Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need AU or VST to remove frequencies  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
Need AU or VST to remove frequencies
« on: January 05, 2013, 12:49:18 AM »
I unwittingly made several recordings at a festival with a bad mic and now I am trying to repair as best I can. Namely, I need something that will remove the sound below 40 Hz or so, but all the eq, pass, and shelf filters I have tried do so gradually. I need to nuke those frequencies. Prefer something free, naturally, AU or VSTs.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Need AU or VST to remove frequencies
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 10:40:09 AM »
The only thing I know of that will do a brickwall HPF like that is the newest version of Ozone from Izotope. It was added when they released v5. I think they have  trial mode which would work.

Besides that, one way to accomplish it with the traditional HPF is to start slightly higher and then run the same plugin multiple times over to increase the steepness beyond what the plugin naturally does.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:48:32 PM »
You can run FFT filter set to lose freq where ever you like and as steep a slope as you like.  I use the standard one in audition all the time to kill subharmonics that are not needed in recording.  But you could dial it in to roll off everything below a freq or even notch something if desired

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 06:07:44 PM »
The only thing I know of that will do a brickwall HPF like that is the newest version of Ozone from Izotope. It was added when they released v5. I think they have  trial mode which would work.

Besides that, one way to accomplish it with the traditional HPF is to start slightly higher and then run the same plugin multiple times over to increase the steepness beyond what the plugin naturally does.

Thanks for the tips, page. Using plug-ins with either Wave Editor or Sample Manager, I was able to achieve some success. Oddly, using multiple passes of the AUAppleGraphicEq to subtract 20db of 20/25/31.5/40Hz at a time still didn't remove the low end activity even after 6 passes (see attached screen shots). For a little more background, the right channel mic was producing some weirdness that was sometimes audible, sometimes not. I didn't notice it in the spectrograph at first; I just happened to run my hand under my downward-firing sub and felt the cone wobbling wildly. That is my main concern in regard to fixing these recordings - speaker insurance!

Multiple runs of the AULowShelfFilter did work (-40@20Hz), but seemed to have thinned the sound. What worked best was to do multiple runs of the EQ, then one pass of the low shelf filter. That got rid of the low end gunk, and kept most of the sound at 50Hz and above mostly intact. Unfortunately, adding in more gain to the test sample to bring up the peaks closer to 0db brought the low end gunk back slightly based on the spectrograph, but the subwoofer was behaving nicely again. I did all this on the R channel and then joined it back to the L channel in Sample Manager. Still doesn't sound like I think it should, but maybe that's expecting too much.

Would Ozone 5 work more elegantly? I have a festival's worth of shows that I would have to repair within the trial period.
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 06:41:31 PM »
Would Ozone 5 work more elegantly? I have a festival's worth of shows that I would have to repair within the trial period.

can you post a 1 minute sample in flac and I'll run it through Ozone and post it back so you can see, but yes, I'd expect it to as it has a brickwall LPF in addition to the normal roll off filters.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com