Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which mobile recorder? M10, H6, or R05?  (Read 30509 times)

Offline Argitoth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Which mobile recorder? M10, H6, or R05?
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2015, 03:22:45 PM »
Am I taperssectioning right?

mics on a stick

put it at 90 degree xy pattern because I'll be recording misc sounds for a game, and want a little bit of stereo, but mono compatible.
I might buy another stick and build a 120 degree version.

superglue + serrrated edged kitchen knife + $1 wooden dowel from Ace Hardware
i could reinforce it with sugru as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 03:29:15 PM by Argitoth »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2015, 04:17:10 PM »
Mmmm, mics on a stick, looks like you already took a bite.  Might pull the marshmallows out of the fire before they turn black 'though.

Cool that you point the arrow at what you want to record.

Even for that application, you might go ahead and try using a near-spaced configuration, like 7" apart at 110 degrees or whatever instead of X/Y for a lot of things. Especially for anything meant to sound big, or consists of several different sources, or any environmental location or background type sounds.  It will sound better and more convincing in stereo, and it's easy enough to check to see what it sounds like in mono.  It's only "not mono-compatible" if it sounds bad that way, and in my experience it will usually sound as good or better than the X/Y stuff in mono.  The other time it might be an issue if you are mixing lots of sounds together by having them play them simultaneously. 

Mono-compatibility is an over-rated concern in my opinion (even for stuff intended for mono playback) and probably only really matters for music anyway, not sound samples like you're making so much.

For small single sounds localized in one place, X/Y is fine, but mono is probably fine too, saves file space and conserves resources in your game.  Either of those will mix perfectly well with the bigger more-stereo sounds recorded using a near-spaced configuration.

Taperssection on..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2015, 05:47:18 PM »
you saying multiple 90 degree xy recordings (of small objects/single-location) are not-as-good when played together?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:52:36 PM by Argitoth »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2015, 09:06:04 PM »
No, those things work well combined that way.  A coincident setup like X/Y can be good for that.  But mono would probably be fine for that stuff too. 

The elements which will benefit the most from a near spaced mic configuration instead of a coincident one are things like location ambiances, background sounds, sonic wash stuff, big explosions, musical accompaniment, things with movement to them, stuff like that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »
Ok, just want to get all the information clearly!

I also have a pair of omni mics that will work well for ambiance. I'll have to make a few more "sticks" so I can try 120 degree and near-coincident.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2015, 03:34:52 PM »
With omnis for stereo, you'll either want to use a baffle between the two if you are using them at typical coincident spacings, or space them apart a good bit more- probably something like 2 feet up to few feet more than that.

Offline Argitoth

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2015, 02:04:23 PM »
Found this at True Value, a flexable wire, gotta attach this to a new stick. Throwing away the old one! Cat broke it anyway.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 02:06:52 PM by Argitoth »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com