Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Should stealth discussion be conducted stealthily on ts.com?

I'm apathetic; I really don't care one way or the other.
29 (14.7%)
No, it's OK to discuss stealth taping on ts.com.
72 (36.5%)
Yes, stealth discussion should not be conducted publicly on ts.com.
35 (17.8%)
I'd prefer stealth conversation to be conducted stealthily, but I don't think it matters much
53 (26.9%)
I hate stealth taping/discussion altogether and wish there was a way for ts.com to ban it completely
8 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Author Topic: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?  (Read 39697 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »
At one point in my ts.com 'career' stealth discussion bothered me.  It doesn't anymore.  There are a few that continue to carry the banner. 

Not trying to change anyone's mind here, but just curious where the general ts.com population stands on the subject nowadays.

Offline Wiggler

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Poll: Should Stealth Discussion Be Stealth?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:09:45 AM »
The cat was out of the bag long ago. In five minutes anyone with google can find all they need to know.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »
The cat was out of the bag long ago. In five minutes anyone with google can find all they need to know.

this. Anyone who is mildly creative and goal oriented can figure it out on their own.

Now, I don't see much need in making it easier to find that info, but I won't go out of my way to scrub it out. Really, the disguise element is the only remaining question that info is sparse on.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 10:25:22 AM »

I think having a separate, and yet open, discussion forum would be useful in a couple of ways:  1. educate new tapers, 2. make a distinction b/w "true"  >:D (King Crimson) and lo-pro  >:D (Radiohead).  The first point is obvious.  The second point, we could encourage conversation geared towards bands that don't mind being taped, but don't have an open policy (again Radiohead)... 

YMMV...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:43:51 AM »
I voted for "I'd prefer it not be.."

I don't stealth much and I agree that the "cat is out of the bag" / "if you're not an idiot you can probably figure it out". BUT, I think there are valid reasons to keep it discrete and mostly over PM:

1. There are hardcore stealthers out there whose methods are a lot more advanced than the normal stuff we talk about doing (see, e.g., the crazy thread about the dude with the custom wig...).  I'd hate to see their techniques discussed in any detail. Also, stuff like the "brand of hat" while maybe out of the bag and all, certainly should be repeated less often than it is.

2. People who record openly and with permission want to keep a clear distinction between the two types of taping.  Having lots of open stealth discussion might wrongly give the impression that everyone here condones that activity or that that is all "taping" is about, which it isn't.  I personally have no problem with stealthing as long as it's non-commercial and there is at least some valid reason to do it (artists' lame management, venue rule, etc.).  But others feel more strongly about it, and I respect that.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:26:59 AM »
I have no hand in the race, don't stealth and am new to the board so not sure what the old guard thinks of my opinion, but I will just say that when I googled "stealth recording," "stealth recording techniques," "bootleg recording," "bootleg recording techniques," TS didn't get any hits on my front page, even though google filters towards individual's search preferences and I'm on TS a lot.  Seems like venues/security would have to know TS prior and browse it purposefully than just stumbling on it through a google search.

That said, and since I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other, I'm for majority opinion.  Keep it active but on the down low.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 11:30:41 AM »
Seems like venues/security would have to know TS prior and browse it purposefully than just stumbling on it through a google search.

Them dudes only have to find ts.com once........they'll be back, telling their "friends"... >:(
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 11:54:12 AM »
Seems like venues/security would have to know TS prior and browse it purposefully than just stumbling on it through a google search.

Them dudes only have to find ts.com once........they'll be back, telling their "friends"... >:(

Except in spite of a stealthers paranoia, in the US, IMHO there's really no universal conspiracy out there against stealth tapers.  The only IMO thing that's universal is that they're against people sneaking their own booze into the venue. 

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:17:54 PM »
The cat is not out of the bag.

Why make a forum available that quickly becomes a detailed FAQ for someone who wants to put a stop to the practice? Unless the goal is to make the techniques so well known that they are no longer effective.

Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
I don't see much purpose of discussing it beyond bragging. If you have an awesome technique, good for you. Hope you get good results. If you can't resist tooting your own horn, I think it is a good idea to use code such as the  >:D symbol to keep the discussion off of Google. I don't know why the topic has to come up every so often- what has changed? And how about a "miscategorized"?
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
Devils advocate to most of the comments being made here.  If you use good stealth technique, even if it's discussed here, nobody at the venue should know you're taping so what's the big deal if it's discussed?  Even if they suspect you're taping, you can't be strip searched, so...

Personally, I don't think not discussing it lessons the fact that people are using ts.com to figure out how to stealth.  Either you're doing it or you're not...pretending you're not doesn't mean you're not.  It also doesn't mean that you're fooling anyone about it just because you don't talk about it overtly.  It only takes someone slightly over idiot level to figure out that  >:D is code for the word 'stealth'.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:49:22 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
Devils advocate to most of the comments being made here.  If you use good stealth technique, even if it's discussed here, nobody at the venue should know you're taping so what's the big deal if it's discussed?  Even if they suspect you're taping, you can't be strip searched, so...

Personally, I don't think not discussing it lessons the fact that people are using ts.com to figure out how to stealth.  Either you're doing it or you're not...pretending you're not doesn't mean you're not.  It also doesn't mean that you're fooling anyone about it just because you don't talk about it overtly.  It only takes someone slightly over idiot level to figure out that  >:D is code for the word 'stealth'.

The only constant is that you, someone who I recall does not do it, continues to want to push the subject as a topic of discussion on the site.  You have no skin in the game.

If this stuff is all so obvious, we don't need to keep bringing it up, right?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 01:20:44 PM »
  >:D is code for the word 'stealth'.

Wha?!
There go the keys to the kingdom!

The status quo on this here seems relatively well balanced, everyone plays their roll and the Hoff shows up, appropriately, when the line gets crossed.

A few applicable maxims?
Low hanging fruit gets picked first. 
Don't piss upstream from the camp kitchen.
Seek and ye shall find.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 01:25:05 PM »
I'd prefer stealth conversation to be conducted stealthily, but I don't think it matters much

You really should have left off everything after the comma or included the following option:
I'd prefer stealth conversation to be conducted stealthily, and I think it matters a great deal.

If you want a valid poll you need to quit injecting your opinion in the questions. That is one of my pet peeves about the professional pollsters questions, they skew the results by adding qualifications to their questions which will inevitably sway the results they get towards the answers the sponsors of the polls want.

I did vote - how aint' nobody's business but my own.

stevetoney

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 01:33:42 PM »
You have no skin in the game.

Ahem...look at my signature line.   ::)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com