Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hi everyone! I'm my band's A/V guy. I have a question for you all...  (Read 6953 times)

Offline Ardge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
My band is currently reuniting after a 4 year hiatus.  I joined them in '97 and in '04, we took time off for other things.  (kids, school, marriage, etc.)  I've always considered them my band mates, but we just needed a break.  Well, after seeing our guitarist kick major a$$ with his current cover band, we decided to reunite to record all of our unfinished material, play some shows and write lots more music.  We all have ideas that need the band's involvement to get finished.  That said, I've always been the band's A/V guy.  When I joined the band, I upgraded their tape deck recorder to my portable MD recorder.  I recorded every single practice and show with my Sony MZ-R37 MD Walkman and Sony ECM-MS907 microphone.  With the mic positioned correctly in our practice spot, the mix and sound I got in our recordings was absolutely astounding.  I still remember my band mate's faces when they first heard the sonic quality of the MD playback.  It was light years better than their old cassette tape way. 

I've always been a gadget guy.  I mean, I buy technology before any of my friends.  I had a home theater before it was trendy.  I had a LaserDisc player in that home theater.  I have 2 MD decks.  I've been a Sirius subscriber a year before Howard moved there.  Yes, I have an iPhone.  I love gadgets.  My next purchase is going to be a portable digital recorder.  Through reading reviews, I have decided that the Edirol R-09HR is going to be my choice.  I've never heard or worked with this type of technology.  How much better can I expect my band's recordings to be once I upgrade from MD to the Edirol?  I know for sure that making CDs for everyone will be easier now.  Converting MD to MP3 was a headache.  The Edirol process (or any digital recorder's process for that matter) seems too easy to believe. 

I guess I will sum up my first post with saying that I am very excited about my upcoming purchase and I want to hear from some people who will confirm my suspicions that the Edirol will knock my ears off of my head in a good way.

Thanks for reading.

RJ

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Through reading reviews, I have decided that the Edirol R-09HR is going to be my choice.  I've never heard or worked with this type of technology.  How much better can I expect my band's recordings to be once I upgrade from MD to the Edirol? 

Good luck with the R-09HR. It's pretty new, so do post your experiences here. It'll be interesting to read about your first-hand opinion, and see how it takes to wear and tear...

And yes, lossless is the way to go! You'll never look back! Consider taping with the highest bitrate and frequency, which gives much more tolerance for editing in post!

/J
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Liquid Drum

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
The Edirol is the way to go for easy transfer and recording. I used to use MD myself and while I did like it very much, when I switched to the R-09 is was so much easier to record.

You most likely will not get a better sound unless you upgrade your mic. You will most likely get a slight boost in sound quality by recording in 24bit but your mics can only capture what they capture (if you know what I mean).

Anyways, go for the edirol. It'll make things easier for sure.
Mics:
AT933/C

Batt-Boxes, Pre-amps:
CA-9100

Recorders:
Edirol R-09
iRiver H120 (CF Modded)
Sony MZ-RH910 Hi-MD

Video: Canon HV20 E

Offline Ardge

• Taperssection Newbie
Thanks for the replies guys! 

Upgrading my recording microphone is a feasible option for me.  However, how do I know what mic will do me and my band justice?  Any samples I've ever heard recorded on an Edirol are unlike the music I create with my band.  The samples I've heard are like a jazz quartet or some spoken word performance.  My band is loud and powerful.  My bassist plays a 4 string, but uses harmonizers and plays through an SVT.  He's a wall of tone.  My guitar player has alot of crunch but also uses acoustic in his guitar sound.  Most of his guitars have that pizzio pickup.  My singer has an incredible range and just sounds awesome in front of a powerful band.  (We've been described as a heavier and more atmospheric Cranberries.)  We're loud at practice, but we're not like crazy LOUD!  Our PA is just for vocals and monitors at practice.  I'm a heavy hitting drummer like Deen Castronovo but also posses the subtlety of a Stewart Copeland.  I've never lost any of the nuances of my cymbal work with my ECM-M907.  My bass drums always sounds punchy and deep with the 907 too. 

What mic would just make the Edirol just plain out rule and handle such a loud environment? 

Like I said guys, the furthest I've ever gone in digital recording is my MD WALKMAN.  I'm greener than an unripe banana.  Thanks for any and all replies.   

RJ
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:12:28 PM by Ardge »

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
This is what I would do...

Get the Edirol recorder and use it with your existing mic and just see what you get.  If it pleases you, then fine.  If your mic, or the recorder is brickwalling, then you might think about upgrading. 

There are some better quality large diaphragm single point stereo mics (studio projects, Audio Technica etc.) out there (can't remember the model #'s).  If you go this route, you may or may not need a preamp to go between the mic and the recorder (edirol ua-5, mp-2 etc.).

There no reason you can't just upgrade in steps.  Just get a new piece for the rig as needed, or as can be afforded :).

Also, telling us your budget might help with suggestions too.

Or go whole hog and get an Edriol R-4 and stereo mic, so you can pull matrix's(soundboard 2chan, and 2chan stereo mic) and mix those down in post >:D.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 03:50:26 PM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Ardge

• Taperssection Newbie
I'm not afraid to spend money, but I don't want to throw money around like it doesn't mean anything.  (I have tons of bills including a wedding in 80 some days.)  If the r-09hr is going to be about $400-$500, I want to keep my mic upgrade to about the $300 range.  Years ago, my 907 cost around $100.  At the time, it was THEE mic to get for MD recording.  It served me well.  I have no problem investing in quality equipment.  I just need some advice because this is all new territory to me. 

Mics and preamps.....  I'm clueless.  I have a killer set of drum mics (Sure Betas and Sen 504s) but as far as mics for this new recorder, I haven't the slightest idea what even to look for.

Thanks again for your help and reply.

RJ

Offline odartman

• Taperssection Member
  • MMMM! More tasty grooves!
And another gear slut is born >:D

Offline Ardge

• Taperssection Newbie

Why the name calling?  I don't understand nor appreciate it. 

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
I'm not afraid to spend money, but I don't want to throw money around like it doesn't mean anything.  (I have tons of bills including a wedding in 80 some days.)  If the r-09hr is going to be about $400-$500, I want to keep my mic upgrade to about the $300 range.  Years ago, my 907 cost around $100.  At the time, it was THEE mic to get for MD recording.  It served me well.  I have no problem investing in quality equipment.  I just need some advice because this is all new territory to me. 

Mics and preamps.....  I'm clueless.  I have a killer set of drum mics (Sure Betas and Sen 504s) but as far as mics for this new recorder, I haven't the slightest idea what even to look for.

Thanks again for your help and reply.

RJ
Are most of your recordings at home or in a studio where you have access to power? If so could you record on a computer or even a laptop that you might already have and put that $800 or so on some decent mics. Your tapes are only as good as what you have to capture them w/ so this is about the best bang for your $$.

No name calling here its just the fact that this hobby is like the song Hotel California and that you can check out any time but you can never leave ;D
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Ardge

• Taperssection Newbie

Are most of your recordings at home or in a studio where you have access to power? If so could you record on a computer or even a laptop that you might already have and put that $800 or so on some decent mics. Your tapes are only as good as what you have to capture them w/ so this is about the best bang for your $$.

My recordings have always been done in a rehearsal room, absent of any computers.  The only recording device in the rehearsal room is what I bring with me.  Since I plan to be done with the pain in the butt MiniDisc route, I set my eyes on the R-09HR.  That said, this R-09HR investment is all being done for documentation and writing purposes only.  Like I said earlier in my above posts, there isn't a note my band plays that I am not recording.  Studio time is only planned when our stuff is together and ready to be recorded professionally.  Oh the memories..... or nightmares rather.  We recorded a 12 song CD in 1999 that nearly put us all in the poor house.  The mix is so bad, I NEVER play it for anyone either.  Our engineer / producer / mixer royally screwed us.

Maybe I'll wait and see how the HR records before I buy a microphone.  Who knows?  It could be light years ahead of my current MD recordings; recordings that completly impress me to this day.  I just hate working with the MDs.

RJ

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: Hi everyone! I'm my band's A/V guy. I have a question for you all...
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 09:01:41 AM »

It's not an insult, it's a compliment.  We're all gear sluts here.  Welcome to the club.   ;D

BTW, I agree with Scooter.  Try the R-09 with your 907 and see how you like it before you make another jump.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »
BTW, I agree with Scooter.  Try the R-09 with your 907 and see how you like it before you make another jump.

FWIW, I agree with this approach.  If you liked the mic before, you'll probably like the mic now.  Give it a go.  Enjoy the easier transferring of the R09 and decide after a while whether you want to change up the mic or not.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 01:54:13 AM »
I agree, gents......but, can the R-09 supply enough gain for the 907?  I put my old Church Audio fixed-gain 9 volt preamp between the 907 and D8 (line in) I use, with great results.

:) 8)

edit for clarification
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:16:32 PM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 06:39:10 AM »
I agree, gents......but, can the R-09 supply enough gain for the 907?  I put my old Church Audio fixed-gain 9 volt preamp between the 907 and D8 I use, with great results.

:) 8)

I expect that is not a problem.  I expect he can run line-in with enough gain.  If not, he might have to go mic-in, but my R-09 has a ton of available gain, and I expect the new one is similar.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Ardge

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 03:55:10 AM »
Digital recorder noob here ~  What's a preamp in terms of a digital recorder?  How come I never needed one for my MD recorder? 

...and when the F can I get ahold of an R-09HR?  :o

RJ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com