Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Playback sluttiness....  (Read 27412 times)

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Playback sluttiness....
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2005, 06:15:47 PM »
I just picked up on of these:

http://www.dynamichometheater.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GSA4&Category_Code=PLA

they had them on www.ubid.com last week for $129 and penny shipping...I was going to build but figured at $129.01, I could justify the marginal amount I pay more than what I would cost for my time to build one...keep an eye on ubid if your interested...none up now...but they have been going up every few days for the past month....

Thanks for this info Nick, a new batch just showed up on ubid so I'm going to try to snag one.  After considering the cost of materials and the time required to build one on my own I've deciced this was a better deal.  Thanks again.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2005, 10:36:29 PM »
glad I could help...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2005, 09:28:06 AM »
I just picked up on of these:

http://www.dynamichometheater.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GSA4&Category_Code=PLA

they had them on www.ubid.com last week for $129 and penny shipping...I was going to build but figured at $129.01, I could justify the marginal amount I pay more than what I would cost for my time to build one...keep an eye on ubid if your interested...none up now...but they have been going up every few days for the past month....

Thanks for this info Nick, a new batch just showed up on ubid so I'm going to try to snag one. After considering the cost of materials and the time required to build one on my own I've deciced this was a better deal. Thanks again.

just a heads up Nick, they shipped my product as slow as they possibly could...should be here later this week, but that will have been 3 weeks since the auction closed...guess that is what you get for penny shipping :P

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2005, 01:22:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice Damon, I'm doing Red Rocks run for sure...

Heath - I won't be making any big bucks, I'm going into political work...

Politics?

I guess if George W. can do it, so can you

Offline Tim

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2005, 03:18:45 PM »
Thanks for the advice Damon, I'm doing Red Rocks run for sure...

Heath - I won't be making any big bucks, I'm going into political work...

Politics?

I guess if George W. can do it, so can you

I likely won't be running for office myself... but your concerns have been duly noted :P

///////
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2005, 03:48:50 PM »
Edit:  After a bit more research it seems that the JJ 12ax7 tubes are pretty highly regarded current production tubes.  They're evidently copies of the NOS Telefunken tubes, I think I'm going to pick up a set to see how they compare to the real Telefunkens.

I'm not sure if anyone else is interested but the JJs arrived yesterday and I've listened to them a bit so I thought I'd share some initial thoughts. 

Setup: APL DV-563a > YS Symphonies > B&K ST-140 > Magnepan MMG

Input Tube:  Amperex 12ax7

Output Tubes:  Telefunken 12ax7 (Long Plates)

After hearing good things about these tubes I decided to try out a set to see how they stacked up to the NOS tubes I'm using now, I figured for $8 a piece they're worth a shot.  After allowing an hour for the tubes to warm up I decided to sit down and give them a listen.  My first impression was that they really lacked the smoothness and weight that I was accustomed to, not necessarily a bad thing just kind of different.  The high are nice but don't seem to sparkle like they do with the NOS tubes, once again a subtle but noticeable difference.  The midrange is nice but the vocals are a bit more forward and seem to really push the mids into the background, generally I prefer a more balanced sound but the vocals sound very nice so I can live with it.  It's tough to judge bass on my system, the MMGs don't have much of a low end but they seem to sound just a smidge tighter.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the sound, my biggest complaint is they seemed to lack the smoothness of the Amperex / Telefunken combination which I really like.  Is the difference in sound worth spending 10x more, to my ears yes but as always YMMV.  I can definately state with certainty that the JJs are lightyears better than the unmarked tubes that came with the Symphonies.

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2005, 09:14:51 AM »
found this dont know if it would help..

http://boston.craigslist.org/ele/56382469.html

Tubes, Tubes, Tubes, GE, RCA, Sylvania, Ratheon, TV/Radio Electron
Reply to: anon-56382469@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-01-20, 11:24AM EST

Huge box of tubes. GE, RCA, Sylvania, Ratheon TV/Radio Electron. Most are NOS. Total is about 225pcs. Looking for a take all at $2.00 each tube. $450.00 for the lot. See pics below!!
the show is over go home please.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2005, 11:51:21 AM »
Just to comment on being a slut a bit...

Wayne at Bolder Cables sent me a "box of goodies" today, containing the following:

My panasonic XR-45, full home theater mods with two large bybees on each speaker output, a bybeed quantum purifier, plug and play variety that he actually just gave me for nothing, which I can use on any rca input device, specifically the digital input on the panny, one bolder super nitro plus, double shielded power chord for the panny, and finally, bolder nitro bybee'd speaker jumpers for the swans.  After cutting a check for 1400 clams, I am dead broke ;D
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2005, 11:53:51 AM »
nice pickup on the gear!  lucky....1400$...damn...i will be glad when i can afford the sony reciever...nowhere near 1400$!
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

jpschust

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2005, 12:00:43 PM »
Daryan,

If you are dropping that much on cables and whatnot you need to get some high quality AC line conditioning going on.

These are my favorites just because they aren't TERRIBLY expensive for the high end stuff: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13070

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2005, 12:37:39 PM »
Daryan,

If you are dropping that much on cables and whatnot you need to get some high quality AC line conditioning going on.

These are my favorites just because they aren't TERRIBLY expensive for the high end stuff: http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13070

:o :o :o $800 for line conditioning?  goddamnit...why didnt i choose fishing or something for a hobby!
Auditory
it's magic 

jpschust

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2005, 12:47:12 PM »
thats one of the less expensive audiophile ones.  the gray stuff goes well into the thousands. 

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2005, 12:52:28 PM »
Yeah, they get REALLY exspensive.  What I would like to do when I buy my own place here in the next couple of years is to have dedicated lines run in with hubbell outlets, voltage regulators, and a power conditioner.  I have read over at audiocircle that plugging the amp diorectly into a power conditioner isn't the greatest idea, why, I haven't any idea as the conversation was in the empirical audio forum, and quite frankly that Steve guy who owns the place talks well beyond my understanding of physics etc.  Thanks for the link Jonny, Uncle Sam might bring me a power conditioner here in the next couple of weeks.  I also bought a used pair of Bloder M-80 speaker cables, with plans on going to the more pricey nitro's in the near future as well.  If anyone is ever in Iowa, lord knows why, but you are more than welcome to stop by and hear it for yourself.  The hospitality is first rate too:-)
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

jpschust

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2005, 01:01:35 PM »
it's not that it's not the greatest idea, but it's more that you are doing double duty.  a decently made amp has its own line filtration in it and can handle a small surge without being fried- it will flip its circuit and be done.  Even a conditioner ain't gonna stop a lightning strike to your line.  Generally an Amp and a sub do not need to be connected to a conditioner.

I will attempt to NEVER be in Iowa.  Nothing to do with you.  More because, well, it's Iowa.

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2005, 01:07:30 PM »
what about just a regular UPS made for computers??? 
Auditory
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com