Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR deck AudioReality Stealth cardioid mics some pointers on recording  (Read 4022 times)

Offline greeney52

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I just got this Edirol R-09HR deck AudioReality Stealth cardioid mics and if you would give I some pointers on recording with this deck it would be appreciated.
I'm doing Moody Blues tonight from the 1st row and tomorrow from the 3rd row aisle seat and I would like to know what setting you have the switches on the back of the deck set to?
Also I did an acoustic show last nite and had the volume level at MAX all through the show and this is what I got... http://www.dimeadozen.org/tor..o=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=469170
With the external mics attached with the battery box I do keep the decks mic power off on the switch on the back, correct?
Lastly I put the mics in a hollowed out sharpie that I place in my shirt pocket pointing straight up. How do you do your mics?
Knowledge Is Power....Happy taping!!!
Bless Up, Den

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
If you're a
I just got this Edirol R-09HR deck AudioReality Stealth cardioid mics and if you would give I some pointers on recording with this deck it would be appreciated.
I'm doing Moody Blues tonight from the 1st row and tomorrow from the 3rd row aisle seat and I would like to know what setting you have the switches on the back of the deck set to?
Also I did an acoustic show last nite and had the volume level at MAX all through the show and this is what I got... http://www.dimeadozen.org/tor..o=%2Faccount-cp.php&id=469170
With the external mics attached with the battery box I do keep the decks mic power off on the switch on the back, correct?
Lastly I put the mics in a hollowed out sharpie that I place in my shirt pocket pointing straight up. How do you do your mics?
Bless Up, Den

Welcome to the hobbie and to the forum ;D

If you're using an external power supply for your mics (like a battery box), the power on your recorder should be turnet off.

Cardioid mics are specially sensitive to orientation changes, also to positioning them towards the PA. If you have some kind of hat/baseball cap/glasses/whatever thing where you can mount the mics so they are above your shoulders, your recording will improve vastly. If you have them clipped to your t-shirt, the recording *might* be muffled, specially tomorrow when you'll have people in front of you and not a straight free way between the mics and the PA.

Good luck :)
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Marshall7

All switches on the back set to off.  Input into the line in jack (which means the mic power is disabled anyhow, no matter what setting the switch is set to).

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
If you're a
Bless Up, Den

Welcome to the hobbie and to the forum ;D

If you're using an external power supply for your mics (like a battery box), the power on your recorder should be turnet off.

Cardioid mics are specially sensitive to orientation changes, also to positioning them towards the PA. If you have some kind of hat/baseball cap/glasses/whatever thing where you can mount the mics so they are above your shoulders, your recording will improve vastly. If you have them clipped to your t-shirt, the recording *might* be muffled, specially tomorrow when you'll have people in front of you and not a straight free way between the mics and the PA.

Good luck :)
I dont think that company makes cardioid mics.. Only omni.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline greeney52

• Taperssection Newbie
My mistake, condenser mics....http://www.audioreality.com/your_audioreality.htm
Last nights show didn't turn out and I tracked it down to a faulty cord from Battery box to deck so replaced it.
It was a brand new cord that came with the mics to so disappointed in that!
My recordings have been coming out weak on volume as well with the "Mic Gain" set off as everyone suggests but I tested it today with both set at on and off and the level seems right and clear with the mic gain on.
With line in the level is low like the mic input without the Mic Gain on so I'm going to use mic in with line gain on tonight at my 2nd try recording The Moody Blues tonight.
Last night I had a woman clapping along to "every" song last night anyway so that eases my disappointment with that show not coming out.
There was also a clapper and screamer, Good to see you Justin about 8 times!
Wish me luck for tonight.
I rigged my hat with the mics so they are positioned better now as well.
Bless, Den
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 06:44:26 PM by greeney52 »

Offline greeney52

• Taperssection Newbie
It turned out really awesome!!! Another taper right next to me and no noisy people.
I'll be putting it up after I split it up later tomorrow Saturday later.
The Moody Blues
Hult Center-Eugene, Or.
10/22/2013

01.Gemini Dream
02.The Voice
03.Steppin' In A Slide Zone
04.You And Me
05.Nervous
06.Say It With Love
07.Peak Hour
08.I Know Your Out There Somewhere
09.The Story In Your Eyes
10.Your Wildest Dreams
11.Isn't Life Strange
12.Higher And Higher
13.Tuesday Afternoon
14.I'm Just A Singer In A Rock And Roll Band
15.Nights In White Satin
16.Question
17.Ride My See-Saw

Graeme Edge - drums, percussion, vocals
Justin Hayward - guitar, vocals
John Lodge - bass, guitar, vocals
Gordon Marshall - drums, percussion (1990-present)
Norda Mullen - flute, guitar, percussion, vocals (2003-present)
Julie Ragins - keyboards, percussion, guitar, saxophone, vocals (2006-2009, 2010-present)
Alan Hewitt - keyboards, vocals (2010-present)

Source:  greeney55 Audience recording #3 > AudioReality Stealth condenser mics> Edirol R-09HR DAT master "WAV" (16 bit 44.1khz)> Traders little helper > FLAC > DIME > You = ENJOY.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
I've never used the Audio Reality mics but like most external mics if you get them in the right position at the right settings you wont go too far wrong. Actually I got a tape in a trade with these mics and it was pretty impressive for the price

ilduclo

great to see another Eugene taper!!

I saw the mics were less than 150, and look pretty stealthy.  Samples sound OK, too

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:00:36 AM by ilduclo »

Offline greeney52

• Taperssection Newbie
Thanks folks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com