Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Logitech Universal Remote  (Read 11414 times)

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
Logitech Universal Remote
« on: December 06, 2006, 10:54:29 AM »
anyone have any experience with this?

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/detailsharmony/US/EN,CRID=2084,CONTENTID=9933

looks pretty cool.  a friend at work just brought his in for me to take a look at.  could this be the ultimate universal?  USB port allows for interface w/ the PC to setup and download pre-loaded information for all of your gear.

anything comparable in the market that others are using?

thanks.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: Logitech Wireless Remote
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 10:56:28 AM »
i was just looking at these things last night.  btw, the best prices on these things are on amazon.  check the reviews, they are not perfect, but they seem pretty good, if you have a handle on connecting your system correctly.  they seem to relatively well regarded on avsforum.com as well.  (there is an entire remote control forum there you may want to check out).

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Logitech Universal Remote
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:59:13 AM »
these are the harmony remotes...pretty well reviewed and well regarded from what I have seen....a buddy has the 659 and I love it...will be getting one in the near future to reduce some of my clutter...I have also seen sams club carrying a couple of models at good prices, but not the 880 yet which is what I want...

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 11:00:33 AM »
the 880 is $153 from amazon right now.  by far the best price around.  thinking of ordering it now before the price goes up.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 11:02:31 AM »
the 880 is $153 from amazon right now.  by far the best price around.  thinking of ordering it now before the price goes up.
wow, that is great...last time I looked it was $199

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 11:04:31 AM »
does amazon allow no-questions asked returns?  some people reviewing it had miserable experiences...others positively rave about it.  it's hard to figure just how advanced these users are.  also considering the 670.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 11:10:50 AM »
does amazon allow no-questions asked returns?  some people reviewing it had miserable experiences...others positively rave about it.  it's hard to figure just how advanced these users are.  also considering the 670.

no idea on the policy, but I have come to the conclusion that most people who review products on the web arent technical enough to turn on their tv on their own

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 11:11:28 AM »
i bought one earlier this year and it's pretty great.  very easy to set up.  i haven't tried to tweak it at all, but it's all done with a browser app with the remote connected to your computer via usb.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 11:12:30 AM »
i bought one earlier this year and it's pretty great.  very easy to set up.  i haven't tried to tweak it at all, but it's all done with a browser app with the remote connected to your computer via usb.

cool, thanks for the info, simp...+t. 

Offline John R

• www.tapers.org
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 11:12:50 AM »
I'm partial to the Universal Remote Control MX-850 since it's IR/RF and a lot of my installations have the gear seperate from the display.  The RF is key also, because so many users forget they need to keep the remote pointed at the reader until the macro is finished transmitting. 

i programmed a harmony for a friend and the one thing i couldn't get it to stop doing, was turning things off when a new source was selected.  so, everytime one wants to go to a new device, there's a delay for power up>media reading>play.  maybe it was one of the qualifying questions i answered incorrectly.
we all live downstream.

Offline lowlight10

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 01:48:45 PM »

my buddy bought it from amazon.  it was $153 and then it had a $30 rebate too (unfortunately it has expired now) in case some of you want to wait to get it cheaper, maybe in a month.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 01:52:08 PM »
I picked up the model below this one.  Very easy to set up and the software had profiles for every piece of gear I'm using it with.  Its the first time I've had a universal remote that has all the functionality of the ones that came with my gear.  If you keep your eyes open you will be able to find the non color one for $70-$80.  I've seen several sales after I bought mine for that.

Here is a link to the color one for $135 after rebate.
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4057123&JRSource=linkshare.datafeed.HMY+880.

EDIT: Mine keeps track of the power state of all your items and then turns on or off the correct items when you select an activity.  For example 'Listen to CDs' turns on my amp and cd player and configures all the buttons for that.  'Watch TV' turns on the amp, TV, and cable box and reconfigures the buttons.  You can also select device and turn off/on each one yourself.  Either way it always remembers the on/off state.  If your devices don't turn on/off correctly it sounds like you need to go through the setup wizard again.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 01:56:59 PM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 02:04:57 PM »
I got the $250 dollar one, can't remember the model number. They have their quirks but overall are well worth the money since they replace a huge pile or remotes. I like the fact that you can set up activities and just hit one button to boot up your entire Home Theater all set to the right channels, inputs, etc.

It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 02:07:06 PM »
We have the Logitech Harmony 720. Nice and light. Covers everything that we once needed 3 remotes to do.

The only thing I don't like is the clicking sound that some of the buttons make.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 02:21:48 PM »
mine was in the 250-280 range when i got it, not sure if it is the 880 but looks just like the pic.  i didn't care since i had a gift certificate to best buy to burn.  only time i'll shop there, pretty much.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com