Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what is causing these clicks on my recordings please help  (Read 5529 times)

hexyjones

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: what is causing these clicks on my recordings please help
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 10:55:17 AM »
FWIW - Ive been sending 48/16 to my JB3 from my DAT no problem...the JB3 already has 2-3 shows on it...

FWIW2 - the CO2 wont run on a 9V at all...(ill get those chip #s today SparkE - I keep putting it back together...)

I think - the Radio Shack item will run on a 9v - I think somebody did some tests?

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 11:41:37 AM »
Andrew - what city are you in?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2005, 11:48:14 AM »
Since the problems occur right a way it suggests that power is not the problem although i do suggest going w/ the 9.6v from RS.  I have seen similar problems w/ busted optical cables or adapters.  You said you tried different cables but did this also include any adapter in the chain?  If you did I'd suspect the Optical TX on the Hosa to be the issue.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2005, 01:34:48 PM »
how do i run analog out of the mme? just with a regular xlr cable in the aes connector?

you can't run analog out of the mme
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline andrewkw

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2005, 02:05:25 PM »
i really cant do anymore tests until i get to either a radioshack or home tomorrow.

its not the optical cable because i changed cables.

Queens sets are 2hrs but i have gotten 2hrs from a 9v before.  I will it out with another 9v or possibly a battery pack if i can get one soon enough.  The other thing is the clicks start right away so its unlikely its the battery.

I had it set for 16/44.1 knowing that i was just going to burn this on cd.

i really dont know ive used the mini me about half a dozen times and never had problems like this.  I'm seriously thinking of a quick switcheroo to a v3 but i really like the sound of the gefells >mme and it would be some extra $$$ for the v3.

once i get some more tests done i'll post again.

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2005, 02:14:24 PM »
thanks for the suggestions i can barely sleep knowing i screwed up 2 recordings already of my fav band.  Yesterday was my 20th time seeing them and i really wanted a clean recording

i will try running line in and see what happens.

the thing is i have run this rig before except the jb3 is a different one then ive used in the past.

that being said it seems to work fine when i just go dpa 4061>1/8th cable

hey Andrew, you can always set up your rig in front of your stereo at home and just recording a random disc or whatever, just for the sake of running your rig and diagnosing the problem before you get out into the field at an actual show, trying the diagnose the problem and solve it as your favorite band begins will not turn out well, I try out new mic configs and such at home with my rig fully set up all the time

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2005, 02:32:51 PM »

Assuming you switched to a Known Good Cable.

The other thing is the clicks start right away so its unlikely its the battery.

Unless the batt was low to begin with.  I've bought brand-spanking-new batteries that have been all but dead from the get-go.

Definitely more testing in order...let us know your results.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2005, 03:25:09 PM »

Assuming you switched to a Known Good Cable.

And dirty optical cable ends can make your cable appear bad when in fact, it just needs a good cleaning.  So can Cheetos* dust in the TOSLINK and 1/8" optical receptacles.  The optical recepticles are harder to clean than the ends of your cable.  It takes surprisingly little material to cause bad problems.  I've used a rolled up piece of Tyvek, dipped in alcohol to clean the recepticles.  Tyvek will not leave fibers behind like a Q-tip will and the rolled end gives enough room for dislodged particles to collect so that they can by physically removed from the recepticle.  The alcohol just dissoves any water or oil soluble foreign materials that might have collected there.

*This was the problem with my neighbor's TOSLINK output on their satellite TV box. 8)
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline andrewkw

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2005, 11:44:30 AM »
okay guys i'm back from montreal. 

Apperently the problem is a much simpler and stupid problem.  I had the mini me set at 16/44.1 at the 2 o'clock setting and this should have been on 8 o'clock.  I will confirm this later today (still dead tired and need to unpack).  If this is the case I will be fine for next weeks shows.  I feel really stupid that all i had to do was turn the knob a bit and everything would have been fine.   I also don't get why the mini me wont send the proper singal when set at 16/44.1 but whatever.  This was also the first shows I taped all year and most if not all of what i did last year was 16/48.  These were actually the first queens shows i screwed up taping out of more then a dozen so i guess its not that bad.  they would have deffinalty been the best sounding if not for this.

I'll post again tonight to confirm this is the problem and I thank you all once again for your help.

Assuming the next 4 shows are fine they will be up for torrent, but if anyone would prefer me to send them discs of the show either in flac or audio format, just pm me and i'll make sure they go out soon after i get back.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com