Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Live Recording EDM Club / Festival  (Read 16434 times)

Offline taynos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Live Recording EDM Club / Festival
« on: March 10, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »
Looking to do an audience recording of an EDM show at a multilevel club in Los Angeles that fits about 1500 people.

I am weighing the options between a discreet iOS solution or standalone tascam sort of deck. I don't believe the venue allows audio taping but everyone will be in there shooting off their phones and we are doing a little experiment to see how much better the audio recording will be. No way I can set up mic stands and shotguns.

for my iphone i have looked at
Shure MV88 or Rode i-XY

The Rode can shoot 24bit 96k
The Shure can shoot 24bit 48k

I am planning on doing some heavy post processing to make the recording sound more like a soundboard then an audience tape and "getting the room" so I am assuming I will have more to play with the 96k recording of the Rode

Because I need to be discrete, i was thinking of hanging the phone around my neck and standing on the balcony high above the crowd. The shure has has the ability to articulate down and point towards the stage while the phone hangs on my chest. The Rode would be pointing up at the ceiling in this same scenario unless I create a custom way to point the X-Y mics toward the stage (is this advantageous? or will I get similar imaging with mics pointed toward ceiling) 

Also, EDM shows are significantly bass heavy and wondering if there is a way to get a low cut filter in there before the bass overshadows the rest of the mix.

Both Rode and Shure have iOS apps that allow me to ride then gain so there wouldn't be clipping.

I am aware that a stand alone tascam type of device might yield better results but might be tougher to get through security. Again, we are simply doing a test to see how good of a recording we can get in the venue in this kind of environment. 

Any thoughts or wisdom on this plan or things we have overlooked, or ways to do this better would be very helpful. Thanks!

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: Live Recording EDM Club / Festival
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 09:23:49 PM »
A pair of Schoeps plugged a pre-amp into the Tascam will make a kickass recording.  With some ingenuity you can get it past security.   >:D tapers on here do it all the time.

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 10:20:19 PM »
A pair of Schoeps plugged a pre-amp into the Tascam will make a kickass recording.  With some ingenuity you can get it past security.   >:D tapers on here do it all the time.
not discounting this approach, but security at many EDM shows is several levels above what most members here are used to. Think Tool concert.
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 01:12:53 AM »
not discounting this approach, but security at many EDM shows is several levels above what most members here are used to. Think Tool concert.

Tighter than walkthrough/patdown at places like Oracle Arena, Madison Square Garden etc?. 

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 03:45:00 AM »
Personally, I can't hear anywhere close to 20,000 Hz. Thus, I think recording at 96KHz is totally pointless unless your target audience is birds and dogs, or you'll be doing pitch change sample playback with it, and want to slow it down more than an octave or two...

Seriously, If I record at 96KHz and downsample to 48kHz, then invert and bounce, I won't hear anything on the result file, so that indicates to me that 96K is not worth the storage space.

The Rode can shoot 24bit 96k
The Shure can shoot 24bit 48k

I am planning on doing some heavy post processing to make the recording sound more like a soundboard then an audience tape and "getting the room" so I am assuming I will have more to play with the 96k recording of the Rode
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 07:23:57 AM »
I am planning on doing some heavy post processing to make the recording sound more like a soundboard then an audience tape
How does this work?

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »
The Shure mv88 makes good recordings and the app has low cut and anything else you might want , but still not as good as External mics and Sony m10

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 04:37:47 PM »
I think you may have confused this site with the Shitty Cell Phone Recording forum.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 06:23:34 PM »
I am planning on doing some heavy post processing to make the recording sound more like a soundboard then an audience tape
How does this work?

:lol:

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 07:34:01 PM »
I think you may have confused this site with the Shitty Cell Phone Recording forum.

There should be a special board for that.   :yack: :yack: :yack:

mfrench

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 08:07:59 PM »
Or, we could keep it new member friendly, and not belittle them?!

Ask The Tapers
Have a question about taping that doesn't fit neatly into one of the dedicated Tech Help sub-forums? Ask here! We'd love to help. Newbie friendly (as is all of TS).
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:35:48 PM by Moke »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 01:03:06 AM »
Or, we could keep it new member friendly, and not belittle them?!

Indeed.  If you don't have anything nice to say...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 12:55:30 PM »
Sorry, you guys are right. In a shitty mood and forumed that. Old Marc.  :facepalm:

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »

Sorry Taynos, that was shitty.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 09:43:33 PM »

snip< I am aware that a stand alone tascam type of device might yield better results but might be tougher to get through security > snip

Security folks may buy that it's an MP3 player if you declare it as such.

If you want it to sound like a soundboard recording get a feed from the soundboard. Bribing the FOH may do the trick.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com