Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SFF desktop JRiver Music Server (need Soundcard recommendation)  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Putting together a small form factor desktop for music and archive. I was looking to go the NAS route but disliked the playback application options. Then found JRiver and decided to just go from a Small Form Factor Desktop (Dell Optiplex 790 i3 8gb Ram) out via optical to my Yamaha AV amp. Control of JRiver playback via wireless (cellphone, iPad, etc.) & all my normal remotes for volume. External USB3 drive(s) that will also be local backup for my live recordings (eventually I'll get two of the same drives).

Software - JRiver
Playback of all the music file formats, multiple platforms for remote control of playback (controls desktop application) AND GAPLESS

Storage - 5TB USB3 Drive
REQUIRES Purchase of PCI USB3 BOARD

Output of stream via SPDIF Optical (30ft cable to AV AMP)
REQUIRES Purchase of PCI Soundcard with Optical

Do I need anything special for a SPDIF Optical Soundcard? I see lots of variation from $20 to $500 in price. Is it not just transferring the music data to a optical output? All the magic will happen in the Yamaha AV DAC.

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • lost cause
Re: SFF desktop JRiver Music Server (need Soundcard recommendation)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 09:04:02 PM »
you could probably find a sff motherboard with onboard sound that will fit your needs.
Been a while since I looked so I don't know whats available.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 06:52:21 PM »
I use a Musical Fidelity V-Link II and I also have the original V-Link. It's a USB to SPDIF converter. The set up is PC USB out>USB in V-Link II SPDIF out>DAC. It has optical out as well. The V-Link series are discontinued, but they come up on eBay pretty often. There are three V-Links up now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Musical-Fidelity-V-Link-USB-S-PDIF-24-96kHz-converter-/231864066716?hash=item35fc2ce29c:g:mkQAAOSw~OVW0P3M

MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »
I think I've settled on the ASUS Xonar DGX PCI-E GX2.5 Audio Engine Sound Card...meets my SFF computer spec of PCIe, Low Profile and has optical output.

There is about a 25ft run to the amp...for noise and signal I just feel that optical is the way to go. This is a "Gamer" Sound card, but, the ASUS Entertainment & Hi Fi lines do not have Optical.

LINK

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com