Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommendations for a Portable Audio Recorder  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Gman0117

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recommendations for a Portable Audio Recorder
« on: November 14, 2018, 11:20:53 PM »
Hey guys, I'm very new here as some (or many) might be able to tell, though there's a burning question ignited in my mind lately: "What is the best portable audio recorder for my needs?". To give y'all some background, I am a weather enthusiast and love recording thunderstorms on video and audio. Lately I've been sick and tired of all the horrendous weather videos out there that either feature wind distortion out the wazoo, monophonic sound, or both. I decided to purchase a Zoom H2 recorder to start out and have been using its internal microphones going on 2+ years now. Since then, I've discovered the amazing world of binaural audio recording and searched for portable binaural microphones that are high quality and affordable; I found them: the Sound Professionals MS-TFB-2, utilizing a 3.5mm plug. I've listened to many sound samples of these microphones and they sound simply amazing. A problem arose, however: I wanted to use my Zoom H2 as the microphone for my DSLR, the Nikon D3300, and I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to plug the Sound Professionals into the ext. mic in and have the audio signal feed into the Nikon out the Zoom's line out to avoid the extra step of syncing the audio together in post production. The issue here is not the quality of the DSLR's microphone preamp; it's that it records to 48000Hz at 16 bits when I want to record audio at 96000Hz at 24 bits. Then another problem arose: when I listened back to recordings made with the Sound Professionals again, this time made with the Zoom H2, I could hear hissing and it started to become distracting. To get my point across for tl;dr folks, I'm looking to find a audio recorder that is:

1) Portable and can hopefully fit into a pocket (pants, jackets, etc.)

2) Has a clean 3.5mm mic input with a low noise floor

3) $325 or less

4) Readily available (It's on Amazon, B&H,  etc.)

I've been eyeing at the Roland R-07 and the Tascam DR-100MKIII (I've found prices under $325 for this guy) but I don't know if the 3.5mm ext. mic inputs on these two are good or not (not to mention the Tascam may likely be overkill).

Any thoughts/recommendations you guys?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:05:42 AM by Gman0117 »

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
Re: Recommendations for a Portable Audio Recorder
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 01:00:08 PM »
That’s about the best deal you’ll see. Great deck
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »
I prefer the Sony PCM-M10.

Here is one on Ebay for decent Buy It Now price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-SONY-Portable-Audio-Recorder-Linear-PCM-Recorder-PCM-M10-Black-F-S-from-JP/233004797033?epid=1841443800&hash=item36402b0c69:g:qpQAAOSwz05b64NJ:rk:2:pf:0&LH_BIN=1
agree. the M-10 is perfect for your uses. Decent omni internals and solid mini jack pre amp to my ears.
the Tascam DR-100MKIII is also good for the price, but about twice the size and definitely tough to fit in a shirt pocket which I can do with the M-10
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 10:38:25 AM »
New  Sony A10 looks promising,  check the “recorders” forum, there’s even a couple of comps to M10.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Gman0117

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »
New  Sony A10 looks promising,  check the “recorders” forum, there’s even a couple of comps to M10.
I listened to the comparison and the A10 sounds pretty good! The only problem is: I can't seem to find anywhere where you can purchase it in the U.S.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com