Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping in an amphitheatre - pick the spot  (Read 10477 times)

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Taping in an amphitheatre - pick the spot
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »
I suggest to lock this topic here and continue in the other.

As the thread owner, you can lock the topic - you don't need a moderator to do it for you.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 01:53:57 PM »
5 - best safe bet, I'd start there in case you cannot walk around to listen and then move your recording position.
3 - may be better but only listening can determine that.
2 - safe but less-involving, unexciting choice.

safe and unexciting (as it pertains to audience noise) sounds like a great choice on any night in any venue.  i would have gone with spot #2 as well.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
safe and unexciting (as it pertains to audience noise) sounds like a great choice on any night in any venue.  i would have gone with spot #2 as well.

Sometimes 'safe' and 'good enough' is valued more highly than 'riskier' but 'potentially great', and I have no problem at all with anyone making that choice.  If that's what you value most any night in any venue then that certainly makes the choices easier and I say more power to you!  I will also say that given my own motivations and values, the recordings I've made which I value most are the 'really great' ones often involving risky choices that paid off, which more often than not convey a tangible sense of audience excitement that is simply not present from a safer location back by the board or in the official taper section if there happens to be one.  But then I'm not a ‘getting the show recorded is most imporant' documentarian type.  I’m more of a ‘shoot for great or nothing’ recordist. It's conveying the magic and teleporting the listener that interests and motivates me to keep doing this and constantly working at getting better at it.  I'm quite glad we don't all value the same things.  It's a big diverse world and to each his own pleasures and rewards.  For what it's worth, your position is much closer to the majority on this and I'm in the minority, which is fine with me.

I haven't had a chance to listen to these samples yet and of course we cannot compare between the various locations since the recordings were only made in one of them.  But the point you raise really comes down to a few basic things: what you value most in your recordings, what risks you are willing to take, and what is achievable given the practical constraints and permissions and the degree of hardship you is willing to under go.  The correct answers are different for each one of us depending on perspective, capability, practicality and motivations..  and also the types of music we record and the venues we record in.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 04:55:11 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

cashandkerouac

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 05:55:39 PM »

Sometimes 'safe' and 'good enough' is valued more highly than 'riskier' but 'potentially great', and I have no problem at all with anyone making that choice.  If that's what you value most any night in any venue then that certainly makes the choices easier and I say more power to you!  I will also say that given my own motivations and values, the recordings I've made which I value most are the 'really great' ones often involving risky choices that paid off, which more often than not convey a tangible sense of audience excitement that is simply not present from a safer location back by the board or in the official taper section if there happens to be one.  But then I'm not a ‘getting the show recorded is most imporant' documentarian type.  I’m more of a ‘shoot for great or nothing’ recordist. It's conveying the magic and teleporting the listener that interests and motivates me to keep doing this and constantly working at getting better at it.  I'm quite glad we don't all value the same things.  It's a big diverse world and to each his own pleasures and rewards.  For what it's worth, your position is much closer to the majority on this and I'm in the minority, which is fine with me.

I haven't had a chance to listen to these samples yet and of course we cannot compare between the various locations since the recordings were only made in one of them.  But the point you raise really comes down to a few basic things: what you value most in your recordings, what risks you are willing to take, and what is achievable given the practical constraints and permissions and the degree of hardship you is willing to under go.  The correct answers are different for each one of us depending on perspective, capability, practicality and motivations..  and also the types of music we record and the venues we record in.

my use of the words "safe" and "unexciting" were borrowed from your previous post.  my apologies if i misinterpreted your post.  in my opinion option #2 was very exciting and not so safe at all.  option #2 was very close to a wide stage with PA speakers positioned to the far left and far right with little to no fill speakers in the middle.  i liked option #2 because it was the closest location to the band and put most of the audience behind the mics.  it was the relationship of the mics to the audience that made it the "safe" choice in my opinion, but this was not the safest place to get a great recording.       

i personally find the OTS to be an extremely boring place to record a show unless it's a very small venue (and if it's a small venue there usually isn't an OTS anyhow).  the OTS may be safe on some levels, but it's usually not the best location if you want to get the best possible recording.  i love it when i'm at an open taping show and the folks in the OTS are looking at me with this confused look on their face, wondering why i'm in that spot  ;D 

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »
my apologies if i misinterpreted your post. 

No worries, I don't think you did anyway.  I'm mostly just noting differences in taper philosophy and that there is no one perfect answer every night.

in my opinion option #2 was very exciting and not so safe at all.  option #2 was very close to a wide stage with PA speakers positioned to the far left and far right with little to no fill speakers in the middle.  i liked option #2 because it was the closest location to the band and put most of the audience behind the mics.  it was the relationship of the mics to the audience that made it the "safe" choice in my opinion, but this was not the safest place to get a great recording.

I think you have positions 2 and 3 mixed up.  2 is the top of the seating area farthest from the stage, 3 is closest to the band in the front row of seating, 5 is a few rows farther back from there in the middle of the crowd somewhere between 2 and 3.

Realizing that, it sounds like we are actually pretty much on the same page here.  3 is where I would most like to be assuming it all works there and the PA has wide enough dispersion so it isn’t too dull and off-axis like it can often be up front/center.  That position gets the most direct sound off the stage, has the most optimal stereo soundstage of both the band spread across in front and audience behind (I’m recording in surround so I like having the audience and ‘room ambience’ spread out behind the recording position if possible), and is in the region of good potential audience enthusiasm with less potential for aimless distracted talking.  That is my optimal candidate for ‘potentially great’ but risky location.

5 is far safer from a PA sound perspective since it is right in the probable PA sweet spot and not as close.  I called that the ‘best safe bet’ as a balance of all aspects, although being right in the middle of the audience it is ‘less crowd safe’. It also gets plenty of crowd enthusiasm, possibly too much depending on the crowd.

2 is safest in terms of managing a ‘rowdy crowd’ and probably the second safest PA bet.  It is probably less involving in terms of up-front sound impact and presence and audience enthusiasm and may be more susceptible to chatter, being in back.  It is certainly the easiest potentially good sounding choice and I may well have chosen to record there myself.  I should have called it ‘potentially less exciting’ than the other two positions and not ‘unexciting’.

5 - best safe bet, I'd start there in case you cannot walk around to listen and then move your recording position.
3 - may be better but only listening can determine that.
2 - safe but less-involving, unexciting potentially less exciting choice.

:)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:53:20 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline spankee02

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 07:18:21 AM »
this venue looks outstanding, good luck n have fun!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 04:20:20 PM »
^^^  It was a great venue!  Friendly, low key, and cozy.  Surrounded by forest.  I will definitely be checking their schedule in summers to come...

As for the spot, I am quite glad we ended up in location 2.  1 (front and center) would have been my first choice, but there were some practical considerations (like having access to a soundboard feed).  Not to mention some people were dancing in that area.  4 (side of the soundboard) would have sucked from a crowd noise perspective as the bar/smoking area/bathrooms/merchandise stand were directly behind the seating.  5 (center in the crowd) would have also been pretty noisy, as the most serious fans were really packed in there, and again far from the board.  With 2, we ended up having the board effectively baffle the bar/crowd behind us, were able to easily access the board, and were able to take up a bit more space. 

On top of that, open taping is really an anomaly over here.  As far as I know, we are the only three (I have never encountered others, although there are a bunch of stealthers).  So I think it is important that we don't generate any negative reactions from other patrons, and in spot 2 we were not in anyone's way or sight-lines. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com