Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Newbie - needs quick advice!  (Read 6002 times)

Offline BG4444

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Newbie - needs quick advice!
« on: July 01, 2013, 03:21:16 PM »
I have a show to bootleg this weekend, and I am totally new at recording. I was referred to this site from the bands message board, where I was told:

"Pick up a recorder like the Tascam DR-05 - it's under $80 at Amazon. This recorder has built in mics, but I would definitely recommend getting some external mics along with a battery box/pre-amp."

I posted in this section of the forum because it looks like I need a recorder, external mics, and a battery box/ pre amp.

Would anyone here be able to give me quick advice on what items to purchase, and if I can pick them up at a store such a best buy, guitar world, or some place like that...I was wondering if I would be able to use the equipment to record a show and return it to the store the next day.

I see you have some guides for newbies but unfortunately I do not have much time!

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Newbie - needs quick advice!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »
I would buy these and a Sony PCM-m10 recorder

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=162535.0
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 04:13:16 PM »
^ Yeah I'm trying to sell those if you are interested in omnis. They sound really good if the sound is good, if you dig around you can find some samples. If the show is this weekend please let me know ASAP if it's something you might be interested in.

I don't know of anywhere you can buy equipment and return it the next day but it's worth a try. I'd be glad to sell you the CAFs but if you only need if for one day you might consider borrowing from someone.
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 07:14:57 PM »
I have a show to bootleg this weekend, and I am totally new at recording. I was referred to this site from the bands message board, where I was told:

"Pick up a recorder like the Tascam DR-05 - it's under $80 at Amazon. This recorder has built in mics, but I would definitely recommend getting some external mics along with a battery box/pre-amp."

I posted in this section of the forum because it looks like I need a recorder, external mics, and a battery box/ pre amp.

Would anyone here be able to give me quick advice on what items to purchase, and if I can pick them up at a store such a best buy, guitar world, or some place like that...I was wondering if I would be able to use the equipment to record a show and return it to the store the next day.

I see you have some guides for newbies but unfortunately I do not have much time!

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

You got it... keep reading though.  Also please do not use the term bootleg... many folks around here are a tad sensitive to that term.  Bootleg has a negative connotation to what we do.  A bootleg is usually something sold without permission or knowledge of the artist.  Start throwing the word bootleg around at a show and you are guaranteed to get bounced.  Concert recording, show, recording, concert taper are all acceptable.  Many of use consider the hobby a passion and look at ourselves as some form of archivist.  Bootleggers ruin for the rest of us.  Welcome to the hobby... hold onto your wallet your in for a ride.

Peace OOK

Yeah just reread your post.  move along.... nothing here for you to see.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:18:57 PM by OOK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Marshall7

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »
I was wondering if I would be able to use the equipment to record a show and return it to the store the next day.

Classy  ::)

Offline BG4444

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 09:00:58 PM »
I didn't realize that being passionate about spreading some music with a nice recording would be shunned around here if I wasn't rich...thanks to anyone who can help give some advice on what equipment to get and where to get it, and whether I could return it.

Offline Toke

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »
If you're just gonna return it, get a pair of Schoeps mk41s and a Sound Devices 744.  Most people here (myself included) are gonna think using equipment for one shot and returning it is a bit of a dick move, though.  If there's an event you would like to see recorded, you'll probably have better luck asking in Find a Taper section for someone to record.  On the other hand, this is a VERY addictive hobby, so jump in and build a decent starter rig, and keep it.  I have ~$1800 invested and pull some really decent stuff.  You could get by with a Sony m10 and some Church mics for $4-500.  Still a decent way to start. 

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 11:20:58 PM »
I didn't realize that being passionate about spreading some music with a nice recording would be shunned around here if I wasn't rich...thanks to anyone who can help give some advice on what equipment to get and where to get it, and whether I could return it.

Sharing nice recordings is always appreciated no matter how frugal/extravagant your rig is. What will get folks po'd has already been commented on (bootleg, expecting to use someone else's equipment for nothing while they take a loss - ie they can no longer sell it as new).

If this is for a one-shot recording and you have no intention of purchasing and keeping equipment ask someone else to record it for you or go to an equipment rental company/local musical instrument retailer and rent the equipment for a day.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 01:01:31 AM »

Sharing nice recordings is always appreciated no matter how frugal/extravagant your rig is. What will get folks po'd has already been commented on (bootleg, expecting to use someone else's equipment for nothing while they take a loss - ie they can no longer sell it as new).

If this is for a one-shot recording and you have no intention of purchasing and keeping equipment ask someone else to record it for you or go to an equipment rental company/local musical instrument retailer and rent the equipment for a day.

100% agreed. Well said ;) Take this mans advice!!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Marshall7

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »

Maybe you can buy a new shirt for the show and return it after as well.

cashandkerouac

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »

100% agreed. Well said ;) Take this mans advice!!!

another vote for the rental option.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
I will rent you a preamp and mics for $250 for the week + return shipping.

::)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2013, 07:34:27 PM »
Jack Ryan: I'm here to rent the Huey.
Helicopter owner: We don't rent it anymore, but it is for sale.
Jack Ryan: How much?
Helicopter owner: Two million dollars.
Jack Ryan: Uh, my pilot and I will have to take it for a test drive.
Helicopter owner: Of course, you just have to leave a deposit.
Jack Ryan: How much is that?
Jack Ryan: Umm...[Shows a CIA business card]Jack Ryan: Would you take a company check?
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 08:22:01 PM »
Jack Ryan: I'm here to rent the Huey.
Helicopter owner: We don't rent it anymore, but it is for sale.
Jack Ryan: How much?
Jack Ryan: Uh, my pilot and I will have to take it for a test drive.
Helicopter owner: Of course, you just have to leave a deposit.
Jack Ryan: How much is that?
Jack Ryan: Umm...[Shows a CIA business card]Jack Ryan: Would you take a company check?
Classic...
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Drifter1

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 01:27:49 PM »
I will rent you a preamp and mics for $250 for the week + return shipping.

::)

haha...to funny....that edirol hr u passed along to me last year is still working great Chris...thanks so much for the recorder not to mention all my other CA gear!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com