Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audio room pics, revisited  (Read 81772 times)

Offline shane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: audio room pics, revisited
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2007, 02:11:48 AM »
The speakers are Fostex 126E.  The cabinets aren't custom they are Hornshoppe Horns.  I bought the speakers used on Audiogon for around five bills.  Mine have 25 of lead weight in the base of each.  I couldn't be happier with this setup.  Previously I had it set up for realzies with the speakers right in the corners and it just sounded fantastic to me.  It had a very well rounded and full sound.  These  particular models match the Almarro really well.  Its truly a great bang for the buck setup.  Don't get me wrong I'd love to hear some nice B&Ws or something like that some day but for right now these are perfect.

Shane

cshepherd

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2007, 01:08:29 PM »
Here are some pictures of my listening room.  The Sonist stand mounts have been here for about a month.  They are 95 db efficient with a steady 7 ohm load.  The baffle board is made of a 2" piece of Poplar and serves as a waveguide for the ribbon tweeter and 8" driver.  They are made right down in California and offer an incredible value for the money.  The craftsmanship is top notch and the performance exceeds our expectations.  We are excited to have them in our shop.  Currently, we're using GutWire's Basic speaker cables to connect them.  The Mastersound Compact 845 is a parallel single ended design getting 30 wpc.  It's 80 lbs and is setting on an SRX carbon composite board that weighs virtually nothing by comparison. Mastersound Amps are made in Italy and use proprietary Mastersound Transformers.  The remote is volume only and is made out of Nugget wood from the Swiss Alps.  The SRX products are out of Japan and are currently under evaluation.  The turntable is a Rega P5 with a Dynavector 20X low output MC cartridge and Rega's outboard power supply setting just below it.  The phono stage is Roksan's DX-2 with a dual mono power supply, setting on SRX carbon cones and a Vibrapod sandwich.  The AC distribution is handled by FIM's 880 wall outlet and 15 amp Energy Center.  The Energy Center is sunk into a piece of hard rock maple to handle resonance control. Internal wiring is ultra pure Ohno Continuous Cast copper and its AC outlets are also made by FIM.  The power cords are from GutWire (ranging from $700 - $1600), though these cords are not going to be sticking around after hearing this system with the van den Hul Mainsstream Hybrid power cords ($595).  That conclusion was somewhat disappointing, but it also gives us more respect for the vdH cable and why they choose to make only one power cord for high amp applications.   Passive EMI/RF Interference control is handled by a Symphony & Symphony Pro from Quantum.

Thanks to everyone who posted pics of their system.  This is a great thread.

Chris

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2007, 08:00:59 PM »
Looks great Chris.  The Sonists are quite the lookers and the Mastersound is a thing of beauty too.  You seem quite a bit dedicated to power (cables, outlets, etc).  Do you feel that it really makes that much of a difference to justify the cost?

Shane

Offline chris

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2007, 03:33:41 PM »
Hi,

I apologize for the crappy shots, and messy room....but here's my setup. 

On the rack (top to bottom) includes a Thorens TD150 Mk11ab modified w/a Len Johnson tonearm, this feeds to the Cinemag SUT box (I built) then to the Fi Audio YPH phono stage.  Next to it, is my 6SN7 based preamp built by Paul at Red Iron Amps.  Below that is my trusty old Decware Zen (C) and my Music Hall Maverick.  Under that (on the floor) is a custom built pwr supply for my Thorens table and the "cube" amp.  The wood box behind the chair is the "cube" (sub) built by Ed Schilling.  In the corners are the hornshoppe horns (look for the little white cones).

This where we all hang out (my 3.5 and 1 year old) and sing "yellow submarine". 

Later
Chris E.
Denver CO
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 03:37:02 PM by chris »
LSD2>mod UA5>Darrin's non-reliable PDA (or my non-reliable D8)

cshepherd

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2007, 02:19:22 AM »
Looks great Chris.  The Sonists are quite the lookers and the Mastersound is a thing of beauty too.  You seem quite a bit dedicated to power (cables, outlets, etc).  Do you feel that it really makes that much of a difference to justify the cost?

Shane

Hi Shane,
Thanks for the compliments on the new gear.  A good amp, a good front end and a decent set of speakers are more important when first putting a system together.  At some point, it's necessary to upgrade the AC distribution.  To more directly answer your question, we think it's money well spent.

Chris

Very nice to see the turntables out. 

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2007, 07:53:05 PM »
Chris huge plus T for the sweet Thorens!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline chris

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2007, 10:36:52 PM »
Thanks Carl...I love that damn thorens.  Getting it tweaked takes some time, but once it's set....oh so good.    ;D

later
LSD2>mod UA5>Darrin's non-reliable PDA (or my non-reliable D8)

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2007, 05:29:29 PM »
Yep, I am running a TD125II with a Linn Basik arm & Ortofon cart. Smokes my old VPI HW. I just love the old tables, so sexy to look at, lots of wood with awesome sound. I think some day I will build/buy an idler just to hear it.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2007, 09:47:25 PM »
Here are a few pics from my listening room/office which is in a separate room in the basement, pretty much the only place I could setup at the moment. But the best thing is since it's in the basement, I can play at any time! Ultimately I'd like to have a larger room for this setup -- in time I suppose. Gear is Denon 2910 > Cayin Integrated amp > VR-2's. Also borrowing a friends turntable (and old Luxman) running through a Bellari amp. Audience speaker cables, some anti-cable jumpers; RCA cables are  Kimber pbj's and Audioquest diamondback's.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2007, 06:44:49 PM »
Finally got the new tube pre (Odyssey Candela) and love it!  Unreal what a dedicated 2 channel pre will do.  Had been using the Marantz stereo direct and now I know how bad it really was.  :o  Last upgrade of 2007 will be installing the new Danny Richie x-overs.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2007, 06:45:42 PM »
more...

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2007, 07:27:14 PM »
drool.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2007, 08:14:58 PM »
Finally got the new tube pre (Odyssey Candela) and love it!  Unreal what a dedicated 2 channel pre will do.  Had been using the Marantz stereo direct and now I know how bad it really was.  :o  Last upgrade of 2007 will be installing the new Danny Richie x-overs.

How do you deal with integrating a 2 channel pre in a HT system? I have a 2-ch setup and have been considering going HT since I got a nice projector/screen, but I would rather use the pre for 2ch listening rather than a HT receiver.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2007, 10:06:07 PM »
How do you deal with integrating a 2 channel pre in a HT system? I have a 2-ch setup and have been considering going HT since I got a nice projector/screen, but I would rather use the pre for 2ch listening rather than a HT receiver.

My CJ preamp has a theater mode pass though so a surround sound processor can feed 2ch to the amp outs with the PV14 being a unity gain stage.  Switched out of theater mode it behaves like a normal tub pre.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2007, 10:09:18 PM »

HT bypass works like a charm.  It was between the Odyssey and the Modwright 9.0SE since both can be turned off and pass a signal so tube life isn't wasted while watching a movie.  In order to maintain correct polarity, I had to get a DAC that will invert the absolute polartity (phase inversion) and swap leads on the cartridge leads.  his gets me the same phase from all sources so I don't have to play with the speaker cables leads all the time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com