Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: IEM's vs headphones  (Read 18583 times)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: IEM's vs headphones
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 09:12:51 PM »
They've already been mentioned, but let me put in another  good word for Shure IEMs.  A rich sound, not bass crazy but not thin-bottomed like the Etymotic ("analytical" they say--no, weak bass). And while the soundstage is smaller than my over-the-ear phones, it's pretty spacious anyway. 

I was very happy with Shure E3 (now SE215)  until I tried the E4 (different color E4c), which are a serious leap upward in quality, and its successor, SE 315.  But the E4 cords eventually (after years) get stiff and fall apart, and the phones are hard-wired to those cords. So do not, repeat do not, buy an old used pair no matter how good an Ebay listing looks. Even if they've been well preserved they are not going to last long, because they've already been aging for years.

The equivalent IEM is now the SE 315, and definitely worth the $30-50 additional cost over the SE 215. Even better, Shure has now changed the design so the drivers snap onto the end of the cord. If there's eventually a problem with the cord, you can just replace it, and you still have the drivers. 

Recently, I did a warranty deal on the SE535--half price--and they are just plain heavenly, another quantum improvement, though I would have hesitated to plunk down $400. 

Meanwhile, about those UE Pro-4's, you would need to be careful how you get them customized. They're being sold primarily as in-ear monitors for musicians on stage, and with those you don't necessarily want the flat response of hi-fi music playback--you want to hear your voice or your guitar right up front. If you go that route, make sure everyone is aware you are using them with a music player.

NOTE: If you are new to IEMs: You have to try out every earplug in the package. Most of them will sound bad, really bad, and you will wonder what the hell everyone was so excited about.  But the one that fits your ear will be amazing. With my older Shures, the only ones that sounded any good for me were the big gray rubbery ones--until the 535, when the big grays also sounded bad but  black foam "olives" did the trick. I was deeply unimpressed with Comply, by the way.  Your ears are very likely to be different.

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: IEM's vs headphones
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 12:22:57 AM »
I like the westones with comply tips.  Comply has a new tip that is slim and longer.  They sound great.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com