Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Roland R-26 vs. Roland R-07  (Read 4438 times)

Offline peterjcm5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Roland R-26 vs. Roland R-07
« on: November 08, 2018, 12:38:01 PM »
Fairly descent price difference, what about recording quality-how do they compare if they do at all.  I am looking at getting into live recording (I have a background in live sound and a bit of studio experience) and am trying to better understand my options, and in this case the more stealth options.  Are there other companies/devices to consider in this category.  Thanks all, I realize it is a broad question/post.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Roland R-26 vs. Roland R-07
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »
Fairly descent price difference, what about recording quality-how do they compare if they do at all.  I am looking at getting into live recording (I have a background in live sound and a bit of studio experience) and am trying to better understand my options, and in this case the more stealth options.  Are there other companies/devices to consider in this category.  Thanks all, I realize it is a broad question/post.

R-26 is long discontinued (hence why it usually sells for a decent amount on FleaBay along with several other recorders).  This an apples vs. oranges situation as the R07 has strictly 1/8" inputs and the R26 has both 1/8" and XLR. 

Depends on your intended use, really.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 04:36:39 PM »
If stealthing is part of the equation, I'd recommend keeping your eyes open for a Roland R-05.  A lot of people around here will also recommend the M10.  Both are out of production now, though.  The R-05 seems to sell for less, which I'd say is great because even though a lot of people use the R-05 it still seems to be underrated around here compared to the M10.  I love my R-05 and even though I've seen many opportunities to pick up a used M10, I've never seen a good reason to do so.

As far as what's available on the new market, the Roland R-07 seems to be the clear winner at the moment.  If you want to go really stealthy there's the Zoom F1.  DPA d:vice paired with an iPhone is also a good option, though it kind of locks you in to DPA mics (AFAIK) and it's not cheap.

If you want a deck that can also provide phantom power, but is stealthable, I'm out of my depth.  If it were me in that situation, I think the MixPre-3 is worth consideration.  It's not as small as an R-05 or M10, but it's pretty damn small and stealthing it is certainly a reasonable possibility.

If you don't need to worry about stealthing when using phantom power mics, there's the option of using your stealth deck with an outboard preamp.  This seems like a good time to be picking up preamps around here...all-in-one recorders have gotten good enough that a lot of people have no interest in external preamps so you can get some good used deals.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 03:03:43 PM »
If stealthing is part of the equation, I'd recommend keeping your eyes open for a Roland R-05.  A lot of people around here will also recommend the M10.  Both are out of production now, though.  The R-05 seems to sell for less, which I'd say is great because even though a lot of people use the R-05 it still seems to be underrated around here compared to the M10.  I love my R-05 and even though I've seen many opportunities to pick up a used M10, I've never seen a good reason to do so.

As far as what's available on the new market, the Roland R-07 seems to be the clear winner at the moment.  If you want to go really stealthy there's the Zoom F1.  DPA d:vice paired with an iPhone is also a good option, though it kind of locks you in to DPA mics (AFAIK) and it's not cheap.

If you want a deck that can also provide phantom power, but is stealthable, I'm out of my depth.  If it were me in that situation, I think the MixPre-3 is worth consideration.  It's not as small as an R-05 or M10, but it's pretty damn small and stealthing it is certainly a reasonable possibility.

If you don't need to worry about stealthing when using phantom power mics, there's the option of using your stealth deck with an outboard preamp.  This seems like a good time to be picking up preamps around here...all-in-one recorders have gotten good enough that a lot of people have no interest in external preamps so you can get some good used deals.

All GREAT comments by Heathen.  I would like to give my vote for the Zoom F1. It's built like a little tank, but VERY small and stealthy. I'm absolutely 110% pleased with mine.

Offline u2_fly_2

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 03:01:17 AM »
R-26 also has decent or better than average internal micĀ“s than most recorders.

Also you can record up to 3 different sources at the same time and make a matrix later on with the files.
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 12:50:32 AM »
^ Technically true, but I believe the R-26 only records 4 channels from external sources (dual XLR and a stereo 1/8" input).  The third source has to be the onboard mics. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com