Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audio room pics, revisited  (Read 81204 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: audio room pics, revisited
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 12:53:20 PM »
Recently slimmed down the pre/amp collection and beefed up the speakers.  Now running PC / SlimServer > Squeezebox (up to 24/48) > Sony STR-DA3000ES > Von Schweikert VR-2.

Tough room since it's so narrow, and with the fireplace there's no real opportunity to align the playback on a long wall.  But it's the only room in the house available for playback at the moment.  If I can talk Jen into converting the finished attic space into my playback room instead of a large walk-in closet or finish whole or part of the basement, I'll have a more dedicated environment.  But for now, this is it.

Room is 12'W x 20'L x 9'H and as you can see open one of the long walls opens into another space.  I suspect I'll have some challenges with reflections off the windows and wall behind the couch.  New (proper) blinds on the windows will help, but not sure I can do much else in the LR in the way of room treatments.  My crappy pics (my point & shoot digital doesn't do well with bright background light).  Don't mind teh paint samples on the walls...we'll find a color we both agree on some day:

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 01:25:46 PM »
so brian you happy with the b stock VR-2s?

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 02:00:12 PM »
  Bi-Wiring is what you say...two cables on one channel of amplification.  The cable's impedance is reduced by 50% in a bi-wire configuration.

Chris

Chris..
Isnt a bi-wire config one run of wire...that forks at the speaker end and runs to the binding posts?

a shotgun is two seperate runs of wire going from the amp to the individual posts.

or am I wrong?

Hi Nick,
in a shotgun, you loose nothing as the signal is never "split"
We refer to bi-wiring as either using a single 2 into 4 bi-wire set or using two separate sets of twin lead speaker cables.  I've always heard the term 'shotgun' referring to the termination of two conductors into one connector.  For example...A 2 into 4 set of bi-wire cables has the four leads shotgunned into two connectors at the amp end.

I'll post some pictures soon.  I'm slackin'.

Chris

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 02:10:04 PM »
so brian you happy with the b stock VR-2s?

Just got 'em set up yesterday afternoon, so they're not broken in yet.  They're bigger than I envisioned.  There's a tiny 1/2" long, 1/8" thick abnormality on the finish at the very base of one of the speakers.  Other than that, the finish looks great.  My initial reaction relative to the STR-DA3000ES > VR1s I ran previously, and my previous tube pre / power amp / Maggie MMG + woofer setup:  woof!!  These suckers pressurize my small room easily and create a wall of sound with far broader depth, width, and LF extension than any of my previous setups.  I can't wait to get these suckers broken in and positioned properly so I can do some critical listening to a lot of old recordings!

Probably gonna bi-something-or-other these with the 3000 at some point, at least until I get the full HT setup sorted (quite a ways off, no point in doing it til I get a nice HD projector + screen).  I'm woefully confused (and judging from the discussion here, I'm not the only one) about bi-wire/amp/shotgun and how they differ, the benefits of each, etc.  Gotta do some poking around.
Roland R-05

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 02:21:36 PM »
Here's my example of "shotgun" wiring. Hope this helps...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
similar experiences to what I heard when I hooked mine up as well.  I have a couple of imperfections in the finish, but they arent noticeable at all unless you are using a critical eye and at the cost of B stock, it was easily worth it.

I am bi-amping mine (two seperate cable runs to each speaker) using my Arcam, feeding each speaker 200W and freaking love it...really one of the best purchases I have made.

I just bought a VS Center Channel (LCR-15) that I will be adding to the setup and eventually getting some small B&W minis for the rears...

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 02:27:49 PM »
similar experiences to what I heard when I hooked mine up as well.  I have a couple of imperfections in the finish, but they arent noticeable at all unless you are using a critical eye and at the cost of B stock, it was easily worth it.

I am bi-amping mine (two seperate cable runs to each speaker) using my Arcam, feeding each speaker 200W and freaking love it...really one of the best purchases I have made.

I just bought a VS Center Channel (LCR-15) that I will be adding to the setup and eventually getting some small B&W minis for the rears...

Everyone seem to talk down about the LCR-15. I am running one and I have liked it so far. It's not the perfect center channel, but it works great for me. I can hear some of the imperfections, but it matches with the VR2s and it's much better than anything else in it's price range. Just my $0.02...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 02:31:03 PM »
unless you are using a critical eye and at the cost of B stock, it was easily worth it.

Oh, yeah...way worth it.  Cheaper than used on A'gon.  ;D

Heh...that's precisely my plan, even down to the B&Ws.  Nice!
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2007, 02:31:34 PM »

Everyone seem to talk down about the LCR-15. I am running one and I have liked it so far. It's not the perfect center channel, but it works great for me. I can hear some of the imperfections, but it matches with the VR2s and it's much better than anything else in it's price range. Just my $0.02...

I finally came to the conlusion that I am better off having the front 3 match and deal with some of the issues that I may or may not hear with the LCR-15.  The surrounds though, I dont have alot of room for as my seating is against the wall and I am just thinking some of the mini B&Ws will do the trick...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »
I finally came to the conlusion that I am better off having the front 3 match and deal with some of the issues that I may or may not hear with the LCR-15.  The surrounds though, I dont have alot of room for as my seating is against the wall and I am just thinking some of the mini B&Ws will do the trick...

My thoughts, exactly - and I'm not as critical on the center channel for movies as I am my primary pair for 2-ch stereo audio listening.  I originally planned to use a pair of VR-1s as surrounds, but like you I just don't have the space since my seating's against the back wall.  Curious to hear how it turns out when you get there.
Roland R-05

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 02:38:05 PM »
I finally came to the conlusion that I am better off having the front 3 match and deal with some of the issues that I may or may not hear with the LCR-15.  The surrounds though, I dont have alot of room for as my seating is against the wall and I am just thinking some of the mini B&Ws will do the trick...

My thoughts, exactly - and I'm not as critical on the center channel for movies as I am my primary pair for 2-ch stereo audio listening.  I originally planned to use a pair of VR-1s as surrounds, but like you I just don't have the space since my seating's against the back wall.  Curious to hear how it turns out when you get there.

yeah, the VR-1s were my plan as well, and then I realized that was just overkill for what I was doing...and coupled with the space, something small that will throw some sound out there is a good thing. 

Only thing is I have to stage my purchases...LCR-15 and a Rega P1 and Phono Pre now...then a month from now, after the wife has forgotten about what those cost get the b&ws...good news is even new, those are reasonable (sub $500 for some of the lines)....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 02:45:41 PM by nickgregory »

Offline bkirby

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2007, 02:40:23 PM »
I also have the VR-1s as surrounds and I have to admit, they kick ass. But I also see what Nick is saying as I think just about anything will be ok for the surrounds for HT use. They really do excel on multichannel SACD/DVD-A playback, but I really don't do much listening in that realm. I still much prefer straight two-channel listening...

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2007, 02:46:30 PM »
I also have the VR-1s as surrounds and I have to admit, they kick ass. But I also see what Nick is saying as I think just about anything will be ok for the surrounds for HT use. They really do excel on multichannel SACD/DVD-A playback, but I really don't do much listening in that realm. I still much prefer straight two-channel listening...

that is where I am at....multichannel music is a novelty for me at best...I do 99% of my listening in 2 channel mode

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2007, 05:03:19 PM »
Yes, Bi-Wire is two wire with four leads while Shotgun is four seperate wires usually with four leads on each wire.

is what you meant, as you are talking both + and -  in a full channel.  the + splits to the two posts on the speaker and the neg does the same...in a bi-wire setup.

in a shotgun setup, you have four wires, one for each post.
the two like ends are mated -- and ++ on the amp end, so 4 leads go into the two posts.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2007, 05:04:03 PM »
Here's my example of "shotgun" wiring. Hope this helps...

exactly

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com