Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Homegrown WAVE header repair utility  (Read 49060 times)

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Homegrown WAVE header repair utility
« Reply #165 on: August 01, 2016, 01:37:43 PM »
No guarantees on this, but download VLC media player.  IF VLC can play the file, then use VLC to convert/save the file as a 44.1/16 WAV file. 

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
I don't know if this will make sense / or help, but a while back in this thread, I mentioned a different approach which rescued a set that had somehow been "dropped" by my recorder:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.msg1902304#msg1902304
 - Specifically, this part:
my wife actually resurrected this file just recently, using a trick she learned from some of the developers she works with: using a binary reader, she went past the presumed header, into the data area, and randomly plucked out two pairs of zeros. That reversed the flaw in the file, turning the first two minutes of the .wav file into an overloaded signal which could almost be mistaken for white noise, and all of the audio from the set appeared, and after careful examination, is stable.

Sorry to reopen an old thread, but a buddy of mine has 13 corrupted files from a Sony M10.  I have tried the Audacity raw importing, FLACIng the file, sound forge, cdwav, the tool in this thread, the Sound Devices tool and nothing will open/import/correct these files into WAV files.

Anyone have any more current ideas/tool/tricks?  Trying to get at least one of these to open, and absolutely zero luck... kind of assuming a bad card, but the files are proper size and lengths, but just wont open in anything with any tool.
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony M10/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2016, 04:04:05 PM »
No guarantees on this, but download VLC media player.  IF VLC can play the file, then use VLC to convert/save the file as a 44.1/16 WAV file. 
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

I tried that from another message board, no luck, but thanks

I don't know if this will make sense / or help, but a while back in this thread, I mentioned a different approach which rescued a set that had somehow been "dropped" by my recorder:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=72936.msg1902304#msg1902304
 - Specifically, this part:
my wife actually resurrected this file just recently, using a trick she learned from some of the developers she works with: using a binary reader, she went past the presumed header, into the data area, and randomly plucked out two pairs of zeros. That reversed the flaw in the file, turning the first two minutes of the .wav file into an overloaded signal which could almost be mistaken for white noise, and all of the audio from the set appeared, and after careful examination, is stable.

I can try that, thought I did use the "Header repair" tool in this thread, and I kind of assume the steps above would do the same, but I will give it a try tonight and report back

Offline GroundHog420

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Sonic Archives
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2016, 04:17:39 PM »
Well, as I had mentioned back in that earlier post, I was never able to get my head around the header repair tool, and to date, no one ever really came forward to help me with that, so it *may* turn out to be the same (or at least a similar) process, but I really am unable to speak to that, I guess.

I can try that, thought I did use the "Header repair" tool in this thread, and I kind of assume the steps above would do the same, but I will give it a try tonight and report back
Hey man, that common sense shit won't fly around here, we're from Portland, we're edgy & different or something  ???
she kept playing with the balls for around 2 years after i thought i had seen it all from them.

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2017, 12:27:16 AM »
bumping an old thread, so if anyone searches for "WAV header file repair feature" then they can find this!

8)
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony M10/SD 722
    • Homepage

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2017, 06:16:57 PM »
When I click the Bat file in Windoze 10 it said "This app can't run on your PC" ?

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2017, 07:24:06 PM »
When I click the Bat file in Windoze 10 it said "This app can't run on your PC" ?

Try to right click and run as admin
Mics: Schoeps MK5 G MP, Schoeps CCM 4 Lg MP, Schoeps MK8 MP, nBob cables > PFA, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Naiant Tinybox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6, Sony PCM-M10

http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #173 on: May 04, 2017, 09:12:11 AM »
^ FYI

this can only be run in a CMD prompt Window (as you cannot just click/double click on the file to run)
Mics:
AKG ck91 actives
AKG ck61 > Nbob collettes > PFA
Church CA 14 cards

Preamps:
Edirol UA-5 w/Oade PMod
Church 9100
Church 9100 (for use with the ck91 mics only)

Recorders:
Tascam DR680
Edirol R4 w/Oade Concert Mod
Edirol R09

gear for sale:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com