Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: External DVD burner for MAC?  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
External DVD burner for MAC?
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »
Did a search and the results I'm seeing are from years ago; any suggestions?  My superdrive is on the fritz
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Re: External DVD burner for MAC?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »
I got a Memorex MRX-650LE v3 and it works flawlessly.

I got it for basically free though.  I never trusted Memorex CDR media so I was skeptical at first...but it does a first rate job FWIW.

I have a buddy who works closely with Apple and also beta tests a lot of the new apps, etc through his IT company and he told me that Apple basically makes their drives to last approx. 2 years before burning out and making the people purchase new drives.  Similar to the way the do their battery charging cycles before they start giving you that "low Battery" indicator.  I wasn't sure if I believed it at first but it seems that just about everybody I know, myself included, had their superdrives crap out between 1 1/2 - 2 year mark.  Pretty shitty if that is true.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:28:40 AM »

I got it for basically free though.  I never trusted Memorex CDR media so I was skeptical at first...but it does a first rate job FWIW.

I have a buddy who works closely with Apple and also beta tests a lot of the new apps, etc through his IT company and he told me that Apple basically makes their drives to last approx. 2 years before burning out and making the people purchase new drives.  Similar to the way the do their battery charging cycles before they start giving you that "low Battery" indicator.  I wasn't sure if I believed it at first but it seems that just about everybody I know, myself included, had their superdrives crap out between 1 1/2 - 2 year mark.  Pretty shitty if that is true.

thanks; can't find a "V3" but not sure if that's important or not; the one I found looks good

Planned Obsolescence?  Say it ain't so Joe...
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:53:33 AM »

100% false.  Apple doesn't manufacture optical drives.  The drive that comes in your mac is made by one of the standard sources (matshita, toshiba, samsung, etc). 

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:54:15 AM »
Did a search and the results I'm seeing are from years ago; any suggestions?  My superdrive is on the fritz

anything should work fine. 

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 02:47:08 PM »
i took the failing superdrive for my macbook air to my nearby apple store (without a receipt) and walked out with a shiny new replacement superdrive.  Worth a shot

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 10:42:03 PM »

Bollocks.  What Scott said.  Anything should work fine, especially.  I bought a Lacie BD burner off Craigslist for $80 and couldn't be happier.  Seller even left a movie in there for me!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com