Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 4 Mic Matrix using all cards?  (Read 6144 times)

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
4 Mic Matrix using all cards?
« on: September 19, 2003, 01:47:58 PM »
Wondering if anyone has tried a 4 mic matrix using all cards?  I know the best way to find out if it works is to just do it, but figured I'd see if it was even worth trying.

I'm thinking AT831(DIN) with Oktava MC012(xy) through a UA-5.

Thoughts on possible problems? Phasing issues?  Muddy sound?

Any help is appreciated.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
Re:4 Mic Matrix using all cards?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2003, 02:02:52 PM »
Only way to really know is to try it, especially with two different makes of mics.  If you're close to the soundsource you won't have many problems with phasing, but again, it depends on the mics performance to each other (not very familiar with either ones), amongst other things.

I've run 4mic mixes with card/hypers, hypers/omnis, cards/omnis, cards/fig8, etc.  No problems with phasing once you find a good spot.
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2003, 02:04:27 PM »
Definitely the best way is to go out and try it!
Taping is all about finding out what works and what doesn't.

How were you thinking of running the 4 mics?  All on the same stand or in different parts of the room?
Depending on how you do this, one thing to look out for is overlap.  An article i recently read on surround sound miking was quite interesting, but nothing too ground breaking.  
They used hypers to help reduce the chance of overlapping between the 5 Oktava mics.  

Phasing is definitely an issue if they are run on separte stands, say one up front and one behind.  Sounds travels at different speeds depending on temperature and humidity levels.  However, if you are in a small enough room, you can possible get away without any major phasing issues.  

Muddy sound is hard to say depending on type of soundsystem, type of room, etc

Go out and give it a try!

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2003, 02:34:18 PM »

How were you thinking of running the 4 mics?  All on the same stand or in different parts of the room?
Depending on how you do this, one thing to look out for is overlap.  An article i recently read on surround sound miking was quite interesting, but nothing too ground breaking.  
They used hypers to help reduce the chance of overlapping between the 5 Oktava mics.  

Phasing is definitely an issue if they are run on separte stands, say one up front and one behind.  Sounds travels at different speeds depending on temperature and humidity levels.  However, if you are in a small enough room, you can possible get away without any major phasing issues.  

Phil
I'll be running all on the same stand with the Oktavas a bit higher than the AT's (Oktavas in shock mounts and the AT's on a flexible T-bar).

Guess I'll see how it works.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 03:06:23 PM »
Let us know how it goes!

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

cpclark

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2003, 10:24:40 PM »

Phil

i believe that arca was on decca tree's in the new MIX Magazine, it was a good article IMO, might try this at some point in my taping path, that sabra surround mount is pretty cool, and worth trying at some point, everyone should check that article out.
-and i would think the overlap issue could provide some phanse problems and micing different parts of the room would result in some time delay, and would need editing during post, just my .02

Offline Kwonfidelity

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Press Record!!!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2003, 06:04:26 PM »
Here's a sample of a 4mic mix.  Not all cards, but will show you what time delay in the polar response can cause.  It opens up the soundspace, but it also catches the reflections off the walls.  Makes for a very dynamic recording.  Different, unlike the two channel most people are used to:

9/20/03
California Guitar Trio(opener) &
John Scofield
Variety Playhouse, Atlanta
1&2: mk41>kc5>cmc6xt (17cm/90deg)
3&4: mk2>kc5>cmc6xt (16" split)
Mixdown: SD442>V3

Let me know if you want to hear it.  shns and dats.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2003, 06:06:17 PM by Kwonfidelity »
Southern Recording, Inc.
High Fidelity Audio Capture

cpclark

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 02:25:09 AM »
i'd love to get a copy of that, let me know how through PM or here
-chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com