Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: aeta 6 track recorder  (Read 81326 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
Re: aeta 6 track recorder
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2016, 09:12:56 AM »

I could be wrong about this but I think that Sound-Pro told me before I purchased this machine that if I wanted to add the Time Code feature in the future that additional hardware was required and that I would have to send the machine back to AETA for this.  I am perfectly OK with this as I will likely NEVER want the time code feature.  And I didn't pay for that!

I could also be wrong about this but I do think that additional hardware may be needed for the Soundfield option.  I am less sure of this than the Time Code option.  Again, this is a feature that I really don't think that I would ever want or use.  So I didn't pay for it!

Even though I've only had the 4MinX for a very short time I am very pleased with it to this point!!  8 track recorder/mixer with 4 world class pre's, for less than the price of a new SD744T.  What is not to like about that!  I really don't understand all of the hubbub surrounding this machine and it's pricing.  I have a fully featured 8 track recorder/mixer with all of the options that I desired!  I have ZERO regrets about making this purchase!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2016, 09:28:49 AM »
^ I think John posted earlier that timecode requires additional hardware, but not Soundfield. 

In any event, I think this is a pretty cool machine and I am glad you like it.  The thing about the pricing is that the hardware is there for all of the recording functions, even if you buy it as just a mixer.  No matter what, you are paying for the hardware.  You should be able to use it.  I don't know why they don't just sell one, fully functional version with optional timecode and Soundfield...

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2016, 11:11:09 AM »
Aeta isn't the only one with this licensing scheme - Zaxcom does this as well with its extremely popular nomad series and other then people here I have seen no one else complain about this - this class of machines (including the sd 7xx series) where never intended for concert tapers and if sound professionals don't seem to care I don't see this approach changing
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:16:07 AM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2016, 11:36:52 AM »
When I ordered mine I was glad to hear that additional channels were a software upgrade. To save a bit of $, my original plan was to order 6 channels w/o TC and get the other 2 at a later time. I figured this was much easier than having to send it back to France. When I found out how inexpensive the additional 2 were, I went ahead and ordered 8 w/o TC.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2016, 05:00:55 PM »
Aeta isn't the only one with this licensing scheme - Zaxcom does this as well with its extremely popular nomad series and other then people here I have seen no one else complain about this...

I think that's because Zaxcom isn't well regarded in the first place, ymmv. I don't like their recorders, never have, and the sentiment I generally see towards their products on other forums is not universally positive. Not even close. Here's a few relevant (and fairy scathing) quotes from John himself, since he's probably the only one that has actually used their products, going back all the way to 2008:

Personally, I would not go for a Zaxcom.  Their ergonomics and digital expertise are superb - but they do seem to lack on the analogue side - and I have heard this from many sources.

Zaxcom I respect for being the first HD recorder and they make some good stuff.  But I don't like their attitude - I won't go into chapter and verse, but I have met the man from Zaxcom and know several users.  I'm not saying they are bad, just that there are certain things I don't like and reasons I would not buy one.

From what I have seen of the Zaxcom, I would never use one, whatever the price.

I guess it didn't really click that Zaxcom also employs this pricing model, but now that we've been reminded, I wouldn't give them a pass either.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 05:20:58 PM by hi and lo »

Offline StuStu

« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2016, 01:27:25 AM »
^^^I don't understand your negativity towards John Willett or the 4MinX. Until you've tried one out, why troll this thread? As for John, he's always been very straight forward about his professional affiliations. Granted, I haven't taken the time to dig up posts of  John's from eight years ago, but he's been nothing but 100% class to me. His advice was invaluable with both the 4MinX and even more so in sharing his knowledge of digital mics with me. To me, he's one of the pillars of TS. Look at his credentials if you don't believe me.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2016, 01:28:24 AM »
My post above isn't a troll. I'm quoting him as a resource.

Offline StuStu

« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2016, 01:41:09 AM »
My post above isn't a troll. I'm quoting him as a resource.

My troll label is more about your repeated negative comments in a thread regarding a fantastic all-in-one recorder. A recorder in which you, seemingly, have no personal experience with. Digging up eight year old quotes of John's is a whole another topic. :-X

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2016, 01:43:07 AM »
I appreciate your feedback, but I don't view any of my comments in this thread as trolling and quite a few other users have been able to engage in meaningful discussion as a result.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »
I agree with hi and lo, and, I have to admit, I am kind of at a loss as to why anyone would think this pricing scheme is OK.  When you buy the most basic "model", you are actually buying all of those pre-amps, even if you can't use them.  AETA sold you the complete hardware package (excepting timecode, I guess) and presumably made a profit doing so.  To actually charge you more money to use the pres you already paid for is simply ridiculous.  This is not like tonedeaf's analogy where the automaker has different engines available (4- or 6-, or turbo 6-cylinder, for example) and you pay more for a better engine that also costs more to produce.  In this case, everyone is paying for the turbo 6, but you can't actually use the top two cylinders or the turbo unless you pay some extra premium.  Lame.

This is silly and written without any knowledge it seems.

The mic. pre-amps are usable on *all* versions - on the 0-track version all 10 inputs are fully available to the user - just that in this configuration the unit is a mixer only and doesn't record.

All the software options do is to enable the number of recording tracks - everything else is fully usable.

To answer some other things...

What I do has always been on my sig. and the Sound-Link bit was added as soon as I acquired the company.

If the US AETA dealer wants to contact me, I am very happt to let him have the master of my price list file, so he can overwrite with US prices and insert his own details.

Regarding the Nagra VI battery - there has been a load of rubbish talked about this and a video which promotes something that is actually quite dangerous.  Yes, the pricing is high, but it's reasonable for a high end product that is made in small qualtities.  And Nagra *do* offer a re-battery service if anyone has a battery pack that fails.  I presume they will even upgrade a pack to the high capacity version, I assume, as the box is the same for both versions.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2016, 10:41:46 AM »
I agree with hi and lo, and, I have to admit, I am kind of at a loss as to why anyone would think this pricing scheme is OK.  When you buy the most basic "model", you are actually buying all of those pre-amps, even if you can't use them.  AETA sold you the complete hardware package (excepting timecode, I guess) and presumably made a profit doing so.  To actually charge you more money to use the pres you already paid for is simply ridiculous.  This is not like tonedeaf's analogy where the automaker has different engines available (4- or 6-, or turbo 6-cylinder, for example) and you pay more for a better engine that also costs more to produce.  In this case, everyone is paying for the turbo 6, but you can't actually use the top two cylinders or the turbo unless you pay some extra premium.  Lame.

This is silly and written without any knowledge it seems.

The mic. pre-amps are usable on *all* versions - on the 0-track version all 10 inputs are fully available to the user - just that in this configuration the unit is a mixer only and doesn't record.

Right.  Well, the way I see it, is if I buy a recorder with X pre-amps, I should be able to record X pre-amps.  Apparently, you're mileage may vary, but I won't call you silly or ignorant for thinking that.  ::)

Online yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2016, 11:11:29 AM »
^why would i want to pay for a recorder if all that i was looking for is a mixer??

......i'm just stirring the pot.   ;)
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2016, 11:28:03 AM »

Right.  Well, the way I see it, is if I buy a recorder with X pre-amps, I should be able to record X pre-amps.  Apparently, you're mileage may vary, but I won't call you silly or ignorant for thinking that.  ::)

And the way you see it is correct - you *can* use *all* the pre-amps in every version.

There is nothing that stops the use of *any* pre-amp.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #148 on: July 11, 2016, 11:39:01 AM »
^why would i want to pay for a recorder if all that i was looking for is a mixer??

......i'm just stirring the pot.   ;)

Look guys if you don't like the pricing model don't buy the product and move the fuck on!  This incessant Trolling gets you all nowhere and is one of the reason taperssection is going to shit IMO.

It's not like any of you can afford a Nagra VI so who cares if the battery costs X.  Same here - go play with you toys elsewhere!
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2016, 12:05:25 PM »
It's not like any of you can afford a Nagra VI so who cares if the battery costs X.

LOL

Not correct - I own a Nagra VI and I own a 4MinX as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com