Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR / CA9100 / DPA Mics Concert Recording Settings? Pointers?  (Read 2699 times)

Offline lucidfox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I am about to go on a road trip and will be attending 6 Nine Inch Nails concerts in Las Vegas (2 shows), Portland, Spokane, Vancouver BC and Seattle. A few years ago I purchased the following equipment:

Edirol R-09HR recorder
Church Audio CA9100 battery box
(2) DPA 4061 omni directional mics.

I have attempted to record similar shows in the past and never get very good results (cloudy and overblown low end/bass). From what I have read on the boards, this equipment should be okay for these type of loud concerts.

Anyone with similar equipment have recommendations for the best settings for the R-09HR /Church CA9100 / DPA 4061 combination? Or any pointers in general to obtain the best results would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Offline deadhoarse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Edirol R-09HR / CA9100 / DPA Mics Concert Recording Settings? Pointers?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 10:15:36 AM »
Using this same setup at shows that I assume were as loud as the NIN shows you'll be attending, I have gotten good results running the CA-9100 at around "11 o'clock". I would plug it into the line input of the R-09HR, then adjust the levels manually on the R-09HR so they generally peak around -6dB. Try to get the mics up as high as possible, running them too low can cause things to sound "cloudy" like you mentioned. These mics do tend to suck up a lot of bass at shows like these, so be prepared for some post-processing to your tastes.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 03:34:23 AM »
^ Like he said, except I would get your peaks at about -12dB, lock it, then put the recorder away - you won't need to babysit the R-09HR or worry about SPL going higher during the show that way. Don't stand too far back or else things will get muddy with the DPA's.

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 12:38:42 PM »
I had the same equipment in use and I propose to set the recorder level to 40(best gain at least that I read/was told) and lock it...adjust the levels with the CA 9100 for best results...

Just my 2 cents,

SF

Offline taper666

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 01:26:59 PM »
get better mics... DPA4061 pick up much bass, that's their nature. The only great results I know from those lavalier mics are acoustic shows or any singer-songwriter stuff. You might get better results with cards!
Rec:  AKG CK63 - Nbob actives - Naiant Tinybox - Roland R-05
Play: FiiO X3 - Shure SRH1440

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 01:56:06 PM »
I am about to go on a road trip and will be attending 6 Nine Inch Nails concerts in Las Vegas (2 shows), Portland, Spokane, Vancouver BC and Seattle. A few years ago I purchased the following equipment:

Edirol R-09HR recorder
Church Audio CA9100 battery box
(2) DPA 4061 omni directional mics.

I have attempted to record similar shows in the past and never get very good results (cloudy and overblown low end/bass). From what I have read on the boards, this equipment should be okay for these type of loud concerts.

Anyone with similar equipment have recommendations for the best settings for the R-09HR /Church CA9100 / DPA 4061 combination? Or any pointers in general to obtain the best results would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ryan
I would put the bass roll off on. And use about 50% gain on the 9100 then get as close to the sound source as possible. You should be ok. I am not talking hugging the PA or anything but you dont want to get the room sound by being too far back. With omni mics you have to work the source closer.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com