Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Side of stage recording? Creative advise sought.  (Read 7696 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Side of stage recording? Creative advise sought.
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 02:14:23 PM »
Overall I like AUD recording better so I kind of lean in that direction when recording.
On nights I have only been able, for one reason or another, been able to get a SBD feed, I don't enjoy the recording as much as an AUD one.
But I love mixing the two.

I'm with you.  A bit of SBD is a great addition to mix in moderate amounts but I don't care much at all for it by itself.  I personally find many mixes lean too heavily on the SBD for my taste.

Didn't realize this was an outside fest.  Doesn't change these things that much except that you probably don't have a chance to try different stuff and figure out what works best as quickly as you could with a more regular club dates.. at least until next year.  One thing that it might change is big outdoor subwoofers dominating an off to the side AUD mic placement simply due to their proximity and higher output.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 02:19:21 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 02:45:53 PM »
The more options you create for yourself, the more chances you have of getting the recording you can use.  I'll share this story to illustrate. 

By happenstance, I was shooting a fireworks video this weekend and put my Sony away from the crowd close to the place where the fireworks were located.  The music track they planned to use with the fireworks failed at the beginning of the show, but started working near the end.  The camera audio picked up the crowd noise and the obvious start/fail music track, but the Sony didn't.  The Sony gave a good capture of the fireworks.  So I was able to take the Sony audio and make it appear like it was intended for the music track to start late and used the camera audio for the applause at the end.  The combination of the two different audio tracks enabled me to cover over the music track failure on the video.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »
I've been supprised that the internal mics on the DR2d are as decent as they are.  How do you know the mics on the DR40 are "much better"?

Just from people's feedback on this site

I have a DR40 and think the internal mics are just so-so. I don't have a DR-2d (yet) so I can't compare the two.

I agree that AUDs in general are better than SBDs but a matrix of the two is usually great. The exception might be at a big outdoor event where everything is in the mix in good proportions and there is a lot of crowd between you can the stage.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 09:01:46 PM »
I've been supprised that the internal mics on the DR2d are as decent as they are.  How do you know the mics on the DR40 are "much better"?

Just from people's feedback on this site

Syncing files from two seperate machines can be a pain.  Much easier to record on one machine if you can manage that.  A bit of extra effort to make that happen will pay off.  Are you certain you really need mics out in the audience (the AUD+sbd approach)?  Try it both ways to find out if its worth that effort, mics in the audience may not necessarily be better (the SBD+aud approach).

I agree, but will have to wait and see ( I did run two DR-2D's back in Aug. when the board was so far back I know the crowd would overpower the band sound wise. This is based on last years experience at same festival...).
But I have not gotten around to trying to sync the two as of yet...

Overall I like AUD recording better so I kind of lean in that direction when recording.
On nights I have only been able, for one reason or another, been able to get a SBD feed, I don't enjoy the recording as much as an AUD one.
But I love mixing the two.

This is outside?  Bleed from nearby stages at a festival or other environmental noises?

"Bleed" was for lack of a better term and for brevity.
Should have said that the sound dissipates outside where it does not inside.
Again, lack of better term...
[/quote]

I couldnt agree more! I LOVE DAUD recordings. SBDs are routinely "dry" and "sterile"! I would much rather have an AUD recording. Now when its possible to mix the SBD/AUD sources, I LOVE those recordings. I usually go 60% AUD and 40% SBD, but every recording is different ;)

I have two M10s and believe it or not, they sync VERY EASILY in post ;) I have talked to others who have used two M10s and synched them in post, and their experiences were the same as mine. Super easy to sync in post ;) Never used two DR2Ds tho, so I have zero experience with those ;) Obviously, the best way to do it would be AUD/SBD into the same DR2D. But thats not always possible!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com