Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT Transfer From Sony D10 Pro II>Macbook Unibody ( USB )  (Read 3259 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
DAT Transfer From Sony D10 Pro II>Macbook Unibody ( USB )
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »
Is this possible?  I have a Sony D10 Pro II and it works great as a playback deck, but I'm wondering how I would go about using it to transfer some DATs I have ( a lot actually ).   have the cable to send a digital signal out, but not sure how I would capture that with my Macbook unibody.  I think the only input I have is USB. 

A lot of the DATs are from Kimock early 2000 and some SCI from same time.  SCI are uncirculated fobs, and the Kimock are from Pat Cooper's AKG C61's.   
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: DAT Transfer From Sony D10 Pro II>Macbook Unibody ( USB )
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
Is this possible?  I have a Sony D10 Pro II and it works great as a playback deck, but I'm wondering how I would go about using it to transfer some DATs I have ( a lot actually ).   have the cable to send a digital signal out, but not sure how I would capture that with my Macbook unibody.  I think the only input I have is USB. 

A lot of the DATs are from Kimock early 2000 and some SCI from same time.  SCI are uncirculated fobs, and the Kimock are from Pat Cooper's AKG C61's.

You can get a format converter and use the builtin Toslink port.  What looks like a mini 1/8" analog jack is also a Toslink mini jack, just need the adapter. 

Let me know if you need more info.

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:59:27 PM »
PAt cooper c61's....yes please!!!  Help this guy out!
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline sspott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Impossible -> Vacation -> Sometimes
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »
Easiest (and arguably the cheapest) would be to go via 1/4" out

Sony D10 -> Hosa Cable CPR201 Dual 1/4 Inch To RCA Cable > Behringer UCA202 USB Audio Interface > USB > OS X > Audacity [Open source]

For about $50, you get a pretty great (and portable) setup, not to mention... using the UCA202 as a DAC for playback is a great 'bang-for-your-buck' piece for Computer Audio.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 12:32:46 AM »

You can get a format converter and use the builtin Toslink port.  What looks like a mini 1/8" analog jack is also a Toslink mini jack, just need the adapter. 

Let me know if you need more info.

This is probably the way to go, unless there is a SPDIF>USB device out there that's bit-perfect...

Look for a Hosa ODL-276 (SPDIF>TOSLINK) and you should be able to do lossless Transfers of your DATs to your MAC...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »
The Macbook ( late 2009 unibody--I think ) ) doesn't have the optical input, but my mac mini does.  I checked the Hosa ODL 276.  I think I need the ODL 312.  AES>converter>Mac Mini.  What cable do I need?  I see there are some Toslink>SPDIF ( looks like a 3.5 mini ) cables, but they are cheap in price, so I'm wondering if that makes a difference.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »
The Macbook ( late 2009 unibody--I think ) ) doesn't have the optical input, but my mac mini does.  I checked the Hosa ODL 276.  I think I need the ODL 312.  AES>converter>Mac Mini.  What cable do I need?  I see there are some Toslink>SPDIF ( looks like a 3.5 mini ) cables, but they are cheap in price, so I'm wondering if that makes a difference.

This adapter has served me well going from a standard optical cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Recoton-Fiber-Optic-Toslink-Adapter/dp/B0002MQGRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355445333&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+toslink+adapter

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 11:08:14 PM »

Ahhh...  You're right, you'll need the AES>Optical Hosa unit...  I didn't realize the D10II was AES out until just now... 

As for the cable, when I was using TOSLINKs, I got the typical Radio Shack Gold cable and the 1/8" adapters Key2Hey linked above...  Worked great, even in the field...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 04:45:26 PM »
Thank you everyone for pointing me in the direction I need to find the stuff I need.

:D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com