Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: assigning conductors using star-quad cable for stereo  (Read 4434 times)

Offline dlh

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
assigning conductors using star-quad cable for stereo
« on: May 16, 2010, 05:17:50 PM »
I'm going to make up long runs for stereo mics using standard (not stereo) Star-quad.
I don't know the twist pattern of the conductors, or even if it matters.
I was planning on using 1 blue and 1 white for each channel.  I just wondered if the twist pattern of the conductors might affect crosstalk.
I'm probably getting WAY too obsessive; just thought I'd pick a few brains. ;D

Thanks,
Dave
480b, 460b, Line Audio CM3, SP LSD2, AT BP4025, SP C4,
MiniMe, MiniMP, AND ANNOUNCING the recent adoption of a Mini-Dac. The little bro's are SO excited  :yahoo:

DR-680, DR-100 MKII, PMD671, fr2LE, MTII

De gustibus non est disputandum.
"It's just this little chromium switch here.  You people are soo superstitious."

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: assigning conductors using star-quad cable for stereo
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »
I'm going to make up long runs for stereo mics using standard (not stereo) Star-quad.
I don't know the twist pattern of the conductors, or even if it matters.
I was planning on using 1 blue and 1 white for each channel.  I just wondered if the twist pattern of the conductors might affect crosstalk.
I'm probably getting WAY too obsessive; just thought I'd pick a few brains. ;D

Thanks,
Dave

Not my first choice for stereo cables.. This is...Mogami W2528 http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/product_view.cgi?products_id=6393
You can use starquad But you are better off with the cable above if you have to make Y connections. If you dont you can use Star quad. Use one set color for one side and the other color for the other side.

You can also use two separate cables with a techflex jacket if you want it to look slick.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: assigning conductors using star-quad cable for stereo
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 06:43:07 PM »
For short run 25' I use a single standard Canare Starquad cable (L-4E6S) wired 5 pin to 5 pin and break it out at the recorder. 

Here are the pin conventions I used.  Be sure to use a meter or continuity tester of some sort so you don't mix up your blue-white pairs and use one pair for each channel.

1 - shield
                    2 - blue
                    3 - white
                    4 - blue
                    5 - white

You can use smaller Starquad Canare (L-4E5AT) for the Y-breakout, two of these cables will fit into a Neutrik NC*FX connector.

For longer runs though I use a break out at the mic and then run 2 separate Canare Starquad (L-4E6S) cables to the recorder.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com