Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best sounding DAP for under $400?  (Read 3840 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Best sounding DAP for under $400?
« on: October 13, 2018, 12:45:29 PM »
I don't have my pc connected to my stereo, so other than an occasional CD my playback "deck" is either a fiio X1 2nd gen and an X3 first gen. I like them but I can't help thinking that these are fine for portable use, but I ought to step it up for home use if there's really anything  in my price range that sounds better than the fiio boxes. Not interested in anything but the sound, don't care about features at all. Looking for a very detailed soundstage but a hint of warmth.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:00:59 PM by MakersMarc »
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
Re: Best sounding DAP for under $400?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 05:32:46 PM »
Excellent question for me to throw on the Mike Grace list.

I've been toying with putting an Onkyo DP-X1A on a "Bible stand" as a center piece player.
Network audio is really decentralizing the concept, however.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »
I don't have my pc connected to my stereo, so other than an occasional CD my playback "deck" is either a fiio X1 2nd gen and an X3 first gen. I like them but I can't help thinking that these are fine for portable use, but I ought to step it up for home use if there's really anything  in my price range that sounds better than the fiio boxes. Not interested in anything but the sound, don't care about features at all. Looking for a very detailed soundstage but a hint of warmth.

Thanks!

Are you looking to connect your PC or ...

Im very happy with the new Massdrop Grace. For PC > Stereo cant get any easier. USB > RCA thats it.

It was 80$ hard to go wrong really.

Or maybe a nice Headphone pre-am / dac combo. I was using a Audio-GD Fun until just recently

http://www.audio-gd.com/pro/Headphoneamp/FUN/FUNCH.htm

They make some cool stuff. I bought from them years ago and was smooth transaction etc

I think they have many reviews on the various headphones sites

But ultimately the DAC in the Fiios are pretty damn good so maybe just plug right in to a nice pre>AMP>FACE
(I was running fiio x1 >stereo mini > Little Bear Tube Pre > Outlaw Audio 2200 mono blocks >VR2s)

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 06:00:43 PM »
Not a headphone guy this would connect directly to my 40 year old Nikko receiver and B&W v202s.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com