Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone doing small run CD Production at home?  (Read 1686 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Anyone doing small run CD Production at home?
« on: November 25, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »
The show I work for sells CDs - we have 2 studio discs and 1 live.

We ran out of our last batch of silvers a while ago - and have been selling CD-R copies since.

We really want to get a more produced product back in the market.
We need the promotional effect of the graphics and other infos - and I dont think we really get that from a CD-R in a sleeve with a cheesy piece of paper with song titles.

I just ordered this Epson Printer (Artisan 730) - that prints on CDs - one of the few cheapies that still do this trick.
And also added a Continuous Ink Supply setup - which seems the be the ticket for doing a lot of inkjet work.

I'll be doing this on a decent XP box - and I have Nero Cover Designer - from Nero 6

And I already downloaded the Epson CD Designer product - very similar to Nero

Im not stranger to graphics editing/production - so both of these look very straight forward.
I have plenty of other graphic editing software to pre-prep any stuff I need to drop into Nero/Epson

Are there any other must have products for layout?

Also - The Epson printer recommended white CDs - is there any difference between white and clear matte?

thanks!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 05:37:50 PM by runonce »

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone doing small run CD Production at home?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:58:59 AM »
I've got this process running - and so far - spectacularly pleased!

Working on my first batch - the print quality is excellent - and darn fast. Seems like it takes barely a minute to print the disc.

Still working off the stock cartridges...we'll see how far into a 50 pack of blanks that gets me.

Im almost tempted to sell them without inserts...I have the song titles on the disc.
The cover would likely be a repeat of the disc graphics anyway...still mulling on that one...

I'll post some sample pix of finished product later...

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Anyone doing small run CD Production at home?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 09:24:42 AM »
I have the epson 720 and use white cds with great results. (using the "best photo" printing option) Never tried any other color blanks.

For inserts, I've tried different paper.  Much of the photo paper was too heavy and would not crease well.
I've settled on HP brochure paper 180g/48 lb glossy (It isn't as glossy as photo paper).  It allows double sided printing I do on some inserts/booklets.
I choose "Premium photo paper semi-gloss" in the printer's options.
If you do a 4-page booklet for the insert, it gets a little tight in the jewel case, but I don't do those anyway.
Just be careful not to get the "trifold" brochure or presentation paper; it has creases.
Hope this helps.

Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com