Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony 3000ES REVIEW  (Read 20050 times)

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony 3000ES REVIEW
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2004, 04:03:49 PM »
This unit's sweet spot is HUGE -- the dimensions are for optimizing the dsp for surround sound decoding and playback.   I don't believe that these settings have any effect on unprocessed 2 channel playback

I know the surround effects sound good well outside of the defined "sweet spot" but, playing one of the 5.1 encoded dead show matrixs that the american digital folks have put together (7.2.88 for example) and sitting in the "sweet spot" is a unique experience.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 09:45:58 AM »
so i am considering picking one of these units up.  Anyone have suggestions on speakers to go along with it?  I would like to set up a full surround listening environment without breaking the budget, but also want to have the best possible 2 channel listening capability as well, so I guess the key question is...what should I be using as my mains (L/R) and then what surround speakers would you recommend?  I have a polk center channel, but if there is a better option that better compliments the other speakers or I need to buy some sort of package, i can always sell it.  Thanks for helping a relative newbie to home playback out...

H
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 09:57:30 AM »
yeah Heath!

give a budget for 2 channel stuff and you'll get tons of responses...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 10:07:46 AM »
yeah Heath!

give a budget for 2 channel stuff and you'll get tons of responses...

as far as my mains, I'd like to keep them under $1000.  But I'm open to suggestions....

H

The Upstream Mend

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 11:38:04 AM »
Heath,

If you plan on multi-channel in the future you will want to have a timbre matched (voiced the same as the mains) center for a seamless fron stage.  My rec would be to go with the same company and stick to the same line as long as it has the same drivers.  This is important for MC & HT.  So either buy Polks or get rid of the center when you can afford to upgrade it. 

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 03:15:59 PM »
IMO....
make sure you get two main speakers that do not require a sub.
the Sony will sound much better in straight 2ch mode than setting it up as a 2.1 system (or so some other users say).

It makes sence to me as you can sellect a "2.0" speaker array and straight 2ch mode, and the 2ch mode sounds better (as I have shown myself).  any choice made regarding speaker setup in the Sony will route the signal through all the surround DSP crap...not optimal for a straight 2ch setup.  Selecting the 2ch button will bypass all the surround DSP.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2004, 03:48:58 PM »
I guess I'm the "some other users".   :P

I just got my 3000es yesterday.  It won't pass subwoofer info to the sub out when run in 2 channel mode.  Only way to do it is to use the DSP functions and have the receiver generate a subwoofer signal.  I haven't tried it, but it doesn't sound the best to me.  You can run it in 2 channel mode and it still has the front L-R Preamplifier outs working.  So for 2-channel, you can set it up the same way I always have with my 2.1 channel playback system:  L-R speaker outs for the L-R speakers (duh) and use the preamp outputs to go to the preamp input of your powered sub.

Only trouble with this is the LFE effects of a 5.1/7.1 movie soundtrack are not sent to the front L-R preamp outs on the 3000es/5000es, so you'll get no low frequency info sent to your sub.   :(  So, for movies, you'll need to hook up the sub to the subwoofer output on the receiver, not the preamp out RCA outs. 

Meaning, ultimately, there is no one way to wire up the 3000es/5000es for both 2.1 channel music and 5.1/7.1 channel HT.  I'm going to make RCA input/output switch box so instead of pulling the wires each time I want to listen to different things with the 3000es I'll just need to flip a switch on an external switching router.

Bottom line, the 3000es/5000es is better used with no subwoofer on music (or that it is used only for 2.1 channel or 5.1/7.1 channel, but not both).
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2004, 03:50:43 PM »
well I'm only 2.1 so that shouldn't cause me problems. Thanks Todd, I was getting a little nervous!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Tim

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2004, 06:24:35 PM »
so if I want to run exclusively in 2.1 I'm alright?

also, does any have a price from the oade's on the 2000es? I know the 3000 is $695 from the Oade's... trying to see if the extra 30wpc  is worth it.

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2004, 08:55:35 PM »
I think I paid about $540 for my 2000 from oade. You can get one for about 40 cheaper but if the dealer is not authorised the warenty may  not be honored.

I love it. 

I an using polks now but the Neat Mystique's are on the way. I plan on get the neat center and using the petite's as rears in the near future.
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2004, 09:13:25 PM »
i got hooked up with a flawless floor model from jim oade...saved me a shitload.  ask if he's got one laying around....

H

The Upstream Mend

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2004, 10:22:43 PM »
all right heath! T for new toys
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline Tim

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2004, 12:15:00 AM »
i got hooked up with a flawless floor model from jim oade...saved me a shitload.  ask if he's got one laying around....

H

will do Heath, thanks for the tip

Jason B

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2004, 08:58:54 PM »
I paid right at $1000 for my 5000ES.

Jason B

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2004, 09:03:10 PM »
Multi-channel SACD's and DVD-A's with this reciever sound incredible. The LCD remote is a huge plus too as my TV and 9000ES DVD/2-channel SACD player are Sony as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com