Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Building first cable...HELP!  (Read 7072 times)

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Building first cable...HELP!
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:19:46 AM »
So I've decided that I'd like to try and build a cable that's really a necessity for my rig.  I need a 3.5mm stereo male to feed out to dual 1/4" TRS males that's wired:

"...taking unbalanced preamp common ground wired to TRS (-minus) ring
connections, sending EACH channel's +hot signal to TRS tips, and leaves the common TRS sleeve cable ground shield connections UNCONNECTED, preferably near the preamplifier output jacks."

I'm not sure at this point what kind of cable I will need, assuming that I'll need a dual channel cable for the 1/4" ends...will the same cable be soldered into the 3.5mm plug or will I need another cable?

As I have never attempted to build a cable, not sure if I'm not better off just purchasing one already made.  $40 seems over priced and is the only option I've found. seems like a great price but contemplating the joy and convenience of DIY.  ;D

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:52:57 PM by taperwheeler »
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Building first cable...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:38:58 AM »
how long?
i have found that its usually best to just buy one from one of the guys here then try and make 1 or 2 cables
the savings on a small amount of stuff isn't that good imo
top it off with if you mess up
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:08:30 AM »
Start here. 
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=14227.0

But as others have said unless your gonna make up a few its prolly not going to save ya much money after you buy all the shrink wrap and cable and solder and tech flex if ya go that route.  I would suggest getting in touch with Ed over http://www.kindkables.com/catalog/default.php

AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:16:29 AM »
how long?
i have found that its usually best to just buy one from one of the guys here then try and make 1 or 2 cables

good advice, but on the flip side, you gotta start somewhere.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »
how long?

good advice, but on the flip side, you gotta start somewhere.

I agree.  Trying, succeeding or screwing up is how you learn so that next time you want to make a cable you have the experience and practice from the one before.  I have done a little bit of modding/cabling myself and enjoy using stuff that I have built.  It's like fixing your car, feels good to do it yourself.

I dug through the DIY Cable thread and found this diagram, exactly what you are looking for if I am reading the requirements of your cable.

http://www.montarbo.com/pdf/connettori.pdf
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »
don't get me wrong
i say go for it

i was just pointing out cost wise you might not be ahead of the "$40 overpriced one"
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »
I guess the $40 overpriced one is mine.
In defense of the price, it is made from top quality canare or belden cable, has gold connectors, is techflexed, price includes shipping and is guaranteed for life. plus they are made by a taper for tapers.
just had to throw my 2 cent worth into the mix.
happy taping
ed
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 03:05:39 PM »
In defense of the price, it is made from top quality canare or belden cable, has gold connectors, is techflexed, price includes shipping and is guaranteed for life. plus they are made by a taper for tapers.
happy taping
ed

I also gave a price that was close to what ed gave, I think if you ask around you will find that 35-40 bucks is what you are going to pay for a quality built cable like that and it will probably run you close to 30.00 to put your own together after ordering parts from a couple place and paying shipping but it is fun to build it yourself sometimes, so have at it

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »
happy taping
ed

I also gave a price that was close to what ed gave, I think if you ask around you will find that 35-40 bucks is what you are going to pay for a quality built cable like that and it will probably run you close to 30.00 to put your own together after ordering parts from a couple place and paying shipping but it is fun to build it yourself sometimes, so have at it

$40 is not overpriced.....

GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 04:41:54 PM »
I think we have a case of "sticker shock" here.  From his signature it looks like all his other cables are standard which you could buy locally at a variety of prices including cheap.
FOR SALE - Check HERE

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »
So I've decided that I'd like to try and build a cable that's really a necessity for my rig.  I need a 3.5mm stereo male to feed out to dual 1/4" TRS males that's wired:

"...taking unbalanced preamp common ground wired to TRS (-minus) ring
connections, sending EACH channel's +hot signal to TRS tips, and leaves the common TRS sleeve cable ground shield connections UNCONNECTED, preferably near the preamplifier output jacks."

I'm not sure at this point what kind of cable I will need, assuming that I'll need a dual channel cable for the 1/4" ends...will the same cable be soldered into the 3.5mm plug or will I need another cable?

As I have never attempted to build a cable, not sure if I'm not better off just purchasing one already made.  $40 seems over priced and is the only option I've found.

you can do the same thing buy using a mono 1/4 jack to your 3.5 mm that will short the ring to ground to "unbalance" your input.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline jacobmyers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 12:52:08 AM »
Someone else mentioned this but I'll add my two cents: If your only impetus for DIY is to save money on one cable, just pony up the $40 and pay someone else to build the cable. I'm definitely not trying to discourage you from building your own. But if you're trying to save money, forget about it. DIY is expensive.

Sure; you might "save" $10 on one cable by assembling it for yourself. But you'll spend $35 on tools (many of which you'll be able to use indefinitely) before you can build it. And that's my estimate for "bottom-of-the-barrel" tools from a discount supplier (and the bare minimum of tools that you'll need to get the job done starting from scratch). My point is that (until you have a decent tool collection) the savings of "just paying for materials" are offset by the amount of money you'll spend on the tools you'll need.

But, because I believe that absolutely everyone should know how to solder, I encourage you to DIY. But don't do it because you think you'll save money (because you won't -- at least not at first). Cheers!

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 03:51:23 PM »
After reading thru the many replies, just want to clarify a few things. 

I wasn't intending on knocking anyone's price for their cables.  I have not, as the posting indicated, ever ventured into DIY cabling.  I have not ordered any specialty cables due to lack of need and have used cables that came with the gear I've purchased in the past.  I'm sorry if I offended either of you guys for your pricings.  I should have omitted the latter part of my posting.  Truly sorry guys...and no, not over priced at all.  The point in my post was to get a feel for whether-or-not it would be worthwhile to venture into it.  Sorry...

In regards to rsimms3 comment, I'm not sure what you've ascertained from my signature thread in regards to the cables I use.  Assuming from the fact that I did not list my cables in my thread that I use "standard" cables.  Just FYI, I use Mogami Gold mic cables and Hosa spdif's...commercially made (guess that makes them standard) but have been reliable.  As the needs arise, by all means would prefer buying from fellow tapers (or making myself?).

As always, thanks for everyone's input and sorry if I insulted anyone. 
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 04:04:03 PM »
I would go DIY for the experience and not to try to save some $$$ but I guess that is the type of person I am. It makes a great learning experience in case one of your cables ever gets damaged you will know how to fix it. Just another thing to post on your resume ;)
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline rsimms3

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »

In regards to rsimms3 comment, I'm not sure what you've ascertained from my signature thread in regards to the cables I use.  Assuming from the fact that I did not list my cables in my thread that I use "standard" cables.  Just FYI, I use Mogami Gold mic cables and Hosa spdif's...commercially made (guess that makes them standard) but have been reliable.  As the needs arise, by all means would prefer buying from fellow tapers (or making myself?).

That was exactly what I was saying, it didn't appear you had anything that couldn't be had locally at say Guitar Center.  If you were running something that might require say a mini-XLR you probably would have needed to seek out an online retailer or a specialty supplier.  I never assumed that the actual cables you were using were high, medium, or low quality. 

I think DIY is great, that's how I roll because I have the iron and other tools for it. If you don't, then buying from the board here is great.  I didn't want to fool with making some 17' XLRs so I bought from Ed, but when it came to making mini-XLR cables I did it myself with some connectors and Belden 1804a. 
FOR SALE - Check HERE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com