Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM M-10 + MS-TFB-2 buzz noise  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Dave_Scream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony PCM M-10 + MS-TFB-2 buzz noise
« on: September 05, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »
Hello.
Im using Sony M-10 as high quality microphone for computer. So I connect sony's line out to computer Line In and it works fine.
Also I received external microphones Soundprofessionals MS-TFB-2. When I connect external microphones to sony m-10 and then to line in, I hear high frequency buzz noise.
I bought ground loop isolator, but It dosent helped me.

What is reason of this noise.
Example here https://soundcloud.com/dave_scream/sound-2   at the end I switch off Soundprofessionals microphones and Sony work with internal microphones - no buzz noise with internal... why I can hear it with external microphones?
Sorry for my bad english. Im from Russia, Rostov-on-Don.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony PCM M-10 + MS-TFB-2 buzz noise
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
do you hear the same buzz if you simply record onto the m10 using the external mics, or does the noise only show up when the m10 is plugged into the computer?

Offline Dave_Scream

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »
do you hear the same buzz if you simply record onto the m10 using the external mics, or does the noise only show up when the m10 is plugged into the computer?
Yes, I hear that noise only if Sony M-10 connected to computer. Also if I take Sony in my hands, the noise disappears...

But Im using ground loop isolator .. it must eliminate grounding problems..

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:06:08 PM »
Also, I doubt this matters, but when running mics directly into the M10, you should run MIC-IN! Also, make sure PIP[Plug In Power] is ON. The M10 cant supply the mics the proper voltage to work at 100%! They will DISTORT if the music is too loud ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 11:55:46 AM »
It seems like introducing the computer into the chain is adding the noise. Computer sound jacks are not usually high-quality. The buzz may be from the computer jack itself. I don't know if a ground loop isolator can fix that--maybe someone with more knowledge does.  In my very limited experience, grounding problems tend to hum, not buzz.

Also, as before, you are getting much higher output from the TFB-2--just look at the height of the waveform. When you lower the volume in the first part, the buzz goes down too. I wonder how it would sound if you amplified the quieter parts from the internal mics to the same volume. (There's an Amplify function in Audacity.)

Your setup should be mics--Mic-In--Sony Line Out--Computer Line-in. (Are you sure your computer has a line-in? and not a mic-in, which has its own preamplifier adding more noise to the signal). When you plug the mic into the Sony mic jack, the Sony will ask you if you want plug-in power--you do.

You are recording very quiet sounds and really cranking them up, which is going to bring out any noise anywhere along the signal path. You'd have to spend thousands of dollars more for ultra-low-noise (no one ever promises noiseless). In the real world, are you going to be using the mics to record such super-quiet sounds?

Offline Dave_Scream

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »
Bad news. Now the noise is more noticeable than before. And now it exists even if I record without computer.

Recorded some example. Rec gain 7 and sensitivity Low.
https://soundcloud.com/dave_scream/sony-pcm-m-10-1

Only Sony PCM M-10 and MS-TFB-2, no computer or other devices in chain. I dont know is it defect of my MS-TFB or Sony M-10.
I will try to put my sony to authorized repair center, if with their microphone everythink will be okay, so it is MS-TFB problem. Maybe they are working as antenna?

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 05:34:05 PM »
hmm. if the plug in power didnt work, then try changing the sensitivity (though that may do nothing) if that doesnt work, try pluging the mic straight into your computer, that way you can find out if its the mics. otherwise call sony and say its defective.

good luck
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Dave_Scream

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 02:33:55 AM »
hmm. if the plug in power didnt work, then try changing the sensitivity (though that may do nothing) if that doesnt work, try pluging the mic straight into your computer, that way you can find out if its the mics. otherwise call sony and say its defective.

good luck
Thank you for advice.
I found my old mp3 player Ritmix 9000 with recorder and external mic features, and plugged MS-TFB-2 mics into it - and the noise was the same. So I understand that problem is with my microphones MS-TFB-2.

When Im moving the mics around my room the noise changing and in rare cases can even disappear on short time. The cable in this mics it pretty long, and thick, so no shield maybe. And its working like antenna.

Then I switched off all my electronics and the any noise disappeared.

Electricity in my house dosent have ground, so I think that some potential goes to computer case and other devices, so they are all working like big antenna emitter, and not shielded long MS-TFB-2 cable receive this.

The problem is that sometimes even when making outdoor records I can hear this buzz noise it not so noticeable... I think it is because of not shilded MS-TFB-2 cable.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com