Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Satellite HD Receivers  (Read 13516 times)

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
Satellite HD Receivers
« on: January 13, 2007, 11:34:31 AM »
For those of you with satellite TV (Dish or DirecTV - don't care which one), does your HD receiver has the option for an antenna input?  If so, does it integrate into the guide? 

Right now I have to physically switch the coax cable on the back of my tv between an antenna for HD and the cable for SD channels.  I want to get some HD content but no one offers my locals in HD.  I'd like to have something integrated so I don't have to switch out cables all the time. ;)

Nevermind - after much digging found out Dish Network will do what I want...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:38:42 PM by John Kelly »
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Satellite HD Receivers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »
direct tv does exactly what you are looking for as well, in terms of incorporating locals retrieved through an antenna into your guide.

Also, they are enhancing their HD offering this year...

DIRECTV to Offer 100 National HD Channels in 2007
LAS VEGAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 8, 2007--DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is hailing 2007 as the "Year of HD" with the planned launch and carriage of 100 national high-definition (HD) channels. With this substantial HD muscle, DIRECTV will offer three-times more HD programming than any other multi-channel distributor, with the majority of these channels launching in Q3.

DIRECTV also announced today that it currently has signed agreements, or agreements in principle, with more than 70 major networks including:

-- A&E -- National Geographic
-- Bravo -- NFL Network
-- Cartoon Network -- SciFi Channel
-- CNN -- Speed
-- Food Network -- TBS
-- FX -- The History Channel
-- HGTV -- The Weather Channel
-- MTV -- USA Network
DIRECTV will also extend its leadership in HD sports programming by offering hundreds of games and other HD programming available from Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) around the country, including YES Network, Comcast Sports Net, New England Sports Network and FOX Sports.

To satisfy the insatiable appetite for a greater number of movies in HD, DIRECTV will offer an expanded line-up of HD programming available from all premium movie channels.

"This is DIRECTV's break-out year for HD," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "The launch of our two new satellites will complete the largest capacity expansion in DIRECTV history, and no other video service will be able to match the sheer volume and quality of our HD programming. With HD adoption now reaching critical mass in the U.S., and 40 million homes projected to have HD-capable TVs this year, DIRECTV will be uniquely positioned as the best choice for HD programming."

With the launch of DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11 satellites in 2007, DIRECTV will have the ability to deliver more than 1,500 local HD and digital channels and 150 national HD channels, in addition to new advanced programming services for customers.

DIRECTV currently offers standard-definition local channels in 142 markets, covering nearly 94 percent of television households in the country, as well as local HD broadcast channels in 49 cities, representing more than 65 percent of U.S. TV households.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 12:30:35 PM »
not not that you asked, but I am good at unsolicited advice ;D

I used one of these at my old house and it worked fantastically.  Have a new one on the way to me at my new house as we speak...
http://www.winegard.com/offair/squareshooter.htm

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 03:00:03 PM »
Yeah I may pick one of those up.  I've got a Terk indoor antenna right now, and it works 90% of the time.  But I do get some loss of signal every now and then.  I think an outdoor antenna would be perfect, but I'll wait until I decide on satellite...

I think I'm gonna go with Dish Network, though, because their prices are much more reasonable for what I want. 

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 03:48:58 PM »
Yeah I may pick one of those up.  I've got a Terk indoor antenna right now, and it works 90% of the time.  But I do get some loss of signal every now and then.  I think an outdoor antenna would be perfect, but I'll wait until I decide on satellite...

I think I'm gonna go with Dish Network, though, because their prices are much more reasonable for what I want. 

I just switched from TimeWarner HD to Dish HD last week.  I have the new ViP622 model HD receiver/PVR and love it.  Big improvement over TW HD.  It does allow for an external antenna as well for sure.

The DirectTV announcement is kind of misleading though.  The vast majority of new HD channels they will be offering are local HD stations.  Already there with Dish.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 04:05:52 PM »

I just switched from TimeWarner HD to Dish HD last week.  I have the new ViP622 model HD receiver/PVR and love it.  Big improvement over TW HD.  It does allow for an external antenna as well for sure.

The DirectTV announcement is kind of misleading though.  The vast majority of new HD channels they will be offering are local HD stations.  Already there with Dish.

actually alot of the channels in the new announcement are regional sports networks...they are already offering locals in HD for alot of the major locals.  And by the end of the year, their HD offer will be on par with all of the things that formerly Voom and now Dish offers..though alot of those channels are garbage even though they are in HD...

given the NFL package being at DTV and them overbidding for it all the time. I will be a DTV customer for a long time...really nice to get all of the NFL games that are in HD that week...and get to choose what I want to watch...rather than regional coverage
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 04:08:27 PM by nickgregory »

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 04:13:53 PM »
given the NFL package being at DTV and them overbidding for it all the time. I will be a DTV customer for a long time...really nice to get all of the NFL games that are in HD that week...and get to choose what I want to watch...rather than regional coverage

I am the same about Dish and the NBA package.  :)

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 05:09:26 PM »
kinda related but my parents are about to go HD and have DirecTV but i see an issue they may have.
They currently feed their main TV and a small 13" tv in the kitchen running off the same reciever w/ some coax that is in the wall

currently
                         TV via coax
Dish > Reciever >
                        TV via coax

If they get a new HD reciever and feed their primary TV via component or HDMI are they going to be able to feed the TV in the kitchen somehow from standard coax?
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »
kinda related but my parents are about to go HD and have DirecTV but i see an issue they may have.
They currently feed their main TV and a small 13" tv in the kitchen running off the same reciever w/ some coax that is in the wall

currently
                         TV via coax
Dish > Reciever >
                        TV via coax

If they get a new HD reciever and feed their primary TV via component or HDMI are they going to be able to feed the TV in the kitchen somehow from standard coax?

Mike,

The Dish receiver I have the ViP622 has the ability to control 2 televisions.  Only one can receive the HD signal while the other has to be a  SD channel.  They have two remotes, one main one for the HD and one for the SD (2nd TV)

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/dishhd/receivers/vip622dvr/index.shtml

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 07:07:06 PM »

currently
                         TV via coax
Dish > Reciever >
                        TV via coax

Mike,

The Dish receiver I have the ViP622 has the ability to control 2 televisions.  Only one can receive the HD signal while the other has to be a  SD channel.  They have two remotes, one main one for the HD and one for the SD (2nd TV)

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/dishhd/receivers/vip622dvr/index.shtml

1 detail to add. They also have a SD tv in the bedroom .  They have a standard Dual LNB dish
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 07:18:20 PM »

currently
                         TV via coax
Dish > Reciever >
                        TV via coax

Mike,

1 detail to add. They also have a SD tv in the bedroom .  They have a standard Dual LNB dish

If they're upgrading to HD wont they be needing a new dish anyway?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »

Dish Network will install a new dish for you if you subscribe to their service.  You can also add SD boxes to the network.  I have one room with HD and two others with SD.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »

Dish Network will install a new dish for you if you subscribe to their service.  You can also add SD boxes to the network.  I have one room with HD and two others with SD.

as will DTV.  Just call and tell them what you are doing and they will give you promos for this type of stuff...really dependant on if they would stay with one or the other for any reason...then use that as the decision maker...

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 09:52:41 AM »
As soon as one of the 20 mailers I get per week from DirecTV offers an HD receiver with DVR for $7/month or less like TWC does, I will make the switch.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 09:57:46 AM »
As soon as one of the 20 mailers I get per week from DirecTV offers an HD receiver with DVR for $7/month or less like TWC does, I will make the switch.

it is only $5 a month (after you pay $299 for the receiver) :P

I would go for TWC in a minute if their customer service was not god awful in Raleigh and if they had the NFL package...both of which are not changing any time in the near future...

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 10:27:40 AM »
$299 - not as bad as I had thought. I still like having the local stations in HD or SD.

I can understand the NFL requirement. My must have is Duke games in HD which was nice last year when every game was on ESPN HD. But now that they're rebuilding and UNC is ESPN's darling, we get moved to the ESPN2 schedule and TWC doesn't have ESPN2 HD yet.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 10:35:30 AM »
$299 - not as bad as I had thought. I still like having the local stations in HD or SD.

I can understand the NFL requirement. My must have is Duke games in HD which was nice last year when every game was on ESPN HD. But now that they're rebuilding and UNC is ESPN's darling, we get moved to the ESPN2 schedule and TWC doesn't have ESPN2 HD yet.

re: local stations...I prefer to get those over antenna.  In raleigh (as I am guessing is the case in charlotte as well) I am real close to the antennas and can pick up every channels SD and HD signal perfectly.  This is really nice for when the sat signal goes out, the antenna is still (in my experience) still been good.  And the local HD signal over the air, is a huge improvement over DTVs (and cable from what I have seen) HD version of locals.  The DTV box is also nice in that it integrates your antenna signal into your onscreen guide and it is extremely easy to use once set up.

If interested, take a look at www.antennaweb.org...this will tell you distance from the antennas, which will give you a good guage on likelihood of being able to pick up a signal.

On ESPN2, definitely agree...the biggest pain in the ass around here is regardless of whether ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or the damn ocho is carrying it, if raycom carries it, the other feed gets blacked out, and raycom has no HD feeds (as of last year) and their SD pic quality is piss poor.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »

re: local stations...I prefer to get those over antenna.  In raleigh (as I am guessing is the case in charlotte as well) I am real close to the antennas and can pick up every channels SD and HD signal perfectly.  This is really nice for when the sat signal goes out, the antenna is still (in my experience) still been good.  And the local HD signal over the air, is a huge improvement over DTVs (and cable from what I have seen) HD version of locals.  The DTV box is also nice in that it integrates your antenna signal into your onscreen guide and it is extremely easy to use once set up.

If interested, take a look at www.antennaweb.org...this will tell you distance from the antennas, which will give you a good guage on likelihood of being able to pick up a signal.

On ESPN2, definitely agree...the biggest pain in the ass around here is regardless of whether ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or the damn ocho is carrying it, if raycom carries it, the other feed gets blacked out, and raycom has no HD feeds (as of last year) and their SD pic quality is piss poor.

nick...i have a question i hope you can clarify for  me...i am looking at the two website you posted..the antenna map thing and the sattelite for OTA reception...the reception says the beam is about 60*... yet you said that you can get every channel...does the beam not limit the direction to which you can pick up channels?  I looked at the raleigh map (chose a zip, 27608) and some channels are in the opposite direction [this is the same case for here])  am i wrong in thinking the beam needs to be pointed in a certain direction?

thnx
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 01:27:27 PM »
fortunately I am lucky and all the HD channels from me all come from the same 3 towers, with the compass direction being between 154-156 for all of them.  The only one that doesnt is PBS, and I dont watch it much, so no issue there. 

The Square Shooter antenna I use does a good job at allowing me to point it in that direction and pick up all of them without an issue

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 01:32:51 PM »
fortunately I am lucky and all the HD channels from me all come from the same 3 towers, with the compass direction being between 154-156 for all of them.  The only one that doesnt is PBS, and I dont watch it much, so no issue there. 

The Square Shooter antenna I use does a good job at allowing me to point it in that direction and pick up all of them without an issue

thnx  unfortunatly...nbc is the polar opposite of abc and cbs here....which sux

cant decide what i want to do...Directv was looking really good...but i wanted the OTA for locals...who knows...
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 01:53:38 PM »

cant decide what i want to do...Directv was looking really good...but i wanted the OTA for locals...who knows...

Make sure you're searching by your address.  Zip code can be off quite a bit from your actual location.

Also, you can get an omnidirectional antenna. 

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 02:29:57 PM »

Make sure you're searching by your address.  Zip code can be off quite a bit from your actual location.

Also, you can get an omnidirectional antenna. 

thanx john  i was searching by my address...its just something that comes from being in a mall town

do you have a link to anything to omnidirectional antennas?  ill search after lunch...but if you know of any it would be appreciated.

thanx

Auditory
it's magic 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 02:36:27 PM »
I have no idea how well this works, but I am a big fan of winegard products

http://www.winegard.com/offair/metrostar.htm

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 03:00:17 PM »
I have no idea how well this works, but I am a big fan of winegard products

http://www.winegard.com/offair/metrostar.htm

does that handle hd?  something is wrong with my pdf on mozilla...and i can't restart my comp right now b/c im at work
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 03:41:37 PM »
I have heard that people pick up HD over 20 year old antennas...so I always assumed that "HD branded" antennas was strictly marketing...maybe shoot winegard an email...they will answer

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 03:48:32 PM »
Yeah there's nothing "digital" about the antennas.  So really any VHF/UHF antenna should be able to pick up HD channels.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 03:50:20 PM »
Yeah there's nothing "digital" about the antennas.  So really any VHF/UHF antenna should be able to pick up HD channels.

even indoor attennas?  curious about comparing the OTA signal to my comcast HD signal...but not gonna drop any serious cash on it.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »
Any antenna will pick up the signals.   I used to use the antenna in my attic until I got Dish HD.

Worked like a charm. 

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 10:23:49 AM »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 10:28:35 AM »
was not a matter of if, but when...with the new HD offerings coming this year, th price increase was a foregone conclusion...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2007, 10:30:25 AM »
actually reading this, I am wondering if the increase is only to new subscribers...existing subs already grandfathered in?

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 10:50:28 AM »
actually reading this, I am wondering if the increase is only to new subscribers...existing subs already grandfathered in?

I dunno, but I think it's worse that they charge $100 to get NFL games in HD on top of the sunday ticket package.  The HD coverage doesn't actually cost them anything more, they're just taking an extra fee because they know HD subscribers will buy it anyway.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2007, 11:07:01 AM »

I dunno, but I think it's worse that they charge $100 to get NFL games in HD on top of the sunday ticket package.  The HD coverage doesn't actually cost them anything more, they're just taking an extra fee because they know HD subscribers will buy it anyway.

agreed...for some reason I only paid $50 to get the HD pack for the NFL...guess it is because I have gotten the package for so long, but your right about the BS on the fees...sad fact is though we are going to see it happen at all providers as they roll out more HD programming as they want to recoup the equipment dollars quickly..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 58 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com