Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stealth equipment advice, which Church mics  (Read 3213 times)

Offline hardpan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Stealth equipment advice, which Church mics
« on: June 20, 2018, 03:56:35 PM »
Hello everyone, my first post here. Completely new to taping, and I was hoping to get some advice from you all. I'm tried using the search function, to no avail. I have some really basic questions about Church audio microphones, and what other equipment I will need to be able to start recording. I plan on primarily recording Dark Star Orchestra concerts, usually indoors and with music played at a high volume. The band and most  of their venues allow recording, and I will probably set up on a stand for those, but I would like to have the stealth option at tougher venues. I plan  on getting the Roland R-07, after reading some good reviews here on the site. I am stuck between which Church mics to buy, either the CA-11 or CA-14, and whether I should select omni or cardoid. Finally, what will I need to properly power the microphones? Will the Church battery box work properly, or will I need a preamp? I will be very grateful for any input. Really love seeing DSO, and I feel like they deserve more people recording their music, so I want to give it a shot.

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
Re: Stealth equipment advice, which Church mics
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 06:06:13 PM »
You’re turning people off the us of the term “stealth” which isn’t relevant to openly taping a cover band. Have owned all this gear PM me and I’m glad to help.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 06:15:56 PM »
I believe any of the Church battery boxes or preamps will power the Church mics just fine.  You may want to get a pre like the CA9200 to give you gain in addition to power for the mics. 

As to CA11 v. CA14, I haven't used the CA11 so I can't speak to that.  Also I've only used the CA14 omnis, not the cards.  Your best bet is to listen to samples of each, and given the popularity of Church mics you shouldn't have any trouble finding samples.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 06:26:33 PM »
Generally speaking, the cardioids are going to be workable in more circumstances than the omnis — if you're anywhere other than up front, say, or if there's a chatty crowd. But other than that, yeah, you should listen to some recordings with each of the four mics and decide what you like.

The UBB will power any of these just fine. I haven't used the R-07, but I doubt you'll need a preamp in addition.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 07:11:06 PM »
I say go for the 11s purely for the fact that you can get card and omni caps and use whichever you prefer (I prefer the tone of the 11s to the 14s, but not really sure I could explain why)

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 07:08:20 PM »
Small Church Audio mics...without a doubt or any question, the CA-14 cardioids are the way to go.  If you're unsure, do what I did before making my decision, go online and listen to several recordings, comparing the mics that interest you (using examples from comparable venues and locations within).  I felt the 11's and the 14's were like night and day.  I'm very happy with my choice, and recommend them often.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 02:34:35 AM »
Take a look at the CAFS mics as well, for those situations when you want to go really low profile. I don't know whether they are featured on the Church Audio website, but I know he made a batch of these not too long ago. FWIW, I've run these little guys on a stand too, with remarkable results.
Kudos for getting out there to tape DSO! The only time I've missed them over the past 4-5 years in my area (Seattle) is when I happened to be in Kauai when they rolled through. Other than that I would have been there  :D
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.167 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com