Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Chromecast Audio + Foobar2000 = Budget whole house lossless audio  (Read 27140 times)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Had a co-worker turn me on to the Chromecast Audio. Retails for $35, dropped to $25 on Black Friday.

As sold, they are highly useful to cast Google Play/Spotify/I Heart Radio to your speakers.
Recent updates have added Zones where you can group multiple Chromecast Audios to have synced playback. Outputs are 1/8 analog and MiniToslink.

Streaming from Google Play is 320MP3 if the source is lossless, and I was thinking. Can I do better?

Did a bit of poking around and found out how to cast from Foobar2000. The glue between Foobar and the Chromecast is BubbleUPnP server. (https://archive.org/details/acb2016-11-28). Note: During installation it will check for Java on your computer, if it's not there it says it will download and launch the Java installer. It fails at this. Instead, a manual download and install of the Java Runtime Environment may be needed. (https://www.java.com/en/download/)

After installation, run the configuration and go to the Media Renderers tab. Each Chromecast Audio and each Group's name will appear on the left. On the right check the Create a DLNA renderer for each unit/group you want to be able to cast to.

Next download the foo_out_upnp component (http://www.foobar2000.org/getcomponent/fb6fd9e7273f51c855e794a7ad53a794/9c6b41c3fc76ed991bc987c385a93b46/UPnP-Output.fb2k-component)
Then in Foobar go File/Preferences select Components then install the upnp component with Foobar's install command.

Then in preferences, select output and from the dropdown pick the device/group you wish to cast to.

Lossless/Gapless PCM connection to your speakers anywhere in the house via wifi. :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:27:52 PM by ScoobieKW »
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Chromecast Audio + Foobar2000 = Budget whole house lossless audio
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 02:19:07 AM »
I don't do much critical listening throughout the house these days -- typically headphones only.  But I do have Chromecast and BubbleUPnP set up to stream my entire music collection throughout the house.  Great to know I can go lossless via Foobar if and when I want to do so.  Thanks, Scoobie!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 12:11:21 PM »
I too use Google Chromecast Audio with BubbleUPnP server on a Mac
with JRiver Media Center to stream anywhere in my house.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 04:50:46 AM »
I love my Chromecast audio but I can’t get it to work gapless from my iPhone. has anybody mastered this? I have the M connect app which can read all kind of stuff but the gap is doesn’t seem to work with the chromecast. Foobar can play the tracks gapless but ios version can’t connect to Chromecast I don’t think
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.204 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com