Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: building room treatments?  (Read 20206 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: building room treatments?
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2009, 03:41:01 PM »
I've heard many great things about those DIY tube traps but can't really get away with them in my room. If you can, I've read that stacked rolls of ordinary fiberglass house insulation batting work very well and require zero DIY construction other than transporting them from the store and stacking them around the room.  They are already compressed and held in barrel form by the plastic wrapper.

Of course those batting rolls are large diameter and ugly, but can be an easy proof of concept before building something nicer looking.  My house looks like a construction zone anyway, so maybe I should try it.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2009, 03:54:17 PM »
I've heard many great things about those DIY tube traps but can't really get away with them in my room. If you can, I've read that stacked rolls of ordinary fiberglass house insulation batting work very well and require zero DIY construction other than transporting them from the store and stacking them around the room.  They are already compressed and held in barrel form by the plastic wrapper.

Of course those batting rolls are large diameter and ugly, but can be an easy proof of concept before building something nicer looking.  My house looks like a construction zone anyway, so maybe I should try it.

that's a GREAT idea

some sort of tube traps are next on my list and I've been wondering about how to do it fairly simply. I'm ok with diy projects but really dislike doing them, I know others really enjoy it - I hate it.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »
i wonder how important the amount of traps claimed to be needed in the article really are?  no way in hell will my wife be ok, nor do i really want my room to look like a room in willy wonka's chocolate factory.  i was thinking one in each front corner would be fine, but every few feet is a no go.  anyone familiar or have experience?   

i just bought a six pack of the Owens Corning 703 panels off ebay for 59$.  time to get crafty.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2009, 08:11:47 PM »
i wonder how important the amount of traps claimed to be needed in the article really are?  no way in hell will my wife be ok, nor do i really want my room to look like a room in willy wonka's chocolate factory.  i was thinking one in each front corner would be fine, but every few feet is a no go.  anyone familiar or have experience?   

i just bought a six pack of the Owens Corning 703 panels off ebay for 59$.  time to get crafty.

Remember that you can over deaden a room. 

Some thing the try is cut one panel into triangle shaped pieces, cover with fabric that will blend in with your paint scheme and mount them in the ceiling corners.   Mount a few flat panels on the wall.  Then frame the remaining panels with a pine frame that can be covered and mount the panels to some wooden stands.  That way you can put them in place (or try different places) for critical listening and then put them away when the wife gets back in town.

I have mine mounted as free standing panels for the exact same reason.  I can take pictures if it would help but all I did was use drywall screws to fix a little rectangular foot to the bottom of the framed panel.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2009, 08:16:09 PM »
Dave Moulton- Taming the big wave.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2009, 08:50:42 PM »
im aware of over deadoning possiblities.  i was more referring to the bass traps article tim posted a link too.  he indicated that he has them every few feet.  his looks like buck rogers livingroom. 

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Tim

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2009, 12:18:16 PM »
yeah but I bet it sounds great ;D
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2009, 11:37:54 PM »
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 11:59:18 PM by Jimna »

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2009, 10:19:08 AM »
you guys want to tune your rooms?
try the shun mook method (I think its sun mook?)
This cat speaks highly of the virtues of bird houses as room tuning - seriously!

All of the extra peripheral oddities in that area are room tuning tweaks as well!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 11:08:14 AM by mfrench »

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2009, 11:07:19 AM »
Nice photo, looks like a pretty sweet setup.  Details man, details!!

you guys want to tune your rooms?
try the sun mook method (I think its sun mook?)
This cat speaks highly of the virtues of bird houses as room tuning - seriously!

All of the extra peripheral oddities in that area are room tuning tweaks as well!
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

mfrench

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »
I'm not the one to speak of/to the details.
The person who owns the system has been tweaking it to get to that point for the 6 months or so that I've been a member of this other audio forum (a forum dedicated to turntabling).
His room is incredibly small, and he sits on the floor about 2->3' to the right of the picture. He claims with these tweaks that he has created a large music hall (he listens to classical and chamber music almost exclusively).
He claims that even the rooms color, and the color of the wires comes into play in tuning.
I can provide a link, but, you have to be a member of the forum to have access to that area (members only area). So unless you sign up, a link is worthless (there is a wait for new members, while the mods verify).
the link (that won't get you anywhere without signing up);
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=702.0

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
and the color of the wires comes into play in tuning.

Talk about arguing over things only dogs can hear.....
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

mfrench

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2009, 05:03:38 PM »
I bite my tongue, and listen; But I honestly don't know how you'd figure out where to place a small statue on the side of the rooms floor, or where exactly to hang a plumbers weight, or two.
Like I've said, my cotton ears probably wouldn't be able to hear it anyway. ::shrugs::

Offline Tim

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
I'll have two of whatever it is that guy is having ;D

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2009, 10:34:19 AM »
im seriously considering building these across the ceiling of my room. 
http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

i *heart* DIY

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com