Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 2)  (Read 187491 times)

Offline gatorglenn

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 2)
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2010, 02:51:11 PM »
Continued to be impressed by the clarity and quality of the casual non-professional recordings made by M10 with just the internal mic. The same piece as I posted a while ago but played on a more percussive Yamaha C-2 piano captured with detailed texture of the instrument in my view:

http://www.box.net/shared/46eix227ex

That sounds pretty good. I found a good deal on a PCM-M10 and am going to order one. It seems to be good recorder for me to try out.

Thanks,
Glenn

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2010, 07:01:44 PM »
I've widened the two piano files that DBXP posted.   What you hear is the original for 20 seconds, then the next 20 seconds is widened, the next 20 seconds original, and so forth.  In the widened bits the centre channel has been reduced by 2dB and the side channel gain increased by 4dB, making a total widening of 6dB.  I've used mp3 256kbps for ease of downloading.

What is most obvious is a hardening of the sound, though the increased left/right resolution should also be noticeable particularly in headphones.  I think what may be going on is that in maths terms, I've created a cardioid pair from the omnis, and you therefore lose some of the omni warmth.  However, it means that there's a solution for anyone having misgivings about the M10 omni mics and who hankers after the more conventional cardioid crossed pair sound.

It would be interesting to try this with something more in the way of an ambient recording - can anyone point me towards a link to a sample?

The processed files are here (the first is the piano recording first posted a couple of weeks back, the second is the one posted in the last few days) -

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/22/1451533/M10%20MS%201.mp3
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/9/22/1451533/M10%20MS%202.mp3

Offline dbxp

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2010, 10:24:27 PM »
Thanks for Ozpeter's stereo enhancement experiment. It's quite an eye (ear?) opener. Some notes that seemed to have some coloring of timber appeared to be helped as well. Those coloring were recording artefacts that were not obvious in the actual environment, possibly due to the non-ideal microphone placement.

The second piano was actually a Yamaha C-3 upon further checking.

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2010, 07:36:50 AM »
Howdy,

since I am curious by profession (electronics engineer), I connected my trusty Tektronix scope to the remote interface of my PCM-M10. This is what I found:

Connector:

4-pole 3.5mm plug
tip = cathode "Recording" LED in remote
ring 1 = data
ring 2 = ground
sleeve = +3V, anode "Recording" LED

data protocol:

Sony SIRC, unmodulated (i.e. lacking the 40kHz carrier),
Start bit + 20 data bits: 7 command bits, 5 device address bits, 8 extra bits (all LSB first)

The following commands are sent in the sequence "start bit - command bits - device address - extra bits":

TMARK: $48-$1A-$E4 (S-0001001-01011-00100111)
STOP:  $18-$1A-$E4 (S-0001100-01011-00100111)
PAUSE: $19-$1A-$E4 (S-1001100-01011-00100111)
REC:   $1D-$1A-$E4 (S-1011100-01011-00100111)

Interestingly, the device address is in the group for Blu-ray recorders, as listed on this page:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/

The missing commands between "PAUSE" and "REC" are (at least in the Blu-ray recorders): $1A, "PLAY", $1B, "<<" and $1C, ">>".
Maybe they are implemented in the M10?

Since I cannot guarantee that my findings are 100% correct, proceed with caution and use the information presented here at your own risk.

Greetings,

Rainer

Hi Rainer do you know if the PCM 50 D has the same Pinout and Data for the Remolte like the 10D ? Because I want to sync 2 50`s with Pin 1+2 for both, tip and sleeve only from one machine...
txn

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Taperssection Regular
Remote for D50
« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2010, 01:38:18 PM »
Hi Headroom,

since I do not know anything about the remote interface of the PCM-D50, I can only speculate:

- connect both ground contacts (obvious...)
- it seems unwise to me to connect two power sources together, so I would use power for the remote only from one recorder
- since it is not known whether the data line from Remote to recorder is unidirectional or bidirectional, I would use two schottky diodes (for example 1N5711) to separate the two data lines from the recorders.

It would be interesting to see a schematic from the service manual of those recorders (back in my MD days I had them from minidisc.org...) to verify my claims ;-)

Greetings,

Rainer
recording steam trains since 1985

Offline headroom

• Taperssection Regular
    • My Work with Photos and for Documentary Cinema ( Soundjob)
Re: Remote for D50
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »
Hi Headroom,

since I do not know anything about the remote interface of the PCM-D50, I can only speculate:

- connect both ground contacts (obvious...)
- it seems unwise to me to connect two power sources together, so I would use power for the
remote only from one recorder
- since it is not known whether the data line from Remote to recorder is unidirectional or bidirectional, I would use two schottky diodes (for example 1N5711) to separate the two data lines from the recorders.

It would be interesting to see a schematic from the service manual of those recorders (back in my MD days I had them from minidisc.org...) to verify my claims ;-)

Greetings,

Rainer
javascript:void(0);

I have the service manual 50D send me your Email and the pdf is coming

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2010, 02:48:06 PM »
Hi headroom,

here it is:

dg1smd(at)vfdb(dot)net

(we should make it not too easy for the spambots ;-) )

Greetings,

Rainer
recording steam trains since 1985

Offline gatorglenn

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »
I got my new PCM-M10 last night via FedEx. Played with it a little bit. Wow this thing is small. It looks great and a couple of quick test recordings using the built in mics sound pretty good. I wish I would have had this in 2008 for some good concerts that I went to then.   :D

Glenn

Offline tekdroid

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #143 on: February 07, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
Just curious how many here have been a tad unsatisfied with the quality control of Sony's LCD on the PCM-M10?

So far I've seen 2 units with display anomalies I have never seen on a monochrome LCD before, let alone any Sony product, so I've decided to put this out there to gauge how many units are suffering from this. It seems they are having quality control issues on such a (seemingly) basic part of the device (if my experience is anything to go by).

Here's what I'm talking about (look for the brighter spots):

It's only noticeable when the unit is in a fairly dark environment and the backlight is on. Otherwise, the unit in daylight is perfectly fine.

The last pic has a slightly darker patch pretty close to the brighter spot, too. Maybe at this point I'm looking for faults, but those brighter spots are very noticeable and IMO shouldn't make it past the factory door.

What I have noticed (as a general observation and perhaps feedback to Sony) is that the whiter spots have varied in size and position on the two diffrerent units I've seen this on; they have been on different areas of the display and are not exactly the same shape on each of them. This particular unit has two such brighter spots, whereas the other unit I saw it on had just the one (but it was larger).

Both were bought from separate retailers.

I would not even mention this had I not seen it on two different units, so I'm guessing it may be fairly common (or I'm just unlucky, hah!).
Anyone else seen this?

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:20:58 AM by tekdroid »

Offline chrise

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2010, 06:17:16 PM »
Dont think mine has anything like that.

(looking at it in the dark)

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2010, 10:51:18 PM »
My display seems to be ok.

Offline CatScan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2010, 05:54:37 AM »
I received my unit only a few days ago and as far as I can see there are no spots on the display.

I have to say that I'm very happy with my PCM-M10. It's even more cute and compact than first thought and I can see it being used a lot. The only thing I think could be better is the speaker which is very weak unless you're in a very quiet environment. But it's not a dealbreaker.

I've just tried connecting the unit via the USB cable to my Mac and have a question: the files are named with the date, but not the recording time. But they're date-stamped of course.
Now, most of my files need editing (they're baby sounds with a lot of silence in between), but if I resave the file I lose the original recording timestamp, so how do you solve this problem, and what kind of software do you recommend? I've tried opening/editing the files with Twisted Wave (link).
(I could of course rename each file to include the recording time, but that would be a lot of work with frequent use of the recorder).

Another thing: is it possible to remove those folders inside the unit (FOLDER01 etc.)? I've tried to put them in the trash when connected to my computer, but they reappear again when disconnected.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:29:24 AM by CatScan »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2010, 12:23:10 PM »
What I'd like to know is how the thing *sounds* compared to the v3's built in a/d.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »
The only thing I think could be better is the speaker which is very weak unless you're in a very quiet environment. But it's not a dealbreaker.
You need to use headphones to really hear what's going on anyway, and the headphone amp is excellent. I guess they could have made the thing the size of a boom box and put a really great speaker in there, but you can't have everything....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:26:05 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2010, 03:59:58 PM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.111 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com