Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Torrent Client Software Question  (Read 2719 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Torrent Client Software Question
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:07:10 PM »
Basic torrent question here.

I've used bittornado to seed my recordings forever, but it's really basic so I spent some time today trying to find another.  I tried bitcomet, trixati, and bittorrent, but I can't figure out how to point to a seed that's on my harddrive.  When I load the torrent file into these clients, all of these software's seem to assume that you've downloaded the torrent from another site and the default seems to be that you want to download from somewhere else.  In other words, when I open my torrent, which I've created using traderslittlehelper, the torrent client will build a new shell and then go out to the net to start looking for seeds.  How do I direct the client to the subdirectory where my files are so that I can start seeding it out to others?

Offline Crumbo

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Torrent Client Software Question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 06:06:50 PM »
try utorrent or deluge
Mics: AKG ck63
Cables: nBob actives
Preamp: nbox platinum II
Recorders:  Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-05

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:12:56 PM »
How do I direct the client to the subdirectory where my files are so that I can start seeding it out to others?

Let it build the shell, note the location, pause the torrent, delete the shell, and replace it with the actual files. Now force recheck.

try utorrent or deluge

+1
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »
try utorrent or deluge

not familiar with deluge but if you try utorrent (my windows client, transmission in linux) make sure you use an older version (I recommend 2.2.1) to avoid the recent releases bundling toolbars etc

stevetoney

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 09:16:55 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I got utorrent to work for me. 

Yeah as far as bundling goes, a helpful hint is that you really need to read the fine print because the software designers will try and trick you every way possible to try to get you to install their stuff on your machine. 

stevetoney

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 09:18:59 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I got utorrent to work for me. 

Yeah as far as bundling goes, a helpful hint is that you really need to read the fine print  and pay attention to click the right buttons when you're going through your installation because the software designers will try and trick you every way possible to try to get you to install their bundled software on your machine. 

stevetoney

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:26:31 PM »
How do I direct the client to the subdirectory where my files are so that I can start seeding it out to others?

Let it build the shell, note the location, pause the torrent, delete the shell, and replace it with the actual files. Now force recheck.

That makes sense.  Thanks Page.  With bittornado, you point to a subdirectory that already had the files from which the torrent was built and the torrent started seeding, so I assumed that's how they all worked.  That's what was hanging me up because I couldn't figure out how to make the other programs point to the old location.  Not sure if they do or not, but your suggestion above clearly is what I wasn't doing.  Thanks again.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com