Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT 4051 vs Peluso CEMC6  (Read 4333 times)

Offline moricle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Moricle on Archive.org
AT 4051 vs Peluso CEMC6
« on: July 28, 2016, 11:50:04 AM »
I am looking to upgrade my rig soon.  I run a pair of Rode M5s > Tascam DR-60D typically.  I have been specifically looking into the Audio Technica 4051 with cardioid caps and the Peluso CEMC6 cardioid mics.  I have been listening to recordings from both microphones, and the AT 4051s have a cleaner sound, in my opinion.  Plus the AT4051s have removable caps, meaning I could eventually get some Omni Hyper caps.

I am curious if others have an opinion on which set I should pick up.

Also, I understand that either set would sound better if I got a preamp to provide P48, separately from my DR-60D.  I've been suggested to look into a SD-MP2 (available in the YS right now) or an Aerco MP-2.  Currently I can't afford the microphones AND a preamp.  So my other more pressing question is:  if I pick up the AT4051s or Peluso CEMC6s will they work well with my Tascam DR-60D?  I want to make an informed purchase, and would love some opinions.

Thanks!
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@moricle
Mics: Rode M5 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, CA-14 Cards
Decks: Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL
Lineage: SD > Audacity (amplify/normalize) > FLAC

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: AT 4051 vs Peluso CEMC6
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 12:11:20 PM »
No need for an external preamp.  You can mess around with one later to find out if you prefer the sound of using various different preamps or not, weighed against the complications of having to carry and power an extra piece of gear and the potential failure points of the additional cable connections.  Different preamps do sound different, but not nearly as different as different mics in most cases.  I'd not worry about that angle for now.

Either pair of mics will work fine powered directly by your DR-60D.  As for which pair to choose, both are quality mics and and can be used to make good recordings.  A choice determined by the differences in their sound is a highly personal decision no one else can really make for you.

I prefer the ATs but that's simply my preference. They sound smoother/cleaner up top to me and I've found recordings made with them are easier for me to manipulate with EQ so that I can dial in the sound to something closer to what I really want.  For me that kind of "EQ-ability" is more important than the actual "raw/native" sound of a mic, but many if not most users around here choose mics by selecting whichever pair within their budget has a "native sound" which is closest to what they want without any further manipulation.  That's an equally viable approach.  Mostly depends on how you work and what you are ultimately satisfied with.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 12:13:36 PM »
I've never ran the Peluso's, but I run AT4041's > DR-60 and have been quite pleased with the results.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:45:33 PM »
Plus the AT4051s have removable caps, meaning I could eventually get some Omni Hyper caps.

Unless I'm missing something the CEMC6 also have removable capsules. From SoundPure website:

Our favorite affordable pair of SDCs for 10 years running! This quality SDC set from John Peluso offers an impressive display of warmth and detail at a very friendly price point. The "Loaded" Kit includes your choice of two additional capsule pairs for even more recording versatility (Omni, Hyper-cardioid, and Wide-cardioid available, in addition to the standard cardioid capsules included).

ETA: There is a set of CEMC6 in the yard sale with card and omni caps for $425 http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178605.0
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:47:32 PM by hoppedup »
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline moricle

• Taperssection Regular
    • Moricle on Archive.org
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 01:48:47 PM »
Plus the AT4051s have removable caps, meaning I could eventually get some Omni Hyper caps.

Unless I'm missing something the CEMC6 also have removable capsules. From SoundPure website:

Our favorite affordable pair of SDCs for 10 years running! This quality SDC set from John Peluso offers an impressive display of warmth and detail at a very friendly price point. The "Loaded" Kit includes your choice of two additional capsule pairs for even more recording versatility (Omni, Hyper-cardioid, and Wide-cardioid available, in addition to the standard cardioid capsules included).

ETA: There is a set of CEMC6 in the yard sale with card and omni caps for $425 http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178605.0

Those are the ones I'm considering!  Or these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIO-TECHNICA-AT4051-MICROPHONEs-in-Case-PAIR-/272268415584?hash=item3f64765260%3Ag%3AeFEAAOSwnFZXWIaN
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 02:08:22 PM by moricle »

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 02:03:17 PM »
No need for an external preamp.  You can mess around with one later to find out if you prefer the sound of using various different preamps or not, weighed against the complications of having to carry and power an extra piece of gear and the potential failure points of the additional cable connections.  Different preamps do sound different, but not nearly as different as different mics in most cases.  I'd not worry about that angle for now.

This. I don't run a pre in front of my DR-60D. I ran a loaner V2 a few times and found I preferred the sound without it for the Milab VM-44s and AKG 391s i owned at the time. YMMV
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 06:22:05 PM »

This. I don't run a pre in front of my DR-60D. I ran a loaner V2 a few times and found I preferred the sound without it for the Milab VM-44s and AKG 391s i owned at the time. YMMV

I'm in agreement with both GB and hoppedup.  The preamps on the DR-60D will be good for just about any microphone you can throw at 'em.  I've run Milab VM-44s, AKG 414s and a few different Audio-Technica mics in front of the DR-60D and have been pretty happy with it. 

As for AT vs. Peluso, I've heard plenty of great pulls with both brands and they're both very solid mics.  It ultimately comes down to what YOU like.  Chris Davis, who commented in the Peluso sale thread that's linked in this thread, has made a lot of recordings with his sets of CEMC6s.  Check out the links in his signature for a ton of samples to listen to. 

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 09:25:20 PM »
Which 4051 do you have?  There are three versions in its history:  4051 (original), 4051a (revision #1), and 4051b (revision #2).  All sound different to the naked ear.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Audio-Technica/AT4051b

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 10:03:41 PM »
I have a high quality preamp but I hardly ever take it out anymore. The 60d preamps are fine for just about everything I do.

Get the Pelusos and order a set of subcard caps for them. You will not be sorry.
The CEMC6 with the cardioid capsules have a real laid back Neumann sound. Good bass response, relaxed mids, some air in the top. I would say they are on par with the Neumann 184 but half the price.
The subcard capsules are the bomb. The perfect combination of warm and crisp. Up close and outdoors you can't go wrong with them.

The AT 4051b have a mid and high end sizzle that I find fatiguing after a while.

I went from Studio Projects C4s (about the same as the Rode M5) > UA5 to Pelusos> V3...no looking back.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 10:46:50 PM »
Which 4051 do you have?  There are three versions in its history:  4051 (original), 4051a (revision #1), and 4051b (revision #2).  All sound different to the naked ear.

Looks like the version the OP is considering is the original version - 4051. 
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline moricle

• Taperssection Regular
    • Moricle on Archive.org
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 10:38:51 AM »

Looks like the version the OP is considering is the original version - 4051.

I spoke to the seller on ebay about the AT 4051s.  This is what they said:

"After looking closely, we believe that they are probably not a match pair since the numbers inside the capsule differ.
The capsules are removable but all photos that we found on the web seemed to have the writing 4051b on them, but ours do not. our capsules say "AT4051" "Japan" on the capsule. also the body of the mic does not have the number "10" PAD Switch.

They are Cardioid mics and they were retested again today and work great requiring phantom power."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com