this together within two weeks.  austin will just be the first big weekend.  i'll have my m1 with me there as a backup plan.  but you're right...there's no way i'd walk into that circus not having run this whole thing for a full show or two.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2003, 12:05:57 PM »
I record on a Fujitsu Lifebook S6110: P3, 1.2GHz, 512RAM, 30GB.  I use XP with a UA5 (usb) and V3> VxPocket (pcmcia).  Software: nTrack, Sound Forge 5.0.  No problems 24/48, but I have had a few 24/96 recordings with a 'skipping' problem like the software froze for a split second then continuted.

My previous 2 laptops both had 2kPro and also worked very well for recording.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

DaryanLenz

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2003, 02:44:33 PM »
At least...My rule of thumb has been for 24/48 1 gig per hour, but I allow for at least 1.5!

Daryan

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2003, 06:54:16 PM »
rabhan and/or shittytapes

would you guys be willing to help me out with setting up my new machine?
I just ordered my new laptop:
Fujitsu Lifebook p2120. 384MB Ram 933mhz Crusoe TM5800 Processor, 40GB Hard Drive, Standard batt in main bay, hi capacity batt in 2nd bay, and 3rd batt in 'modular' bay. Fujitsu says runtime is 17.5hrs, should be fine for 12+hrs
I got a vxpocket (a few months ago when they had the sale for 199).

I run mbho's>mp2>ad2k+, so i have the 24 bit/48khz signal.

I can get wavlab from my friend - probly can get win 2k also.
It comes with WinXP (home edition).

I know about computers, but could use some help on this one (ie partitioning, dual boot, etc?)

Thanks in advance....

Peace,
ian stone
Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2003, 07:03:29 PM »
ian...i can help also if you need any *inexpensiveU* software. :wink2:
as for setting everything up, follow the basic guidelines found in the 24-bit faq...www.24bitfaq.org, then optimize it by eliminating unnecessary services, info found here http://www.blkviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm.  
here's some info about setting up dual-boot with xp - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q306559.
i'd leave about 5 gb for each OS partition (or skew that so that more space is given to the xp partition as it requires more space where win2k does not require as much), and then leave the remaining ~30gb for a third partition for audio storage.
you can use the win2k installation disk to create these partitions.

i think your setup is going to be quite sweet...those lifebooks seem great for taping, vxpocket is a stable device (AFAIK) and you've got plenty of battery power.  good luck!
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2003, 07:13:50 PM »

Fujitsu Lifebook p2120. 384MB Ram 933mhz Crusoe TM5800 Processor, 40GB Hard Drive, Standard batt in main bay, hi capacity batt in 2nd bay, and 3rd batt in 'modular' bay. Fujitsu says runtime is 17.5hrs, should be fine for 12+hrs

ian,
i just ordered almost the same machine.  but so far, i only have the regular battery (well, i don't have anything yet, it should arrive later this week)...but are you sure that you can put all 3 batteries in at once?  I was under the impression you could only do either the standard or hi capacity plus the modular, but not all 3.  

i think maybe the standard and the hi-cap batt are hot-swappable when the modular battery is in use, but i'm not sure about that.  

i am considering whether to buy those additional batteries or go with some other option.

any other lifebook users out there chime in?  thx.

-damon

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2003, 08:17:20 PM »

ian,
i just ordered almost the same machine.  but so far, i only have the regular battery (well, i don't have anything yet, it should arrive later this week)...but are you sure that you can put all 3 batteries in at once?  I was under the impression you could only do either the standard or hi capacity plus the modular, but not all 3.  

i think maybe the standard and the hi-cap batt are hot-swappable when the modular battery is in use, but i'm not sure about that.  

i am considering whether to buy those additional batteries or go with some other option.

any other lifebook users out there chime in?  thx.

-damon

Damon, good question. I was under the impression that there are two 'regular' battery bays... so you can have the standard and hicap in at the same time. then the modular bay allows for a 3rd batt (when you take out the dvd/cdrw drive).
But, if you're right, and there only is 1 'regular' battery bay, i would think that with the modular battery in there you can 'hotswap' between the std. battery and the hicap battery.
Either way, it looks like it'll be enough battery power! :)

Ask Tall. He owns a lifebook p2000 series, i originally was going to buy his... but he was asking $1200 and I was able to get a faster computer, with more ram and hard disk space, brand new, for 1685 with all3 batts. (incl. tax and shipping)

Before you place your order (unless you already have) do a quick google search for fujitsu coupon code and you should be able to find pretty easily 2 deals that are valid now. 1 is $50 off $1000 purchase. The other is free shipping.  It would not let me use both so i opted for the free shipping.

Let me know what you find out -  i won't know anything till i get mine :)

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline rando

• Taperssection Newbie
  • a kYnd soul spreading the grooove....
    • Rando Inc.
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2003, 06:49:54 PM »
can i use the different users/profiles in wkpro to make a profile that is solely for recording?   i only want wavlab running, no firewall, office, etc....

i am new to 2kpro, i know in win98 you used to b able to go start>run>msconfig to turn off proggies in the background, how do u do that in 2kpro!?!?!!??

when my puter boots up, it goes rite to "user" profile, i have to log off user to goto admin profile....

thanks!
rando
-----
Randy 'Rando' Aspillaga
Audio Engineer, Production Services
ph: 818-231-2633
http://www.rando.org

"I know people who are not afraid to smile
and being friendly is still in style.
And I got friends who let their spirits run completely wild.
You would be wise to maybe try it for a while."
-----

rabhan

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2003, 12:09:08 AM »
i use 2k for taping and xp for web'ing......

2k must be installed before xp

24bit.org is great, read it, read it a 2nd time, and then read it a 3rd time.

30hdd(28 usable)
2k - 6g allocated 2 used 4 available
xp - 10/6/4
data partition - 12/2/10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com