Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EW 77 + UA5  (Read 9824 times)

Offline joeshambro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
Re:EW 77 + UA5
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2003, 04:41:24 PM »
I ran the SR77 > UA5 for a while, and the current draw wasn't a problem.  I ran two 1600Mah batteries from RS wired in sequence and never had any issues.  With my V2 it isn't an issue, the V2 handles them just fine.

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2003, 05:10:43 PM »
D- That's what you said about the single battery!!  I TOLD you it wouldn't be enough juice for the earthworks.  
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 05:16:50 PM »
Becky-
How long does it take for your computer to shut down and turn back on?  Are you using WaveLab or SF?

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 05:38:40 PM »

To give some perspective on the 77s(power hogs), 2 lithium AA in an MP2 will last about 1.25 hours....max.  

Wow...I knew they were hogs, but didn't know they sucked that much juice.  I've ran the KM140's for approx. 10 hours with Lithium AA's in an MP2.  They will most likely run longer, I just don't risk it after that.  
Chapper
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 06:56:14 PM »
There's something wrong with your setup if the 77s drain a pair of lithiums in an mp2 in 1.25 hours.

-Matt
P.S. The current draw of the mics is pretty much negligible when compared to the rest of the gear. The reason that people often have problems powering Earthworks mics is that their phantom power supplies cannot handle putting out 10 mA at 48V. My preamp is spec'd to 15 mA so I have no trouble, but the UA5 is only spec'd to 10, and I'm guessing why that device has problems with the 77s. Again, this has NOTHING to do with your run time, but everything to do with the possibility of frying your phantom power supply.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 10:19:20 PM »
bingo to what matt said.  i've run mp2-s and sr77s for 3-4 hours plenty of times before

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2003, 10:01:24 AM »
Perhaps there is something wrong with my OLD set-up.  I could not run my 77s thru a second set on two lithium AA.  I would have to change batteries mid set to make sure I got it all.  I only used AA if I forgot my ecocharge.

Phil- I have not timed how long it takes to reboot my laptop....but it seems like it takes forever....at least 1.5 mins.  I am using wavelabs 4.0....which is working really well.

Also the RS 9.6v batteries are only 1000mah....so I picked up a second one late last night.  Will test the hot-swap idea this evening.  

Thanks guys!

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2003, 10:36:24 PM »
Also the RS 9.6v batteries are only 1000mah....so I picked up a second one late last night.  Will test the hot-swap idea this evening.  

Thanks guys!
well that would explain why you wouldn't make it more than an hour and a half!
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2003, 06:24:56 PM »
Yeah, plug in the fresh battery and then unplug the almost drained one. Your UA5 should never know the difference!
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2003, 11:42:44 AM »
Alright.....

My Ecocharge is offically dead.  Won't hold a charge, only gave me about 15mins of power.  Anyone know where I can recycle this POS??

Hot swapping the 9.6Vs worked fine(tested at home).  I ran one battery for first set, and thru set break(only power, no phantom).  I plugged the second battery in for second set and just ran both batteries.  No problems.  

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2003, 02:10:46 PM »
Hey becky, in the future if you want to have both plugged in do so when they're both freshly charged.... They'll drain evenly & you won't have the battery with the higher charge trying to recharge the older one.

Same thing goes for mixing batteries of different amperages - not a good idea.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2003, 04:56:31 PM »
Thanks!  I just assumed that when the lower charged one died the other would just keep truckin.  The thought of one battery charging the other didn't even cross my mind.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com