Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD500 - fuse/powering question  (Read 1831 times)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ***Team Schoeps***
AD500 - fuse/powering question
« on: August 29, 2005, 05:39:12 PM »
So up until last week, my AD500 was working perfectly.  I got motivated to DIY and I built an XLR > SLA cable to power the AD500.

Sure enough, it didn't work, I wired the XLR wrong and the AD500 won't turn on.  Now I realized that I must have just blown the internal fuse, so i figure why not try it myself since Apogee ain't gonna help here.

the box was nice and purdy, inside!  no dust, or grime.

anyways, i removed the F2A/250V fuse and headed to ratshack.  the guys there sold me replacement fuses and i went on my way.
get home to replace them and realized that the fuses that were sold to me were 2A/250v (notice the missing "F").

i replaced the fuse two more times, each time blowing it, with an old (read > more reliable power source) XLR > SLA cable.
here is a picture of the insides/guts:

The REAL Question:  Do I need to find the fuse with the "F" in front of the 2A/250v, or could there be something else at play here?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 05:41:35 PM by todd e »

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: AD500 - fuse/powering question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 08:08:56 PM »
todd;

somesing else.  (reconize the sts9 reference) :)

i believe "F" would stand for "fast blow". you got fast blow fuses from RS unless the package specify "slow blow".

i would double check the 15pin Dsub connections. open up the Dsub hood and make sure you don't see stray contacts.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 08:04:59 AM »
todd;

i believe "F" would stand for "fast blow". you got fast blow fuses from RS unless the package specify "slow blow".

i would double check the 15pin Dsub connections. open up the Dsub hood and make sure you don't see stray contacts.

marc

thanks marc!  i am trying to clarify your suggestion.  the 15pin dsub (is that the male or female part of the 15pin)?

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 02:52:27 PM »
todd;

marc

thanks marc!  i am trying to clarify your suggestion.  the 15pin dsub (is that the male or female part of the 15pin)?

todd;

the female part. the one that connects to the ad500.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 03:26:57 PM »
todd;

marc

todd;

the female part. the one that connects to the ad500.

marc

that's the thing, i have a handful of these and they all work well with my ad1000 (except one and i've gotten rid of that one).  so now i'm wondering if i fried something else in the ad500, beyond the fuse or maybe even before the fuse.  i'll check, to be doubly sure, but i haven't evne opened that part since i started this project.

thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com