Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Maybe a decent Universal Player option?  (Read 28048 times)

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Maybe a decent Universal Player option?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2007, 01:11:16 PM »

USB input allows you to attach any USB HDD and it will read the contents and play files it recognizes, wav, mp3..etc. 

True, but it only accepts USB-connected mass storage devices that are formatted with FAT-style formatting.  NTFS is not supported.

Also, wav and wma are the only file formats I've been able to verify that it plays and some folks are saying that you can only see up to 750 files.  See the following quotes from the AVS Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=682896&page=64&pp=30

Neuromancer     08-28-06 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by oliverlim
1. which would be the best format to store rip my music files(Lossless)

There is only one lossless format at this time: WAV. OPPO is looking into FLAC and APE, but they have not made a firmware release with these supported formats.

2. how I would store them in the HD? All in a single directory? Is there a limit of files per directory in this case on the oppo?

There is a limit for number of files. I believe it is around 750 files. You can store your files on a single directory, or in multiple directories.

3. Is there a way to have to have preferred list of songs to play which you can select?
There is no way to assign a prefered playlist on the DV-970HD.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2007, 06:58:03 PM »
any thoughts on good ways to add weight to these decks? lead shot on top? add something inside the case?

i feel like with my toshiba the spinning of the disc is enough to move the whole deck it is so light
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2007, 07:24:16 AM »
slap a small sandbag on it.  or bean bag....etc.
even w/nothing on it, its an excellent transport.

janka

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2007, 11:38:48 AM »
Tim you might want to try adding some Dynamat to the inside of the case. I've got some I was going to use on my Thorens before I upgraded. I'll have my oppo today or tomorrow and will probably use the dynamat inside it.

http://www.dynamat.com/

janka

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2007, 10:29:57 AM »
Received mine yesterday. Very pleased with the results thus far going through my Benchmark. However, I am getting a little blip between tracks on burnt DVD-A discs. Barely enough to be bothersome. Anyone else experiencing this or is it my discs? What firmware is everyones at, anyone up rev yet? I plan to try out the SD card slot this evening. I no longer have my PC intergated with my stereo the SD will be great for sampling shows before committing them to disc.

As for the vibration. It's pretty tightly built and I don't know that dynamat would fit inside the case. I think adding better feet or vibrapods my be a route to take.

Also impressed with the order processing speed. Ordered mine 10am Monday with priority mail shipping. They emailed me my delivery confirmation # within two hours and it was on my porch by 1pm Wednesday (CA>NH).

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2007, 10:44:20 AM »
i'll try some dvd-a's out on mine today and see whats what.
I play everything from the PC these days.

oh, and what flash recorder are you going to use for these said samples?
;)

janka

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2007, 10:53:20 AM »

oh, and what flash recorder are you going to use for these said samples?
;)

Flash recorder? I'm going to use my SanDisk USB Card Reader/Writer to move files from my HD to my SD card. Simple.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2007, 11:31:22 AM »

USB input allows you to attach any USB HDD and it will read the contents and play files it recognizes, wav, mp3..etc. 

True, but it only accepts USB-connected mass storage devices that are formatted with FAT-style formatting.  NTFS is not supported.
Also, wav and wma are the only file formats I've been able to verify that it plays and some folks are saying that you can only see up to 750 files.  See the following quotes from the AVS Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/printthread.php?t=682896&page=64&pp=30

Neuromancer     08-28-06 01:57 PM
There is only one lossless format at this time: WAV. OPPO is looking into FLAC and APE, but they have not made a firmware release with these supported formats.

Flac support would be very nice.. is this player firmware upgradable from a CDR?
Too bad about no NTFS but that's understandable and likely won't change.

I may have to pick one of these up, just as a spare if nothing else, before my Panasonic DVD-F87K 5-discer dies.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

janka

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2007, 11:41:48 AM »
Yes, the firmware update is via CD-R created from iso image downloads. Agree, Flac support would rule. 

janka

« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2007, 08:43:29 AM »
I tried out the card reader last night. It didn't recognize 24/48 waves or even 16 bit waves. It saw and played MP3's great  ::) Mine is at the latest firmware too.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2007, 09:23:03 AM »
I tried out the card reader last night. It didn't recognize 24/48 waves or even 16 bit waves. It saw and played MP3's great  ::) Mine is at the latest firmware too.

Will it play 24/48 WAV's off a CDR/DVDR?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2007, 09:43:58 AM »
as long as they are burnt to DVD-V or DVD-A, yes.
bummer on the CF slot though.

here's to firmware upgrades!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2007, 09:59:35 AM »
Ahhh... sounds like the issue is that it won't recognize a plain WAV data file.  In that case it might recognize the DVD-A (or -V) formatted files via the card reader.  I don't know why you'd want to do that though.  I was hoping to just pop a card in there after the show.  something for the next update!

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2007, 12:03:33 PM »
as long as they are burnt to DVD-V or DVD-A, yes.

gapless?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2007, 05:11:58 PM »
nice pic Craig.
thats what you looked like when you fell on me in Jersey 2003.
:-)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.106 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com