Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What to do with three sources?  (Read 3480 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
What to do with three sources?
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
Hey everyone,

Just came back from a killer show last night with a duo -- one musician behind the kit and another playing lap steel, bass pedals and occasional vocals or guitar.  The room wasn't the most optimum one for recording and we knew we'd be facing a lot of drunk wooks.

Mix was mono because it was a small stage and room.  We recorded the following:

1/ Soundboard 1/4" out (dual channel mono) > 680

2/ Naiant AKG CK62 actives at stage lip (micing the stage) > TinyBox > M10

3/ AKG 480/CK63 > V3 > 680 (chatty crowd located just left of the board -- close to centre of the room).

I've done matrix mixes of the 680 and M10 before so it's not a hard thing to do.  I've just been toying with how to best proceed on this one.  My first thought is to mix the two ambient room mics (CK62 omnis and hypers) and then add in (maybe) a little bit of the soundboard.  Would this be the best route to go?

Thanks for any help.

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: What to do with three sources?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
It's going to be trial and error one, isn't it?

I've done quite a few mixes of board + two pairs of mics but I bet at least 50% of the time one of the ambient sources gets junked.

I wonder if you might start by using the board and stage lip source as the main mix and then try bringing in the third source for a bit of room ambience if proves too dry without? Could always just fade that source up at the end of each song if you need the crowd response but find that it detracts from the overall sound during the songs.

I'm not a big believer in multiple location matrices. Stage lip plus something a bit further back in the room can work well, but I often end up questioning whether I'm using a particular source purely because it's available rather than because it brings something useful to the mix...
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

adrianf74

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »
It's going to be trial and error one, isn't it?

I've done quite a few mixes of board + two pairs of mics but I bet at least 50% of the time one of the ambient sources gets junked.

I wonder if you might start by using the board and stage lip source as the main mix and then try bringing in the third source for a bit of room ambience if proves too dry without? Could always just fade that source up at the end of each song if you need the crowd response but find that it detracts from the overall sound during the songs.

I'm not a big believer in multiple location matrices. Stage lip plus something a bit further back in the room can work well, but I often end up questioning whether I'm using a particular source purely because it's available rather than because it brings something useful to the mix...

Indeed.  This one's gonna be a huge trial and error situation.   I was just listening to the omnis at the lip and they're good but a bit noisy -- I still need to hear the other sources which aren't with me.  My original thought was as you said (stage lip and board plus hypers) but my buddy thought otherwise.  I'm sure it's gonna need a little bit of everything but you can hear the crowd in between songs on the stage lip recording.  I'll need to experiment a bit with this one.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:05:15 PM »

All of this.

At first blush I'd mix as much as possible with the stage-lip and mono feeds, then listen very carefully to it and see where you'd like improvements in things like crowd response and just use those segments from the room pair (like between songs for clapping response or other stuff like that, just do fast fade ins and slower fade outs sort of thing to simulate people quieting down). I don't see a reason to include the room pair 100% of the time otherwise as the ck62s are omni.

Conversely, I think it's a waste to mix two sources that were at the same place (I'm dealing with the same location defects in both; if a drunkard screams, he's probably in both mic pair's resulting recording as no pattern is going to get rid of that...). I think doing a mix is a compromise; you ditch soundstage clarity for a gain in something you're missing. Stuff at the same location largely adds so little in my experience that it's not worth that hit on the soundstage. ymmv.

I have been guilty of trying to use a source because I had it though. Once ran 8ch and used like 5 of them when all was said and done because the other 3 just weren't getting me a meaningful improvement on what I was making. That can be a tough pill to swallow when you're in the heat of mixing though.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline yousef

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:15:45 PM »
Conversely, I think it's a waste to mix two sources that were at the same place (I'm dealing with the same location defects in both; if a drunkard screams, he's probably in both mic pair's resulting recording as no pattern is going to get rid of that...).

This is true. I should've said that I wasn't a big believer in multiple mic pairs full-stop, rather than multiple locations.

Having said that, as you say, multiple locations are a lifesaver when there's some imbecile intent on ruining one of the ambient sources - but I'd hope to be fading those sources in and out as needed for a bit of audience feedback rather than having one or more running throughout.

But what sounds good sounds good - the OP has a fun/frustrating few days ahead...
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

adrianf74

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 01:20:14 PM »
But what sounds good sounds good - the OP has a fun/frustrating few days ahead...

QFT.

Thanks for the words as well, Page. 

I don't have the other two sources yet so I won't be playing with these files until next weekend at the very earliest.   I'm sure this is going to be an exercise in frustration to the nth degree.  I was listening to the omni souce (since I have it) and I've got three drunk wooks standing up by the stacks talking yelling during the first number.  I know the hypers are gonna be a mess because of constant chatter at the back of the main music area.   And I have no promises on the board since I'm sure it's very dry.  It's gonna be a lot of trial and error; I already have a great capture from a previous industry/close friends of the band gig earlier in the week (straight CK63's > TinyBox > M10) which is both a phenomenal capture and show  Almost makes me want to shelve this attempt.  :)

Marshall7

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 01:27:29 PM »
I often end up questioning whether I'm using a particular source purely because it's available rather than because it brings something useful to the mix...

Ain't that the truth!  I often master recordings for friends, who insist that I do a matrix of their two or three sources.  Often I ask them how they think adding an inferior source to a good (or at least better) source is somehow going to make for a better finished product than just using the best source by itself.   ::)

A lot of people seem of the opinion that because something is called a "matrix" it is somehow the be-all and end-all of possible options.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 11:01:20 PM »
pick two pairs, or make a surround mix!?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 12:31:03 AM »
I often end up questioning whether I'm using a particular source purely because it's available rather than because it brings something useful to the mix...

Ain't that the truth!  I often master recordings for friends, who insist that I do a matrix of their two or three sources.  Often I ask them how they think adding an inferior source to a good (or at least better) source is somehow going to make for a better finished product than just using the best source by itself.   ::)

A lot of people seem of the opinion that because something is called a "matrix" it is somehow the be-all and end-all of possible options.

So true! I mainly got my mk4 setup for multiple stages at festies, but Ive noticed a LOT of tapers recently "matrixing" their [2] diff DAUD sources into one final mixdown. I DO record with BOTH of my rigs at single staged shows, but I dont "matrix" them! I just enjoy each source by itself. Sounds like overkill and all, but it doesnt take me much time or money to edit [2] sources, so I just say "fuck it" and record with both rigs. And I see no reason to matrix two DAUD sources unless one is lacking in one area[lowend] and the other lacking in [highend]. Then, I think its OK to matrix the two sources. But I dont see much need for a "matrix" of an mk4/mk41 source, ya know?!?!?! I just dont see the benefit of combining two sources that are just 2" apart from each other, like how I run my rigs indoors mainly 8)

And just like you said, just because people put "matrix" in the kickdown name, then EVERYONE thinks its the holy grail, when most likely, just one source is all thats needed to fully enjoy the show afterwards ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »
One thought not mentioned is to play with the EQ of the mono SBD source a little bit before assignment to each mixdown channel.  Depending on where the instruments were located on stage, you could try to emphasize the frequencies of that particular instrument in one channel of your mixdown.  For example, if there had been a bass player on the left side of the stage, putting some low end emphasis on the left channel could add something to your mixdown. 

The other thing you can do to liven up a mono SBD is put a tiny amount of delay between the left and right channels on the mixdown.  I'm not sure how well that would integrate with the other sources, but in situations where all I've had to work with is a mono SBD, adding delay makes the difference between something that can sound quite nice and something I'd probably never listen to again.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 02:07:40 PM »
Rather than putting delay between channels on a mono SBD (which creates a phase differential that may be unnatural or less than effective), try putting a little reverb/delay effect (just a little!) on the SBD source (both channels).  If you have a "dry" SBD that usually fixes it right up. 

I'm not at all a fan of reverb in a live mix at shows (and some of the better soundpeople I've heard aren't either) since the room usually takes care of that, but the SBD recording of a dry source can seem one dimensional without some adjustment (and sometimes a feed bypasses effects processing).  If the music has vocals (and even if not) I will sometimes add a mild bit of reverb to the SBD.  I adjust that to get the right tone on the vocals (if present).  I probably have a good before/after example around somewhere.  It's surprising (and like I said I can't stand a reverb soaked live mix, so it can be really effective and nice in moderation). 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 03:57:23 PM »
Missed this thread until today.  What worked out?

I would’ve suggested to start with the mono sbd panned center combined with either the back of room pair or the stage pair panned hard left/right, and level/eq balance those three elements.  Try it both ways and decide which is better. 

At that point I might toy with mixing in a touch of the other pair if I wanted to play around with it, but only if that addition helped significantly enough to make doing so worthwhile, and then only enough of it to gain some clarity/timbre/image from the stagelip pair or ambient room feel and depth from the pair in back.

My reason for posting is to comment more generally-

Conversely, I think it's a waste to mix two sources that were at the same place (I'm dealing with the same location defects in both; if a drunkard screams, he's probably in both mic pair's resulting recording as no pattern is going to get rid of that...). I think doing a mix is a compromise; you ditch soundstage clarity for a gain in something you're missing. Stuff at the same location largely adds so little in my experience that it's not worth that hit on the soundstage. ymmv.

I agree with both of you, but for alternate reasons. The primary way I think about it is in terms of what information is contained in each channel, and if and how that maybe useful or not. That’s often partly determined by what information is strongly shared between channels and what information isn’t strongly shared between them.

When I’m thinking about mixing, I care less about where the mics were located relative to each other than about what information is in each and if that information combines with conflict or harmony.  General guidelines about mixing mics from the same location verses different locations become less clear because there are so exceptions to the potential rules.  For me, thinking about the difference (and similarity) of information provided in each pair avoids that problem.

A pair onstage and a pair way in the back of the room can complement each other if they don’t conflict and each provides something useful the other is deficient in.  The pair onstage is probably far more dynamic, with greater direct sound clarity, strong imaging, etc and the pair in back may be more balanced overall, have room ambience, depth, audience reaction.   But two pairs in nearly the same location can do that too if they are pointed in opposite directions.. and in may ways they may do so better because despite the proximity, they contain less of the same information.  I now prefer room mics that are in close proximity to the ‘main mics’ but pointed the opposite direction to a room pair in back facing the stage.  The room mics will in that case not have delay problems or as much direct sound in them that will conflict with the main pair.  If the ambience from them is good, that lets me use more of it in the mix before it begins to conflict with the main pair.   The pair located in back may have the same amount of room ambience and audience reaction, but will also have a lot more direct sound from the stage sources and PA since they are pointing at the stage.

The division of information across sources like this to be mixed is often this 3-part one: SBD clarity, stage image and timbre, room ambience and audience.  My argument is that reducing conscientiously managing the degree of overlap between each of those things is helpful if and when your plan is to mix them together.  However, if your primary intent is recording redundancy to make sure at least one source is good on it’s own, that’s no longer the best choice. 

Both choices are valid.  One give better redundancy in case something goes wrong, the other give better mixing options in case everything goes right.

In this case the mic’ing provides more redundancy than different information optimization, and you could decide to leverage that for reducing unwanted crowd noises by changing the balance between the stage-lip and back of room pair. 

If you wanted to mic this from the same locations, but shift the emphasis from  recording redundancy to the different information thing. You could put the hypers at stage-lip to better isolate the direct stage sound from the audience and room, and put the omnis in back for more room and audience and less direct sound.  Neither may be better on it's own (may be worse) but the combination is likely provide more mixing flexibility.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:09:34 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 04:28:17 PM »
But typically, unless we are really in control with a pretty strong concept of what we want to do including the mixing, it's more likely that we don't have a bunch of channels well placed and oriented with the primary idea of mixing together.  Far more often we have mutiple pairs of mics arranged as individual stereo pairs each set to do the best they can on their own.   They may be all our own mics, ours and others, whatever.   Mixing those is more difficult and there will be times when it makes the most sense to not mix but simpley choose between them.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com